lauren555

Advice needed for wood panelling in entrance

lauren555
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We have a large, old Edwardian era house with wood panelling on the walls and up the side of the staircase in the entrance (see pics). We are planning a total renovation of the house and have really mixed views about whether to keep the panelling, recycle it, paint it etc.

Under the dark carpets in the entrance is a parquet floor and the entrance faces north east. The dark walls and floors make it feel dark and dingy (even though the door is mostly glass). We would like to keep the walls and restore the floors however there would be too much wood, it would look odd.

My questions are:

- Is it a bad idea to paint the wood panelling a light colour? How easy is it to reverse this if we change our minds in the future?

- If we removed the wood panelling, are we killing the character of the house?

- Is it very costly to move parquet flooring from one area of the house (entrance) to another (ie open plan kitchen/living room) and put some interesting tiles there instead?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.