charponnaise

Storage for high ceilings

charponnaise
7 years ago

Hello! I'm a newbie here, and a Londoner in the process of buying a flat. Yay! The rooms aren't big but the ceilings are 9.5ft high. Double yay! I have a lot of STUFF. Erk. And I care about it so don't want to chuck it out...

I need beautiful storage in the living room and bedroom, but I'm a first-time-buyer on a budget. I need ceiling high shelving in the living room, at different heights - perhaps something modular - for 12" records, books, dvds and other living room-y stuff. In the bedroom I need a system that will allow me to hang two wardrobes' worth of clothes, with drawers for foldable clothes and racks/shelves for bags and... er.. 70 pairs of shoes?! So not a tall order......

I saw the perfect living room thing in Made's London showroom - steel shelves that come in vertical pieces one or two bays wide.

But it turns out they're not for sale, their shopfitters made them for the showroom. I've contacted the shopfitters but heard nothing back. I keep seeing similar setups in furniture places around town (Habitat, Lombok etc) but nothing for sale! Ikea's Vittsjo shelves are the best for-sale option I've seen but not nearly tall enough. I want at least 7ft height - and ideally modular enough that I can omit some of the lower shelves and slot in a drop-leaf dining table.

So question one: does anyone know where I might go to buy or get something like this made, on a budget?

Question two: has anyone any budget suggestions for my bedroom storage dilemma? Ideally I need to fit whatever I do mainly around two walls, 190cm each - beyond that, I can't open the door or get to the bed. I'm looking at Ikea but not sure if I'll get as much hanging space as I need. I'm also looking at whether I could do something clever and DIY with pipes etc, but not sure [a] how I incorporate drawers into that, [b] how I turn pipes into fittings (e.g. how I fix them to the walls and ceiling/floor) and [c] how I ensure it's safe and load-bearing.

All advice welcome......... thank you!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.