m_maya_m

Open plan, wide kitchen - advice needed - a few proposed solutions

m_maya_m
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all,

I'm starting my renovation project and having issues with kitchen design. It's an open living room that flows into the kitchen, giving the whole space L shape. It's got ample light in the south facing living room and a window facing north in the kitchen itself. The ceilings are currently almost 3 metres (10ft high), but will most likely be higher after the project is done.

The actual width of the kitchen is causing problems with the design, as i deem the space between two walls (after the standard elements installed on both sides - 60cm or 236inches), too wide. It adds to 2meters (6,6 ft meaning i'd need to walk that distance from washing to cooking my food. It's currently designed as U-shape, with a bench as a continuation of the kitchen with an extendable mobile table that can be switched/positioned so that the bench is used as seating + additional chairs.

Slightly tilted view for better volume perception:

In general, I'd like to keep the higher elements towards the north end of the kitchen and away from the living room, to have a good flow. I also don't need it to be very large, as i do cook, but not daily.

Do you think that an island would work, given the fact that the other wall would be used for some shallow shelving? (see proposal below)

Alternatively, I really like the idea of doing the dishes at the window, and maybe flipping the L-shape around, leaving the east wall to be left free for dining table.

I'm attaching some sketches and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you in advance!

Maya

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.