laurenmheath

Master bedroom - built in wardrobe layout

Lauren Heath
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi All!
I'm having built-in wardrobes (stud walls and plaster not wooden ones). The wardrobe will be the length of the entire wall and come out to be flush with the start of the bay window so 2.4ft.
I've been asked to draw up some ideas as to how I want the layout inside to be.
On the outside. It will be two sliding doors, one each end (kind of like his and hers) and a wall mounted Tv in the middle.
There is a chimney breast which will be plastered over and will stick out around 8 inches so on the right hand side there will be less than the 2.4ft depth.
I was thinking of having rails to hang clothing on the left and right of the wall with shelves above and below the hanging rails. The height of the room is around 8.6ft so I think this is achievable?
Any surrounding space would be shelving and room for accessories, duvets and towels.
Does anyone have a picture of the layout in their built in wardrobe or any ideas?
Thank you :)

Comments (29)

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

So, confused................are you having two built in wardrobes either side of a Chimney breast? In which case, you can't just have two sliding doors, you need two on each wardrobe. I wouldn't worry about the depth as the average depth of a flat pack wardrobe is 600mm (24") and you have 28".

Maybe you could add to the plan the width and depth / position of the Chimney stack and then the planners can have a go.

• Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    So so sorry for the awful drawing but I'm in work so it will have to do for now.

The chimney breast goes across most of the wall so will build over it as one wardrobe but have two sliding doors as the width will be around 11 1/2 foot long so makes sense to have two doors.
  • Related Discussions

Main bedroom dilemma: Bedroom layout, walk in wardrobe(?)

Q

Comments (9)
    Just a thought, what about putting the bed against the wall of the walk in wardrobe and you can still have your headboard, no need to change or move a radiator and the wife's side of the bed would be next to the wardrobe entrance. It's all a bit cramped by the looks of things and while you'll have your ensuite and your walkin wardrobe you'll still be walking into a box room. Another thought I had to to lose the bedside cabinets and increase the appearance of space would be in to have the bed side lights on the partition wall and the storage built into the stud wall with pull out shelves for those breakfast in bed moments and cups of tea. Change the door to open onto your landing as well!!! Good luck
    ...See More

Layout of master suite - bedroom/ ensuite/ walk in wardrobe

Q

Comments (36)
    I like Jonathon’s first drawing for a couple of reasons. You can have a walk in wardrobe for all the hanging clothes, which can end up looking a bit messy, and have the more traditional type of wardrobe for items that can be boxed up, such as handbags and shoes, and folded clothes / drawer items. I think a walk in wardrobe is better without a window as natural light can fade clothes, so much better to have a bright bathroom with 2 windows. Finally, as you’re building the internal walls from scratch you could look into having a pocket door system into the en suite thereby preventing a swinging door getting in the way of either the wardrobe or the shower.
    ...See More

Unsure about layout of Bedroom/Ensuite/Wardrobe

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Aadil, I offer planning services that can address your floorplan questions as well as show your floorplan in 3D with furniture arrangement. Please feel free to visit www.londonfatcat.com/services to see visual examples or get in touch on hello@londonfatcat.com All the best for your project, Faten from Londonfatcat Interiors
    ...See More

Master a bedroom Layout - Wardrobes

Q

Comments (1)
    Should there be a plan or drawing?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

You definitely won't be able to have just two doors, they'd be far too heavy and i'm not aware of anyone that makes them that wide. They are heavy enough without mirrors on, and i'm presuming you would probably want mirrored to make the room look larger. I'm guessing you will need roughly 5 doors for that span, so two, then one, then two.

If you have open shelving in the end with the Chimney breast that removes 8 inches from the depth, you'd have 20 inches left inside less your frame. That's plenty of room for Shelving at different heights. I would suggest that you split that area and have a shelf half way down from the top with the hangers coming towards you for shirts, blouses, trousers, then a couple of shelves underneath.

Make sure that you get a good professional on the case, you won't have much room to play with regards any other type of Chest of Drawers etc once you have the bed and bedside tables in. You may be able to put something in the bay, but that would be it.

• Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The doors will be normal doors that slide across not the small thin ones with mirrors. I really don't like those!
    I was planning on having four doors, two put together on one side and two put together on the other. TV mounted to the wall in the middle.
    I have a carpenter on the case to build the frame (or stud wall?) then I'll be getting the plasterer to plaster the new wardrobes. He just needs an idea of the internal layout that I want. I love the layout and suggestions for the wardrobes, I'll definitely be going for them! Although, I was thinking of turning the middle bit to face the bay and opposite the other end so you wouldn't need doors all the way across if that makes sense?

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Lauren. I don't know if this is helpful and it's a very boring task but I think you need to work out what layout suits you. Just assess all of the clothes and accessories you have now, work out what needs to be hung and at what length i.e. Trousers versus long dresses and shirts etc, what needs to be folded in a shelf, in a drawer, ties hung, shoe storage etc etc and literally measure out the space you need for everything. As you're building up to the ceiling obviously make sure you don't have anything up there that you need to access on a daily basis. As I say it's a boring job but everyone has different needs and you may have a collection of 300 shoes or something :)

• Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Luckily, we have a mud room or I may have needed the whole thing for shoes! haha.

I just wanted suggestions in terms of what would work. I'm unsure of all the measurements and hadn't thought of the fact I may need shelves rather than drawers, etc. So its all helpful stuff :)

Anything is better than my current set-up which is clothing hanging on my curtain pole!

Thanks for everyones suggestions. The room is quite small so I wanted something to use well which I think built-in wardrobes will do. The door goes against the wall rather than into the room so that does allow much more walk space. The estate agents that produced the floor plan were useless. Not one room has accurate measurements. Apparently theres a window between our 2 spare bedrooms - there isn't!

• Laura Thomas
    7 years ago
    We have a chimney breast hidden in our bank of wall to wall wardrobes, and have used the rails that come towards you as suggested by Man about the House, with a shelf above and baskets on runners further down.
    It all depends on your mix of items that you need storage for.
  • Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, Laura :) I have more clothes to be hung (I work in an office so suits and blouses, etc) whereas my partner is the opposite and has more 'folding' type of clothes. I'm definitely going to have the layout as suggested by man about the house. In my head, I had a his and hers idea where all my stuff is to the left and his to the right but I think it might work best if we share the entire space or do you think that would be annoying?

• PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    7 years ago

Hi Lauren Heath,

There are many options that you could choose from, it all comes down to the budget as well as style that you like. e.g. Our furniture can be finished in over 1500 colours and over 50 wood finishes.

Kind Regards,

A&S Kitchen Wardrobe

• Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've already got a carpenter doing the wardrobes, he just wanted ideas from me as to what I want but thank you :)

Do you know anyone in Wales that could create alcove cupboards in this style? - I need two built in cupboards in my alcoves for the kitchen. My carpenter is really busy and I've given him so many jobs to do, haha.

• Laura Thomas
    7 years ago
    We have ours split into his and hers (I have 60% and he has 40%). Men's shirts and trousers need less hanging length than say a dress, so can fit a second rail in below.
  • PRO
    Sharpdesign
    7 years ago
    Reversing the door swing helps
  • PRO
    DIY Alcove Cabinets
    7 years ago

Hi Laura,
    we can help you with the alcove cupboards in your kitchen. We make

made to measure alcove units that come in a flat pack format. The alcove cabinets are bespoke but more affordable as you or your carpenter takes care of the installation and painting. Prices start from £390. Please do take a look at our website which can provide you with an online quote http://www.diyalcovecabinets.co.uk/price-calculator. All the best Samantha

• Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sharpdesign - the door already swings the way you have drawn. The plans are all wrong! The door comes right up to the back of the wall so we couldn't have anything behind them.

DIY Alcove Cabinets - I'll check them out :)

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 years ago

I have recently re-organised fitted wardrobes and I would say people focus far too much on hanging space and don't allow enough room for shelving - jumpers, jeans etc.

I would consider carefully what you need to keep in the wardrobe - do you need extra long space for dresses, taller storage for boots etc. Proper planning now will make sure that whatever you create will be effective for you.

I created a small vanity on the chimney breast as this was just fitted with a mirror and the small room did not allow for any free standing vanity.

I used acrylic shelves to keep the area looking light and they are reflective.

Downlighters also increase the light to the space.

Hope this helps

Jill

• Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I definitely agree that good planning from the outset is crucial! - I've spent a couple of days running through it all and will definitely be incorporating more shelves/ drawers than I originally had planned to. I think longer hanging space on the left (side with more depth) would be useful for my occasion wear and smart work attire. I will be having hanging space on the right hand side too but less, I'll be focusing on drawers/shelves on that side.
  • PRO
    Sharpdesign
    7 years ago
    GIGO
  • rav1234
    7 years ago
    Hi Lauren,
    Where are you based ? I can recommend a carpenter, found him on this site -- he did a fantastic job in our bedroom . Matches paint colour to farrow & ball .bespoke service so he works out a design to suit you . We tried another big brand first - terrible customer service and the wardrobes were not so great ,I believe they travel as far as London .i will attach photos.
  • rav1234
    7 years ago
    Sorry lighting on dim - I'm taking at night time !
  • rav1234
    7 years ago
    This photo is from my daughters bedroom - also fitter in radiator cover and book shelving, and a window seat ! Price was reasonable considering the work and quality and still cheaper then the big company quote !
  • Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

rav1234 - they are beautiful! I'm looking for doors like that in the alcoves of my kitchen. I'm in West Wales so its quite expensive to have oak wardrobes like yours - definitely talking £1000s rather £100s!

• rav1234
    7 years ago
    Hi Lauren ,

I didn't read the post fully ! Didn't realise you already have a carpenter! good luck with your wardrobes. In hindsight I wish I had designed in extra hanging space .i went more for the visual look I didn't take time to consider the inside space !! So I think you are very wise in planing the inside storage .
  • Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, already have a carpenter who will be making everything. We are going to have plenty of hanging space but also enough drawer/shelving space as I think we have done the opposite to you and focused too much on the hanging space :)

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 years ago

HI Laura

My partner and I share the space in the wardrobe.

That means we can have hanging rails above each other for shorter items, shirts, tops, trousers etc.

We have been able to incorporate more shelving that way for his clothes because he has far more "folding" items than I would.

It works for us!

• Lauren Heath
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Eden Home Solutions - Do you have any pictures? We are in the same predicament i.e. he has far more items to fold and I will hog the hanging rail space!

• PRO
    Eden Home Solutions
    7 years ago

Hi Laura

Yes, take a peek on my home page at the project there.

This is one I did for him.

As the wardrobes were already fitted, I used "cubby storage which has bins for his jeans etc.

There are also further boxes to store pjs etc.

When it comes to using bins or boxes to store clothes, I would advise not using anything that stacks - always go for drawers or one bin/box per cubby. If you have to move one box to get to another then it becomes a bit of a trial and things tend to become untidy quickly.

thanks

Jill

• PRO
    Nordikka - Bespoke Furniture & Steel Doors
    7 years ago

https://www.slidingwardrobessolutions.co.uk/

Please contact me for design advice

• PRO
    Electric Radiators UK
    7 years ago

I am just designing my own at the mo on the IKEA Pax Planner

Quite easy to use and will give you a good idea of what might work

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/customer-service/planning-tools/pax-planner/ 

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.