m_maya_m

Open plan, wide kitchen - advice needed - a few proposed solutions

m_maya_m
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all,

I'm starting my renovation project and having issues with kitchen design. It's an open living room that flows into the kitchen, giving the whole space L shape. It's got ample light in the south facing living room and a window facing north in the kitchen itself. The ceilings are currently almost 3 metres (10ft high), but will most likely be higher after the project is done.

The actual width of the kitchen is causing problems with the design, as i deem the space between two walls (after the standard elements installed on both sides - 60cm or 236inches), too wide. It adds to 2meters (6,6 ft meaning i'd need to walk that distance from washing to cooking my food. It's currently designed as U-shape, with a bench as a continuation of the kitchen with an extendable mobile table that can be switched/positioned so that the bench is used as seating + additional chairs.

Slightly tilted view for better volume perception:

In general, I'd like to keep the higher elements towards the north end of the kitchen and away from the living room, to have a good flow. I also don't need it to be very large, as i do cook, but not daily.

Do you think that an island would work, given the fact that the other wall would be used for some shallow shelving? (see proposal below)

Alternatively, I really like the idea of doing the dishes at the window, and maybe flipping the L-shape around, leaving the east wall to be left free for dining table.

I'm attaching some sketches and would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you in advance!

Maya