krgardendesign

A beautiful transformation of a house in the woods

I was asked to be involved in a project in Hampshire to transform the woodland garden of a client's woodland retreat. The wooden bungalow was set in a valley on a secluded woodsy lane. The wooden bungalow had fallen into disrepair and the owner decided to build a brand new house and landscape the gardens. The new property is hidden amongst towering pines, cypresses and cedars. The client wanted the garden to compliment the new house and have fantastic views of the garden and forest from the house. We opened up the view by taking away some of the large rhododendrons and created a large oval lawn area that had an infinity pool effect at the end of the lawn. The new modern house needed a dramatic terrace and we designed large floating steps onto the lawn, which allowed for a gentle descent as well as a great place for friends and family to sit on. The entrance to the property was difficult as it was on a slope and the client wanted us to keep the original slope of the garden and have views down to the house as well as up to the gate. A stone paddled wall was built to reflect the organic shape of the slope and frame the house within the land. Structural and soft planting was introduced to give seasonal colour and shape. Lighting was introduced as at night the entrance to the property is very dark and well-lit access was important as well as adding subtle lighting of the planting beds.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The wooden bungalow was rremoved and a modern plato-wood clad house was built courtesy of Alma-nac Architects. We kept the old wooden shed as a memory to the original garden...

Wow!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Oh So Shutters

Beautiful transformation!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Bath Bespoke
  • 7 years ago
    Absolutely gorgeous!
    We are starting a project this year which has untamed trees and 1.5 acres...the land is scarier than the demolition and new build. This gives some great ideas thank you!
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked acew1234

looks amazing!!!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Contemporary Home Design Ltd

Wow, that is stunning!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked User
  • 6 years ago

Wow, that is an incredible transformation. Looks like a home from a movie!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Clare Ainsworth

Great work !.

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Kluk Construction Ltd

It was such a pleasure to design this garden with a great architect at Alma-nac. The client is a very keen gardener and I had the possibility of choosing plants that were colourful, daring and unusual. They worked well in the setting and we continue to design other sections of the garden this year.

• 6 years ago
    well done!
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Ayenne Pulido
  • 6 years ago
    Fabulous job. You are a very talented designer.
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked TwoHearts

Wonderful

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Kia Designs

Stunning. I expect your client would make this their forever home rather than a weekend retreat now!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    Thank you for your comments. We are just starting on the woodland area which will have a pond and viewing area. I have really enjoyed designing this garden.

Stunning transformation! Well done to all concerned.

patrenson.com

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Pat Renson Interiors
    We continue to have a great team working there. The horticulturists working in the garden are doing a fantastic job to keep it looking beautiful.

Wow what a transformation. The garden sets off the house beautifully. The dramatic terrace and floating steps down to the lawn are such a clever way to deal with the slope and provide a stunning entrance to the house.

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Jacqueline Poll Garden Design
    This is absolutely stunning!
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked New Line Construction Ltd

Wow!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Paul Langston Interiors
    last modified: 6 years ago

This is absolutely beautiful, I love both the amazing garden and the stunning house, they seem to fit together in perfect harmony, a fabulous transformation - well done to all involved. My new dream home !!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Go Modern Furniture

Wow this is STUNNING !! I love the crisp, clean outline of the barn style house, the silvered grey exterior, then the naturalistic, yet thoughtful planting. This conveys a really magical atmosphere, you could hide away for days here........the ideal place to finally write that book...?? :-)

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Bella Whiteley Interiors
  • 6 years ago

Fantastic! The light from that large window on the front of the building must be fab!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked jacksplash
    It is truly a magical place and I deliberately designed the planting to have a mix of naturalistic plants (to compliment the woodland setting) and structural plants to frame the building into the landscape.

Wow, this is incredible! Congratulations to all involved.

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Groves-Raines Architects Ltd.
  • 6 years ago

Beautiful finish. I think the brickwork works so well with the timber cladding.

Do you have any internal pictures?

Michael Creed Architects.

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked creedml
    The house and interiors were featured in the Grand Design magazine August 2017. Unfortunately I don't have any of them to post on Houzz.

Love this!!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Amerex Renovations
  • 6 years ago

Cor!!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked alyper
  • 6 years ago
    Glorious!
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked olivia38
  • 6 years ago

Love it!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Lucía Lara
  • 6 years ago

Amazing !!!

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Mat Piaggi
  • 6 years ago
    beautiful
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked aruna perera

Thank you for your kind word!

Stunning job! Well done

Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Trade Balustrade Ltd
    Thank you and the project is still on going so more pictures of the New woodland will be posted soon.
  • 6 years ago
    some money spent there. fantastic work.
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Sarah Lewis-Furniss
    Nice work
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked marconi
  • 6 years ago
    Stunning!
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Alannah Moore
  • 6 years ago
    Beautiful house and garden
    Karen Rogers at KR Garden Design thanked Carolina
    We will be posting more photos of the woodland area designed and being created at the moment. It includes a small water feature/ rock pool with woodland planting. This is a property with extreme levels and the best part is the water feature was set on the diagonal level change and it was the most natural pond to build!

Would you be interested in adding a hand crafted willow pod to this garden or any future projects you work on? Could be a great addition to the woodland setting.

Send me your website as this pod looks lovely. Karen

Hi Karen did you get my message?

Yes thanks! Looks lovely and will definitely recommend it to clients.

Thanks Karen, I look forward to hearing from them :)

This garden transformation is incredible. Well done

• 6 years ago

Just wow!!