andinkdesign

Tom Ford Beauty - Use of Space in a London Penthouse

&INK Design
7 years ago

&INK Design have recently completed the full renovation of a West London Penthouse.

This tired (but potentially fabulous!) two-floor maisonette no longer met the needs of the client's from either a private or professional perspective.

We were asked to completely re-organise the available space to suit a family of five (including two teenagers), and to create an elegant entertaining space suitable for the wining and dining of the hyper critical fashion crew, plus sufficient private space for all family members. Quite a tall order in one apartment!

We set out to make the best of the elegant traditional period features and space, and to create a modern interior flooded with light but with both the warmth of a family home and the endless discreet storage essential for an uncluttered modern life.

The upper floor was contained within a Mansard Roof (a roof with steeply sloping sides) and this provided interesting design and lighting opportunities, especially when it came to the incorporation of a luxurious bathroom and ensuite and an open staircase:

Central London Penthouse for MD of Tom Ford Beauty · More Info

We used sky lights, clerestory lighting, strategically placed LEDs and and gloss finishes to maximise the light in the bathrooms, also ensuring ease of maintenance for a busy family!

We were keen to achieve a seamless flow between one living space to the next, and the oak chevron floor is carried through from the entrance hall into the bright space of the ew fabulous double aspect reception room as well as into the kitchen, with full height sliding oak doors to optimise the sense of space. There are no dark corridors here!:

We also used a lot of glass, inlaid mirrors, and LED uplighting to emphasise the sense of openness and fluidity in the apartment.

The integrated LED-lit bookcase above the glass stairway makes the book display a feature in itself - a living feature wall perhaps!

Statement Wallpaper and Kitchen

Fornasetti prints, a favourite of the client, played a big role in this renovation. Alongside some muted tones from Farrow and Ball, we used two different Fornasetti wallpapers in different locations, and the living room upholstery is also from the series. This served as a coordinating theme, adding pattern and colour without being overbearing in an otherwise fairly calm and ordered series of spaces.

The kitchen was made to measure using walnut wood, back painted glass, with laminated plywood cabinets and Corian worksurfaces.

Statement lighting and handles you want to hold onto!

We made the best use of the wonderful high ceilings for some statement modern chandeliers from Bocci and the Modo chandelier by Jason Miller. We chose the bronze version of the latter for its warmth and to work with the hand selected and finished over-size bronze sliding door handles and bronze lighting and switch plates throughout.

We hope that you enjoy!

We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

&INK.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.