lightbulbcommunications

Kitchen - where to put microwave & open shelves

Elisabeth Henderson
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit stuck with a kitchen plan and needing some help so I stop waking in the night to agonise over it!!

I'm planning a kitchen that's only 3m long by 3m wide with 3 doorways as the picture shows. This may not look a great place for a kitchen but in fact in our house, it is the best place. So I have to work within the boundaries of the space.

Two problems I am looking for help with:

1. where to put the microwave to free up bench space?? My microwave is 30cm x 450cm wide.

2. And is it ok for open shelves to be, say 20cm deep in some places (where, because I'm tall and if they are deeper, they would bash me on the head when I'm working in the kitchen).

But can they be 30 deep over the corner base cabinets (where there is extra depth & headbashing is not such a risk)?

Note: benchtop pantry is behind a tambour roll-up door and its 30cm deep externally, so leaves 30cm (depth) x 50cm (long) of benchtop clear as a landing pad next to the fridge & 60cm to the right of the cooktop.

if anyone has any bright ideas I'd be super grateful to hear them...I'm worried the kitchen will look a mishmash if symmetry isn't kept with open shelves or even cabinets. But also that the bench will feel (and be) overhung which will also drive me mad every single day.

thanks so much. Liz

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.