fiona_blessed

Moving to rent old apartment. Help needed with paint advice & arrangem

Fiona Blessed
7 years ago

Dear Houzzers

I am going to move to a rental next month. I found an apartment to rent that is in my price range, lots of sunlight, an open terrace, good location to work and school.

However, as the pictures below show it is really old that i wake up with nightmares of how I will pull it off to be habitable. The previous tenant painted it in all shades of blue, purple, cream and wall paper in the hallway.

For purposes of time management and costs. I would like to paint it all in white/off white. One I have read it is cheaper to buy a white washable paint but also it will give me a canvas to decorate with colorful pieces of furniture.

The gag is... I have never painted in my life (yes I moved here and been renting in a place that came furnished). Not only am I budgeting for painting but also furniture from living room to bedroom and kitchen gadgets. I live in EU- Belgium and noticed a lot of feedback to other posts has shops that we do not have here.

My questions that I really need advice to please

1. How many layers of paint should I use? What kind of white paint or other neutral paint can you suggest?

2. The picture with the big electrical thing (dont know what it is i picture 3) how can i hide it without causing any problem because would like to use that room as a closet / sewing space?

3. The terrace is open without any protection above it, what kind of furniture material would i invest in for the outside chairs?

4. There is an awkward L shape in the living room meaning that the only ceiling light that is loose at the moment can not cover all the corners in light? How can I make this place feel like home at a low cost?

5. The bathroom does not have a window, how can i keep the steam of the water away to avoid my towels from molding and that steam away from the walls?

6. How can i convince the other tenants that the outside wall would look beautiful and give our building a nice outside look if we washed the wall?

Last but not least, my other alternative is to cancel contract and continue the search for another place which might take too long to find something in rent range and location to public transport or a bicycle which I am currently using.

Any tips to first time renters. Even for things I could have left out.

Thank you so much for you help.

Fiona

Terrace

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.