ginnylou1

Expansion gap advice when installing a tile rug with wood floor

ginnylou1
7 years ago

I am soon to lay flooring in my kitchen diner. I am using engineered oak board for most of the room but am laying a "tile rug" of encaustic tiles between the long run of cabinets against one wall and the island. The wood floor company state I will need a 10mm expansion gap around all sides of the wood floor area. This means I will need a 10mm gap between my boards and the tiles. They have suggested I use a T shaped wooden threshold (like you'd use in a doorway). I'm worried this will be bulky and unsightly in the middle of my kitchen. Looking at images of tile rugs in magazines and online it seems that a wood threshold is not always used. Does anyone have any experience of laying a tile rug with an engineered wood floor? Are there any other solutions available to disguise the expansion gap. I do have underfloor heating so the expansion gap is necessary. Both products I have selected are of similar depth and are suitable to se with underfloor heating. Any help gratefully received. Many Thanks

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.