jasminesalmon

Paint colour help please

Bobb
7 years ago
I need to decide on a colour for our front room and I'm absolutely terrible at this kind of thing. The only things that will be staying in this room are the wood burner and the antique walnut mantlepiece so I'm keen to get a colour that complements that. Please don't tell me to paint the mantlepiece as I absolutely love it as it is :)

The room is north-west facing so quite dark, Victorian, high ceiling, large bay window with stained glass etc and we're aiming for a relatively traditional and formal look for this room with a carpeted floor (not decided on that colour yet either...)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I go crazy overbuying sample pots...

Thanks!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Kerry Bryan Interiors
    7 years ago

Hi!

What colours are used in your windows stained glass? This may help with deciding. :)

• Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for your comment! Here's a picture. The stained glass is just in the top panes. Window dressing also still tbc...
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen Paint colours - Please help!

Q

Comments (2)
    We will be repainting existing doors as we got a second hand kitchen. Other possibility is to replace doors as I would prefer shaker style but either way we would need to paint part of the existing units. I'll attach a picture of our new units in their previous situ.
    ...See More

Desperately need help with kitchen paint colours please

Q

Comments (17)
    Liz, given the amount of natural light in that interior I would say Downpipe, but it wouldn't look like that in a darker interior. Little Greene Grey Teal 226 or Scree 227 look similar. I don't believe you can accurately colour match digitally, paints behave differently in different lighting conditions.
    ...See More

Help with paint colour please! Home office/guest room.

Q

Comments (8)
    Its funny but I am liking the darker shades more and more. Always used to go for pastels but my tastes are evolving! The matchcards in your earlier pic, on the table, seem to be much lighter than the later pic with the fabric, not sure why. The middle colour, Paradise Found, seems to match the flower in the fabric very well so it would work. But I must be honest I love the two greeny blues more. They are very similar to Inchyra Blue by F&B. Would you go all over? I think with white shutters and white woodwork it would look stunning. Here’s a pic of Inchyra Blue so you can see how similar it is, but a little darker?
    ...See More

Help with paint colours please

Q

Comments (6)
    Ha ha yes looks much better that way round. I was going to have wider slats with more space in between but yours actually looks really nice. Cheers
    ...See More
  • Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks! I'll definitely get a duck egg blue sample pot to try against the mantlepiece.
  • PRO
    Kerry Bryan Interiors
    7 years ago

Wonderful, I'm sure it will look lovely!

• temple274
    7 years ago
    Why not use a William Morris wallpaper to be roughly in keeping with the period of the room? Plenty of designs to choose from, some of which would look stunning with that fireplace.
  • PRO
    Kerry Bryan Interiors
    7 years ago

I completely agree William Morris wallpaper would look great!

• Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm a bit scared of committing to a wallpaper! I'm not keen on feature walls really and worry that it could be an expensive mistake. I'm so bad at visualising how things are going to look...
  • PRO
    Kerry Bryan Interiors
    7 years ago

Maybe ask someone that's good with photoshop to create the desired look, that way you can see a visual before committing to anything. :)

• Joanna C
    7 years ago

What style are you going for? Do you want the room to be light or dark? I'd be tempted to go dark as I can see your fireplace and radiator are dark + it makes sense in a NW facing room - it won't be flooded with daylight so no point trying to fight it.

• Juliet Docherty
    7 years ago

I think you need to plan the carpet at the same time. You don't want to order a carpet that you like and paint the walls and then discover they don't work together. What are your thoughts regarding the carpet? Also, due to the aspect of the room it may be better to make it cosy rather than aiming to make it light. Little Greene Portland Stone 77 is a warm but stony colour that suits darker rooms and looks good with dark furniture. Have you considered sisal flooring? It provides the cosiness and sound proofing of carpet but has a very sophisticated look.

• Tom Hudson
    7 years ago
    Have you considered panelling the lower half of the wall to tie in with the fireplace then I would suggest a dark navy blue on top half of walls, light carpet, possibly white with a navy blue rug???
  • Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks for all your comments-loads to think about here.

We're going to be painting before we get the carpet or sofas so can get them to go with the paint colour rather than the other way round. We want something quite traditional - and obviously don't fancy redecorating any time soon, so nothing too 'fashionable' I guess.

I don't think we have the budget for panelling - or even a picture rail - unfortunately, but that photo does look amazing. The colour they've used on the walls there would definitely be worth a try.
  • Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh I forgot to say, I don't know anything about sisal carpet. Is it hard wearing?
  • Juliet Docherty
    7 years ago

Hi Bob. People either love it or hate it. I always have it on stairs as it is incredibly hard wearing and best of all it keeps its looks. I usually go for a sisal mini boucle. It probably doesn't clean up as well as carpet, but it's worth considering.

• kikiamack
    7 years ago
    You've mentioned that you're worried about making an expensive mistake, so my advice would be to pick out your sofa, window treatment and flooring first and then pick the paint so that it tones with them. Paint is probably the cheapest element of a room, especially if you DIY. I really like the mauve colour in your room. Clarke and Clarke do a curtain fabric "Fiji" in a similar colour which is lovely. With a stone colour paint, it also ties in with duck egg or denim blue accessories. Re flooring, I haven't had sisal, but I have had seagrass in 2 homes and I loved it. You can literally drench it to spot clean say a red wine spillage, and whilst it may take a few days to dry, you will not get a residual mark. It's not as "scratchy" to walk on in bare feet as sisal is either.
  • Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks kikiamack, I'll definitely look into those. I think you're right in that we need to start thinking forward to carpets and sofas now - just so many decisions to make!
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago

Hi Bobb. Reading all the comments you have received you can see that within a good design everything is linked. I would begin by looking at what you have and working outwards with the cost in mind. The sofa and curtains will be your biggest expense but also less likely to be changed (for the same reason).. I would begin by choosing these which will give you a theme and colour pallet to work from. This will also help you determine a layout which may effect which colours you use where. The window covering choice may also alter the light coming into the space which will in turn may change the colours that are most appropriate for the space.

If you go for a neutral colour in those items then the colour in the space would be in the stained glass. Baring this in mind and the era I would go for deep jewel purple or mauve, think velvet! A little tip - feature walls are out this year (so good call there).

If you are spending a lot on the space when you consider all new furniture and large areas to paint and cover with window dressings, it maybe worth having a 3D of the space which is a fraction of the cost and no where near what it would cost to amend mistakes once they are made. I would be happy to send you some examples and prices if you want to PM me. If not, I wish you all the best and I can't wait to see the finished space so keep us updated! :)

• Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Great comment CreatePerfect, many thanks!
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    No problem Bobb. Good luck with it all. I hope it helped in some way but like I said, feel free to get in touch if you need anything. All the best.
  • PRO
    Design By Kurys
    7 years ago

Hi Bob, Your room has a lot of potentials and you have some nice pieces. Many people when they have a North facing room want to make it as light as possible to make up for the lack of light however this can be a loosing battle. I would recommend going for a dark and warm colour which will really bring out the wood of the mantlepiece and pick out the colours in the stained glass. It will give the room a lovely cosy and calm feeling. Farrow and Ball do some fabulous colours. Oval Room Blue or Hague Blue which is darker if you are feeling brave, this is also a slightly more modern blue. Warm moss greens would work too, such as Card Room green. I would also recommend considering building in some alcove shelving on either side of the fireplace to make this your main feature wall. If you paint the shelving the same colour as the walls then this will give a more contemporary feel. If you prefer more traditional then opt for a soft white. Hope this helps. : )

• Carole Menzies
    7 years ago
    I moved house last year and made a couple of decorating and furnishing mistakes because I started in the wrong place thinking of colours etc.
    My advice would be to start with how you intend to use the room, seating needed, position of TV etc. Even think about privacy - will you need blinds or just curtains. You could even draw a room plan. Once you have those practical things sorted have a look at lots and lots of pictures of rooms like yours to get an idea of the sort of overall look you like. Don't forget to think about light - do you want to have the room bright and fresh or dark and cosy? That will help you decide on a colour scheme.
    I know you aren't keen on feature walls but they can look good where's there's a chimney breast and alcoves - here's my favourite wall in my house!
  • Bobb
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks everyone, seeing your pictures is particularly helpful.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.