jonathanwilliamcarson

Challenge - Cool Ideas for DIY legs for Ikea TYNGEN Tall Cabinet

J C
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have the following tall cabinet (I hope the picture works). http://www.ikea.com/it/it/images/products/tyngen-mobile-alto-bianco__0325212_PE517525_S4.JPG It is TYNGEN by Ikea. It comes with two legs ONLY, the idea being that it is drilled to the wall for the other support... I have tiles so I do not want to permanently drill into these . As i have a sloping roof. the legs provided are slightly too tall ( I need them to be under 10cm) . The two legs they provide are very slim and white and to be honest perfect, except for the height ...I have looked EVERYWHERE for legs that are similar but shorter, and have found NONE ..(They are usually quite stumpy and thick and chrome OR very expensive!) .. So in that instance i decided to look for something else.......I'm just asking for ideas that I may not have thought of yet.... ...... I was trying to find DIY cheaper, shorter alternative legs, frames, wheels, scrap , whatever to mount the cabinet on...I even thought of a deep butchers block cut to size......! I'm looking for a simple cool hardware shop idea or IKEA hack that'll cost in or around £10. I can buy tiny hairpin legs for £5 each so i'm trying to get for less than that!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    7 years ago
    But how are you going to secure it so it doesn't fall over on anyone ?
  • J C
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Not going to secure it to the wall. 4 legs would be fine and we have no kids. The two metal legs provided have mounting plates at the top, so if you cut the legs they'd be VERY short, and you would lose the mounting plates on the two others. . I just need some cool ideas for FOUR metal legs. That's all really.

• J C
    Original Author
    7 years ago

that's it. Four legs for this. :)

• PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    7 years ago
    How about 4 rubber white door stops, this would only lift the unit off the floor by an inch or so but could work.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    They also come in white
  • J C
    Original Author
    7 years ago

thanks Carolina.... i'd already thought about these... I find them a bit chunky to be honest. The 2 legs provided with the cabinet are square and about 1cm wide, and look very well.. If only they provided 4 and were a bit shorter.. ! They don't even sell the legs as spares which I find bizarre. I think slim legs will work best..

• PRO
    Room Revolution Ltd
    7 years ago

why not create a plinth to the desired height, add timber support within it for extra stability.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

As above, why can't you cut the current legs down, they just look like slim metal tubing, plus they fit the fittings??

• J C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The legs are not just tubes, but incorporate mounting plates at the top for two screws, corresponding to the underside of the cabinet ...If I chop the existing legs I will have just created two pieces of square tubing...There's be no way to suitably secure these to the cabinet.. Though ideally something like this would have been the answer....

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

How about removing the rubber grommets from the floor end, cutting and putting the grommets back?

• J C
    Original Author
    7 years ago

how would I mount the leg to the bottom of the cabinet? it will just end up with two square tubes of metal. No mount, no screw holes just a tube.

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

You only cut the end with the black floor grommet, not the end with the fixings. Thus the fixings remain unchanged.

• Roi Cohen
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi. I'm thinking about buying the same cabinet and I have problem with the height also. Do you know what's the size of the original legs? (in cm)

Thanks!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.