tdharvey86

Which Kitchen Floor Material?

Charlie Spaniel
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Really struggling to make up my mind regarding the floor material to choose for the kitchen floor. Stone, man-made tiles, laminate, luxury vinyl type products or even wood - they all seem to have their good and bad points. The property is an old victorian coachhouse made of stone - we'd like to keep things traditional in style, but with a contemporary edge. We have a lively dog and like to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. Something below £45/sqm would be preferred.

It's a relatively large space at 25 sqm, is reasonably open-plan with an adjoining living room (currently with a teak floor), and an adjoining conservatory which we are going to better incorporate in the the kitchen using bi-fold doors - it is our intention to replace the conservatory floor with one to match the kitchen for a more seamless finish.

In an ideal world it'd be the same floor material in all three rooms, but I'm not sure I could afford teak floors throughout, nor may it be appropriate for the kitchen and conservatory, so something that merely complements the teak will have to do.

STONE. We like the idea of limestone, but it's quite a dark room and concerned such a large, darkish grey floor will do nothing to help. As an alternative, we've looked at tumbled, matt marble but I've heard it can scratch quite easily. Stone is of course cold, and I'm not sure I'm prepared to add (or pay the running costs) of so much underfloor heating.

TILES. Similar issue to above re cold, and I'm less of a fan of the aesthetics of unnatural materials. Cheaper, though.

WOOD. I'm a big fan of the look of wooden floors but understand that they are not recommended for kitchen floors. Is this always the case or can they be sealed and treated to be hard wearing? I REALLY like parquet floors, and I've heard they can withstand the moisture shifts in kitchens better than other types, so could this be an option?

ENGINEERED WOOD. Similar to above but hear it's more suitable for kitchens. Just concerned it might not be hardwearing enough before the ply layers beneath show through.

LAMINATE. I've seen some pretty convincing laminates but concerned it might scratch and damage too easily. Also worried about it looking a bit fake.

VINYL. As above.

I'm very tempted by wood but worried it's going to get damaged and be a pain to maintain. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Below are some pictures of the spaces (prior to gutting it!) - as well as the sort of style of kitchen we hope to put in.

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.