lallywalford

Before & After - East Lothian Family Living Room

The brief was to create a cosy and comfortable family sitting room in a room which is situated close to the kitchen but that, up until that point, had been rather redundant. They wanted the whole family (a couple with three children) to be able to sit comfortably in there together and for it to be appealing, cosy and practical in decor.

The lighting was very poor with an ugly overhead pendant and a couple of wall lights. We removed the pendant, putting decorative wall lights on either side of the TV, shelf mounted lights on the shelving units and floor sockets under the sofa so lamps could sit on tables at either end of it wired into a 5 amp circuit that switched at the door. I also added a couple of picture lights.

BEFORE:

Cosy Country Family Living Room, East Lothian · More Info

Cosy Country Family Living Room, East Lothian · More Info

AFTER:

Cosy Country Family Living Room · More Info

Cosy country family living room · More Info

Cosy country family living room · More Info

A large TV was important to them and the only place to put it was above the fireplace. The existing surround was too high so the fireplace was replaced with a slightly lower and more simple limestone design.

A large bespoke shelving unit was designed and built for the wall opposite the fireplace. This was painted so the interior was the colour of the walls and the exterior the colour of the rest of the woodwork in the room which looks very effective. There had been a radiator on this wall but this was removed and two low cast iron radiators were placed within the window reveal.

They are all delighted with the new room and use it every day.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.