laurahg100

How can I make our bland 1970's exterior more appealing?!

Laura Garner
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

We purchased our first home together almost a year ago, and after working tirelessly, most of the interior has been revamped! But, it's clear we didn't buy our home for its curb appeal! For some reason, the previous owners of our home have decided to render over ALL of the brick (other houses in the street only have render on the upper half of the house). However, the bottom half of the house front is still brick, but has been previously painted a dark red colour that is horrendous and difficult to remove with a jet wash (we managed to remove the cream paint that was painted over it within around 20 seconds, so that shows how badly painted the house was!) So we are now left with a horrible dark red brick around the bottom of the house which looks a mess.

My partner and I are playing with a few ideas. Either render over the brick, so that everything is rendered, and then paint the exterior all the same colour. Paint the bottom bricks a different colour to the rest of the house; or, use some coloured cladding (a very neutral colour, maybe light sage, or blue etc.) to cover the bottom half and paint the rest.

I love the thought of painting our house a slightly different colour, as i'm not a fan of magnolia, however all of the other houses on the row are this colour, so i'm worried ours may look a little odd if we do!

I really admire Victorian houses, however I know that ours does not lend itself to using the same decor as those kinds of homes!

I would MASSIVELY appreciate any ideas you could give, as I'm running low! I have attached a couple of pictures, one from when we purchased the house (where the brick is cream) and one from streetmaps from when it was the horrible red!)

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.