krgardendesign

A beautiful transformation of a house in the woods

I was asked to be involved in a project in Hampshire to transform the woodland garden of a client's woodland retreat. The wooden bungalow was set in a valley on a secluded woodsy lane. The wooden bungalow had fallen into disrepair and the owner decided to build a brand new house and landscape the gardens. The new property is hidden amongst towering pines, cypresses and cedars. The client wanted the garden to compliment the new house and have fantastic views of the garden and forest from the house. We opened up the view by taking away some of the large rhododendrons and created a large oval lawn area that had an infinity pool effect at the end of the lawn. The new modern house needed a dramatic terrace and we designed large floating steps onto the lawn, which allowed for a gentle descent as well as a great place for friends and family to sit on. The entrance to the property was difficult as it was on a slope and the client wanted us to keep the original slope of the garden and have views down to the house as well as up to the gate. A stone paddled wall was built to reflect the organic shape of the slope and frame the house within the land. Structural and soft planting was introduced to give seasonal colour and shape. Lighting was introduced as at night the entrance to the property is very dark and well-lit access was important as well as adding subtle lighting of the planting beds.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The wooden bungalow was rremoved and a modern plato-wood clad house was built courtesy of Alma-nac Architects. We kept the old wooden shed as a memory to the original garden...

Comments (47)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.