mishaal_lakhani

Gave the kitchen in our rented apartment a (cheap) makeover

Mishaal Lakhani
7 years ago

Bit of an unfortunate beginning: my husband and I were in rather a hurry to book a new apartment for us to rent and move into, and in the rush, we didn't notice just how absolutely filthy the kitchen in the apartment we found was (it had been kind of dark when we viewed it, and torchlight didn't pick up the dirt). It took us two weeks and copious amounts of elbow grease just to clean the place out (and it's not very large to begin with). Once we were done, we began to notice that the floor was...pale pink, and not beige like we had originally assumed it was. The beige tint was just from the layer of grime that had been covering the floor! Ugh!

Anyway, life is too short to live with ugly, so we decided to invest about 400 dollars into renovating the place. We got a good-quality laminate floor done (couldn't really afford anything else)that sort of sits on a cushion-like pad on top of the floor, so it doesn't harm the floor at all when it has to be taken out. We already had loads of kitchen accessories and decor, so we just went all out and put everything on display (the stuff on the walls is mostly stuck on with loads of industrial-strength double-ended tape, and it's holding up well so far!), and got a customized kitchen island of-sorts from Ikea to give us a bit more counter space and a place to shove our washing machine and dishwasher under. We also got some stick-on spotlights for under the cabinets, and changed the overhead light to one of those long Ikea Hektar spotlights. Took us three weeks in all, but it's now my favourite place in the house!
What do you guys think? Would love to know!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.