tdharvey86

Any non-bespoke kitchens like these? Painted, in-frame, shaker.

Charlie Spaniel
7 years ago

Looking for a kitchen very similar to these produced by DeVol - really classic, traditional, in-frame, shaker style, with that hand-painted, hardwood finish. Trouble is, I can't afford DeVol prices.

I understand that you get what you pay for, but does anybody know any "off-the-peg" fitted kitchens (in the UK - I'm in Yorkshire) that look very similar to these (probably forgoing the hardwood unfortunately!). We have found a local bespoke furniture maker who will do something similar (made of pine) for quite a bit less, and we may go with them, but just wanted to check to see if anyone had come across even more affordable solutions? I've come across slightly similar things, but they never quite cut the mustard visually.

Comments (57)

• whizzywig
    7 years ago

Crown Imperial do an In-Frame kitchen, as well as the regular painted Shaker style. You would get more cabinet options with the Shaker style. Their showroom is in Daventry but there should be a retailer local to you with some displays.

http://www.crown-imperial.co.uk/kitchens/

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

£15k seems like a really good price. Quartz worktops are likely to be £4/5k, so only £11k on furniture seems pretty good.

If you need to get budget down from there you need to consider a plant on door rather than an in frame, you should also consider a laminate rather than a wood.

Lastly you could plan the kitchen with fewer units or pull outs and add more later when your budget allows.

Charlie Spaniel thanked Jonathan
  • Related Discussions

Best places for hand painted shaker kitchen

Q

Comments (23)
    We’ve had our Davonport kitchen for just over a year now and I’d highly recommend using them. The fact that it’s handmade and carries a 25 year guarantee is what sold it to me! Have you been shown around the factory? If not - ask! I loved the showroom but the factory blew me away - that showed me how they can guarantee for 25 years. The passion Richard and his team have for design is infectious, they created not only a beautiful looking kitchen but a solution that truly works for all of my family.
    ...See More

Kitchen dilemmas: Bamboo worktops with cream painted in-frame shaker?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, All of what you have suggested should work well... good colour combination and yes, the bamboo worktops should be less maintenance to those made of oak. As for the sink, white shouldn't cause any problems with the colour in the room. The picture below may have a black granite worktop, but the drip rail and the units are similar colours to what you are planning to work with. Hope that helps - Best of luck! Regards, Bené - SA Designs
    ...See More

Sorry - Another Shaker kitchen question? Which company??

Q

Comments (9)
    Having just gone through exactly the same process and spent literally hours trawling the internet, visiting showrooms and speaking to companies on the phone we ended up ordering with Unfitted from Moreton-in -Marsh. Other companies we considered were deVOL (rather expensive!) and Main kitchen company in York. Unfitted pricing is very comparable to Evie Willow and a bit more than Shaker Kitchen Company, however they have a showroom you can go and view the cabinetry. They are also super, super helpful, nothing is too much trouble and they will come out for free and help with designs, ideas etc. Ask for Mark the owner.
    ...See More

Shaker style doors with thin frame/rail?

Q

Comments (7)
    I saw this is a kitchen showroom in Harrogate. It is a modern take on an in-frame kitchen. It has a painted wood grain door, sat in a frame and is available in various colours. For more details you would have to speak to them- Townhouse Design Harrogate
    ...See More
  • LTS
    7 years ago
    Agree with jamie. We are likely using DIY kitchens too & have visited their showroom in Yorkshire a couple of times.
  • Charlie Spaniel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all - plenty of great advice there. Sounds like my current quote is about right for what I'm looking for, so any reduction would have to come from reigning in our requirements. Perhaps I'll splurge, though!

• clairef09
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago
  • titiankim
    7 years ago
    We got our kitchen from Murdoch Troon in Lincolnshire, but I think they only do wooden worksurfaces http://www.murdochtroon.co.uk/
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    We've design lots of kitchens for people buying from DIY kitchens - none of them have ever come back afterwards and said anything bad about them - we did a mix and match one from them that's on our pro page - am on phone so can't do a link - but if you click on my icon it'll take you to the pro page - under projects it's the one called K&R Kitchen laundry, lounge, gym and study !

OnePlan are freelance concept planners - selling only design - not product.
  • Charlie Spaniel
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Some interesting concepts there, OnePlan - looks to be quite a lot of crossover in the design of that and what we're looking for. Obviously you don't have a full spect of our requirements, but do you think they price would be significantly below than £15k?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago

In all honesty I don't know as I just design them - I don't price them ! Sorry !

• PRO
    Contemporary Home Design Ltd
    7 years ago

Charlie Spaniel - We retail bespoke German & Italian kitchens

If its a shaker style kitchen you are looking for, have a look at our houzz page we have some great inspiration, but thats not all, there are many styles of shaker doors (handles and handle-less) plus the colours vary!

Why dont you send us your kitchen plan to info@design-home.co.uk with any specific requiremens and we can design a kitchen for you with a free quotation.

• LTS
    7 years ago
    Our kitchen layout has been designed by One Plan above :)
    It's L shaped with island - I'll see if I can dig out the quote from DIY kitchens so you have something to compare with.

All you do is choose what kitchen range you like, email your design to DIY & they will price it up for you.
  • LTS
    7 years ago
    Quote:

Cabinetry £6,750
    Silestone £3,985
    Wooden bar on island £470
    Appliances etc £2,160
    (double oven, integrated fridge freezer & dishwasher, canopy extractor, induction hob & sink). We would look to source these elsewhere though.
  • Es
    7 years ago
    @LTS that's so so good! Wish we knew this earlier! About to pay our last kitchen instalment
  • Es
    7 years ago
    @LTS know if any good parquet wood sources? Looking for our kitchen and I saw it on the sketch by One Plan x
  • LTS
    7 years ago
    @Es I'm afraid not as haven't got that far yet! Building works starting next month....
  • Charlie Spaniel
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    @ES We're also thinking parquet flooring in our kitchen, however, rather than wood (which isn't supposed to fair too well in wet environments) we're looking at luxury vinyl parquet, from the likes of Amtico and Karndean.
  • Es
    7 years ago
    @charlie thanks so much! I'll check that out. My alternative was to cut the tiles in half and do a herringbone effect using wood style tiles, although I wanted a chevron effect. Vinyl sounds good.
  • Es
    7 years ago
    @lts @charlie please let's keep each other updated with how the kitchen looks in done (I'm so nosy!) hahaha. Thanks so much.
  • Claire Nicholson
    7 years ago
    We looked at and fell in love with a deVOL kitchen!

I then shopped around and looked at Evie Willow (Oxfordshire), Main Kitchen Company (in York) and ended up going with Unfitted (Moreton-in-Marsh)

The quality of the Unfitted kitchen is beautiful and it was less than half the price of deVOL. It's currently being fitted, so will share a few pics but a million miles from done!

Our quote from deVOL excluding appliances but including work surfaces was £33k

We ended up paying £18k from Unfitted which included full fitting (he's done 5 days already) plus ...

1.2m x 2.2m island
    2.2m sink run- low cupboards only
    2.4m quadruple larder cupboard
    3m pantry run- low cupboards plus dresser top to hide boiler

Two Neff hide and slide ovens
    5 pan Neff induction hob
    Full size integrated fridge
    Full size integrated freezer
    750mm Belfast sink
    Perrin and Rowe tap including hot water and all the bits that go with that.
    DeVOL brass handles

We have then paid £2,300 for our Unistone worksurfaces in Quartz.

Hope this helps!
  • Seema Minhas
    6 years ago

Claire, your kitchen looks lovely. Can you please confirm if the Unfitted Kitchen Price of £18k included the appliances you mentioned. Also what wood do they use for the cabinets? Many thanks

• Resh
    6 years ago
    If you are ok without in-frame, www.solidwoodkitchencabinets.co.uk

Not the same feel as a DeVol as not an in-frame country, but we wanted something little more modern. More expensive than DIY kitchens by about 30%, but everything is solid oak, great quality, and painted to any colour. This is ours. Cabinets cost about £9k,
  • Andrew Larvin
    6 years ago
    I would find a local guy who makes kitchen units. This was ours going in 12 months ago in Midlands, and we paid 1/3 what magnet and other kitchen companies were quoting us at the time. Plus you can have it made to your requirements, which means less compromises than you get with off peg!!! Best of luck.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    There's also classic kitchens direct and handmade kitchens direct - both in Christchurch but both deliver throughout U.K.
    And John Ladbury in Welshman green . Can't think of any others off the top of my head !

Nb. If you have plinths ( bottom bit of cupboard trim to floor ) like in your inspiration pic you might find it prevents you from getting close enough to the worktop - as no where for your toes !! This could end up causing back ache ! So go for recessed plinth in places where you need to get up close to chop /prep etc etc ! And keep the non recessed for pantry cupboards etc !
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago

Hi Seema,

Thank you!

Yes that £18k did include the appliances (except for the dishwasher as we already had one) but didn't include the worktop, which is Unistone that we got from Granite Planet for £2,300 (although it's worth noting our fab interior designer ordered it for us and passed on her trade discount for that and it should have been £2,700)

The actual cabinetry was £12,250. We then paid £1,500 in extras which included beading to the doors, a surcharge for the Armac Martin brass handles, the oak lining and also the full skirts.

As pointed out above the skirts are a personal choice and an 'extra'- we just liked that look and paid extra to get backache :) but they definitely do them without.

The 2 ovens, full height fridge, full height freezer, Neff flush induction hob were £2,400 but again, we used Create Perfect Interior design (from on here) and the appliances should have been £550 more but the kitchen shop matched the price she was able to get from John Lewis using her trade discount, so we benefitted from a good discount here too.

We then paid £1,300 for the large butler sink and the Perrin and Rowe 3 in 1 hit water tap.

Fitting was then £2,050, taking the total to just over £18,000.

It is worth noting that we received a £1,250 discount across the whole kitchen due to our designer negotiating on price for us, that is split across the price of the cabinetry and fitting.

I know there are a huge amount of things to consider when buying a kitchen and I'm sure the above from Suresh, Andrew and OnePlan are excellent suggestions.

One of the reasons we personally chose Unfitted was due to the units being made as continuous pieces; you'll be able to see if you look closely that it's not all individual cabinets with joins between them, it is all continuous.

They make all of the carcasses and doors themselves (it's surprising when you ask quite a few companies how many out source certain parts and then pull them together internally to create the finished items). They are made from tulip wood and then we paid extra to have them oak lined.

On the plus side their service was very good and really personal (it's Mark the managing director that comes out to visit you) and the quality of the items and fitting in our opinion is superb. We did about 5 amendments before settling on the final design and nothing was too much trouble.

As I guess most companies will these days, it is all hand painted so you can pick any colour from any paint range at all, which was a huge plus for us.

On the disadvantages side, as an independent they don't have 3D software like the large companies, so you won't get a nice 3D image to look at like with a lot of companies. This absolutely wasn't a problem for us as our designer does 3D renders so she worked with the kitchen company for us and we had 3D images and videos of the space, so knew exactly how it would look

We're still not quite finished- waiting for new dining table, soft furnishings etc that are all on order but here are a few more pics if it helps.

Just let me know if you need any other info at all- super happy to help if I can

Best wishes,

Claire

• LTS
    6 years ago
    I just love that blue Claire. I'm thinking of blue for my island. Your kitchen is gorgeous :)
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thank you!

The room is quite an unusual shape (we knocked three rooms together) and quite large, so we didn't want everything neutral or we thought it might get a bit 'lost'. It really defines the kitchen as the central zone across the room.

I looked at so many- it's Como blue from Zoffany.

I loved F&B Stifkey Blue in the showroom but it took on a slightly green undertone in our kitchen, so our designer got me to paint lots of empty shoe boxes with different blue / navy paints to see them at all angles, includinf the sunshine and shadows and this had a lovely warm look to it.

In the sunshine it's quite vibrant but in the shadows / evenings it's more of a navy blue

We didn't use the blue in the pantry though as thought it would be too much, so went for Purbeck stone with wooden worktops to compliment the blue but work better in a smaller space!

Good luck with your project- would love to see some pics when you're up and running :)

• LTS
    6 years ago
    It looks beautiful! I am looking at Hague Blue, Stiffkey Blue & have recently bought Drawing Room Blue but have yet to test it out. I will have to see if I can get a tester of Zoffany too. The extension has started & they are building walls outside before they knock through & do the internal reconfigurations. It's hard testing colours when you have no idea how naturally light the space will be. I did paint a box in Hague Blue (I pinched that idea from another post of yours!)...we are not having glazing in the roof (as I dislike heat) but have 4m bifolds & two big windows. We plan to layer the lighting. I am sure I will be posting lots of pics asking for advice!! :)
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago

Ooohhh! How exciting!

I'm trying to remember the names of some of the others I tried, which were all quite similar colours- there was definitely one from Little Greene (maybe Basalt?) I liked a lot and also Marston and Langinger had a colour that I was very close to choosing!

The space and glazing sounds fab!!! Can't wait to see some pics!

Yes definitely worth spending some time on the lighting plan. If I'm super honest our designer did our lighting plan and I thought it was totally OTT when I first saw it (sorry Gina!) but I'm happy to say I was totally wrong! Haha! It absolutely makes the room and means we can really change how the room looks and feels depending on what we're using it for! In particular I would never have thought of using warm LED strips to light our open shelves but I absolutely love it for evenings and entertaining!

Definitely get posting as you get started- lovely to see things coming together :)

• Seema Minhas
    6 years ago

Claire, thanks for all this invaluable information - lots to think about. Your kitchen looks fab. I'm envious. We are also looking at a blue kitchen with unistone marble effect worktops. Can you let me know what brass finish the Armac Martin handles are, they look lovely. Many thanks

• Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago

The worktop I really wanted was the Silestone Lagoon but it was coming in at over £4,000!! We went with the Unistone Bianco Carrera in the matt finish, which I could hardly tell any difference from the Lagoon. Probably hard to see from the pics but it's actually a pale grey / off white with slight marbling.

The finish on the handles is the Antique Bella Brass and it's not shown on the website but if you call them then they're super helpful- although the price might make your eyes water slightly!

• Seema Minhas
    6 years ago

Ah yes, I really like the Bianco Carrera. I went with Carrara Misterio as I'm using it a splash back as well. Thanks for the info on the handles. Will make contact with them.

• Gina Anderson
    6 years ago
    OP - if you are still looking, Magnet kitchens do an in frame grey kitchen similar to the picture you posted.
  • juliethowes20
    6 years ago
    Hi Claire,
    I really love your kitchen, it looks great. Can you tell me where you got the lights above the island, please? They are exactly what I want!

Thanks!
  • Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago

Hi Julie,

Thank you!

They're the Glass Bell Pendants by Old School Electric and they're sold in a few places- we got ours Fromm Heals. Here's the link

https://www.heals.com/glass-bell-pendant.html?utm_source=google_shopping&m=configurable_scp&gclid=CP706YGTg9ACFVQaGwody40ACA

Hope that helps :)

• juliethowes20
    6 years ago
    That's brilliant - thanks so much Claire!
  • Resh
    6 years ago
    Claire your kitchen is stunning! I love it.

Tip for people - you can change things like handles later. Many designs are available online for less than the kitchen companies want for them.

Similarly a lot of accessories, like in-drawer organisation racks, mirror splashbacks etc can be retrofitted for not much.

Get the cabinets and doors right first as you can dress them easily later.
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 years ago

Hi,

Sorry I am a little late - Hopefully not too later. juliethowes20 we actually went for the same lights but from Amara from Claire's project in the end as they were slightly cheaper and the discount I got was also better from Amara than Heals. https://www.amara.com/products/blown-glass-bell-pendant-bronze 

Suresh Ellawala we also shop around for all parts of the kitchen to ensure we get the most for your budget. The same went for the handles in Claire's project as well as you heard the worktop which is where you can really make a saving.

No problem Claire Nicholson I am just glad you liked the final finished lighting and that it works for how you use your kitchen - that's where it matters :) It's looking fab!!

Gina

• obobble
    6 years ago
    Try Treemark in Nottingham.
  • Catherine Byers
    6 years ago
    Try The Shaker Kitchen Co. I did a rough calculation the other day on their website and the price of a large kitchen (l-shaped run of base units, one full height unit, 2.4mx1.2m island) came out at about £6.5k
  • Ellen Llewellyn
    6 years ago
    Try http://www.handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk - our kitchen was installed when we bought the house but I know from some paperwork left by the previous owners that this is where it came from. From what I can gather the previous owner painted the kitchen herself too to save some money. It's a very good quality kitchen that has stood the test of time and 3 children! I'll have a quick tidy and post some pics if you think it would help. Good luck.
  • edwardallen
    6 years ago
    Claire - your kitchen is incredible! Can I ask where you sourced the pantry door with the glass and writing? It’s exactly what I’m looking for!
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 years ago

Hi edwardallen,

I am Claire’s interior designer, I actually purchased everything individually. The door was purchased as a blank door, we painted it in a Farrow and Ball paint with a seal on top. It was then glazed and I designed the door sign which I had made by Inkmill. The pantry and laundry are the same - but the laundry sign also had frosting.

Hope that helps. Gina :)

• edwardallen
    6 years ago
    Amazing Gina! Thank you so much
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 years ago

thank you ...and no problem. If you need any help with supplier information or a-like don’t hesitate to drop me a message. All the best, Gina

• Claire Nicholson
    6 years ago
    Edwardallen, glad to see Gina’s replied already

They were actually super cost effective and not scarily priced at all (I know if I’d previously read someone had got an interior designer to do them, I’d have backed straight away!)

I am sure you’ll be able to find a similar door before we painted and put the sticker on, but if you can’t let me know and I’ll look back through my emails and find the link for you
  • edwardallen
    6 years ago
    Thanks Claire, much appreciated
  • Akemi Tatsakura
    3 years ago

you might find something at Howdens but I'd rather go with a bespoke kitchen. We had one from Murdoch Troon (https://www.murdochtroon.co.uk) fully installed last spring and it still looks like new after a lot of use, compared to our 5-year old kitchen from Howdens where cabinet colours became faded within two years. Much cheaper than we originally thought it would be also.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Old thread ? Sometimes it’s wise to check the dates as the web site shows related threads that aren’t always current - when someone comments on an old one it pushes the new ones down the que to be answered . :-)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.