emmelinewe

Win a hands-on cooking experience with Miele

Emmeline Westin
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Last year we invited Houzz users to Miele's Experience Centre in Abingdon where they were able to connect with top kitchen experts and get involved with hands-on cooking demonstrations. It was a huge success, and you can see some images from the event [here[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/win-a-hands-on-cooking-experience-with-miele-dsvw-vd~4054559?n=156).

We're pleased to announce that we're giving 30 Houzzers, who are actively planning a kitchen renovation, an opportunity to experience the shiny Miele headquarters in Abingdon again.

To enter the competition, simply tell us what you would like to change about your kitchen.

The day includes:

• A full day at Miele's Abingdon Experience Centre with a guest on 13th, 14th, or 15th June, from 10am-3.30pm
  • A cooking demonstration by Masterchef: the Professionals finalist Sven-Hanson Britt
  • A hands-on cooking experience
  • An one to one design consultation with a kitchen expert on Houzz, who will help with your kitchen project
  • A delicious lunch

Simply post a comment below telling us what you would like to change about your kitchen, and what day you would like to attend, and you'll be entered into a random prize draw. 30 winners will be selected. The competition begins at 7am on 5 May, 2017 and closes at 5pm on 12 May, 2017.

The competition has been extended to 5pm on 17th May, 2017.

Sven-Hanson Britt's Kitchen - Integrated Oven · More Info

By registering your vote and adding a comment, you're agreeing to our competition terms and conditions. Only UK entries this time!

Pssst. If you are looking to invest in a new appliance, Miele has put together key questions to ask before buying any kitchen appliance. Handy!

Comments (66)

• kathrynmuscroft
    6 years ago

I would love to use the space better my moving the island to one side to create a proper dining area and converting the cupboards to drawers.

• Justin Eames
    6 years ago
    We are designing our new kitchen around all the things we had wrong in previous houses. Making sure we have an area to prepare food, cook and dish up for the family is top of our list!
  • Related Discussions

Do you have a fire pit in your garden?

Q

Comments (81)
    I helped my Dad build a fire pit in his garden, he made wooden seats to sit around the metal fire pit with old stone columns for extra seating (unfortunately you can't see the actual fire-pit as behind the stone bench). Lots of stories and fun are had around it until deep into the night. If you have the space it is a great addition to put in! Shannon
    ...See More

POLL: Have cookbooks gone out of fashion?

Q

Comments (23)
    I buy one or two cookbooks every year for inspiration (last one was Jamie's Everyday Super Food), but only keep hold of a few old favourites or speciality books, so my cookbook shelf is quite modest. Over the past 5 years I've gone digital and all my favourite recipes, whether they came from cookbooks or magazine clippings originally, are hunted down online to copy into Evernote. Handily, several of the big-name cooks publish their popular recipes on their own websites. This way I've got a bespoke cookbook of my favourite recipes, annotated with my own tweaks, which can be used on a smartphone for ingredient shopping, or an an iPad while cooking. I do find it really satisfying flipping through a new cookbook and tagging the pages of recipes I want to try, so I'll keep buying the cookbooks as well as using online resources.
    ...See More

Comment to win a Miele appliance worth £1,000!

Q

Comments (2419)
    I haven't yet owned a Miele appliance, although I have used other people's and know that they are top quality. So I would love my first dishwasher to be a Miele and maybe this would convince my partner that having a dishwasher is an improvement on washing dishes by hand.
    ...See More

BORA induction hob with down draft

Q

Comments (258)
    Latest advice appreciated on the best big induction downdraught hobs please (Berbel, Bora, Gaggenau, Siemens, Bosch or others). We want best steam and fat clearance rates, quietest motors, easy-clean (unsure re self-clean, ducted or recirulated air). Berbel's FaceBook page features lots of customer complaints regarding after-sales service and spare parts, but some seem due to Covid delays which we think is unavoidable; another mentions guests sitting "in a haze" from the recirculated air and obviously nobody wants that! We need to order very soon but definitely don't want ceiling extraction. Many thanks for prompt replies!
    ...See More
  • Jane Carpenter
    6 years ago
    I'm knocking down my house and rebuilding. In so doing I will be creating a new galley kitchen with separate pantry. It's a real bank canvass and I would appreciate some help getting the most out if this opportunity. New Miele appliances would be the icing on the cake. I could attend any of the day sessions - 13th, 14th or 15th.
    Jane
  • Manuel Blanco
    6 years ago
    Planning a kitchen extension and full renovation, aiming to create a modern and practical environment in harmony with a Cotswold stone character house.
  • Chris
    6 years ago

I'd like help to design a rustic industrial themed kitchen for a stable conversion holiday let accommodation in a rural location. I want the use local Kent culture and history as an influence for the interior design - e.g. 'garden of England' & farming (hops, apple orchards, cherry trees, cobnut trees, Romney Marsh sheep), Oldest brewery in England (Shepherd Neame) and English wine producers nearby. Industrial coal mining (now closed) and windmills. The kitchen area is gallery 'L' shape & opens into a vaulted seating area with oak and glass gable end. As holiday accommodation, the kitchen needs to be easy to use and attractive, but have as many appliances & gadgets as I can fit in! No-one wants to wash dishes on holiday! Miele would be perfect in this kitchen because as 4-star+ holiday accommodation, the kitchen needs to ooze 'quality' and be reliable and low maintenance. I could attend any of the dates given.

• mkjk52
    6 years ago

We've moved into a house with a kitchen designed for the previous non cook. Nothing is where it should be!

• Nicola Hammond
    6 years ago
    Our kitchen is a relic from the 70's and needs a complete update. But I also need to include breaking through to the dining room (built 1800) so modern functional and sympathetic to the old cottage part.
  • dragonsfree
    6 years ago

Would love to put in better storage,drawers instead of cupboards, as well as a new oven! The 13th of June would be great for me!

• Fiona Green
    6 years ago

Have bought a wreck ... slowly getting ready to put it back together. Need help with all the appliances. What, where and how all up for grabs.

• jamesanddeirdre
    6 years ago

The oil fired boiler is an ugly white box (about the size of a dishwasher) and sits in the middle of a run of units, it needs to be accessed from the top for annual servicing and is too large to be boxed in. I can't bear to invest in new units and worktops and still have to look at it; the worktop would also need to be removable. I would really appreciate the advice of a kitchen design expert.

• Gill McLean
    6 years ago

We've recently moved into a listed Georgian property with a very tired 1970s kitchen. As part of the renovation of our new home, we're planning to replace the old kitchen with a new combined cooking, eating and living area. The design will be challenging - there are windows and doors everywhere - but it's a beautiful space and deserves consideration and care. I'd love help from experts - and a cooking demonstration using Miele equipment would be a fabulous bonus! I'd make any of the three days work.

• Daniela Provvedi
    6 years ago

I really needed a new dish washer to assist me with the washing up. Although Miele are a little expensive, I wouldn't consider anything else. I've got a handyman at the moment installing a new kitchen to accommodate my new Miele dish washer. I'm also getting new lights and new cupboards. I'm so excited - what am I going to do with all that extra time not doing the washing up by hand?

I would love you to consider me attending the Miele course on Thursday 15th June.

Thank you!

• Joy Spiers
    6 years ago

Having needed to cope with a walk-though cupboard for over 30 years plus a growing family, I gathered the impetus to knock down the whole ghastly lot and rebuild on a larger footprint. Now I have a blank canvas to design on and fulfill all those ideals of what a workable kitchen could be. I want to include an island to house an induction hob plus a downdraft extractor. What a wonderful development they appear to be, but I'd really like to talk to someone who has used one as they do seem to contravene the laws of physics. I know just what my late husband, an engineer, would say! Expert pearls of wisdom on the overall design would be so appreciated, so a trip to Miele to road test appliances seems an ideal opportunity for that. I can visit Miele each and every day offered if possible please.

• prettygrey
    6 years ago
    We need to redo our entire kitchen and would love some help. We live in a Georgian townhouse with the kitchen in the basement - we need to bring it to life with a look that is modern but sympathetic to the age of the house
  • Rocky May
    6 years ago
    We are involved in a total renovation project of a 1930 Arts and Crafts house. It's very exciting and we are very conscious of making the right choices for our new home. We would welcome assistance in planning the kitchen and selecting appliances that will enhance our new way of living.
  • Rocky May
    6 years ago
    The 13 th of June is best for us.
  • Linda Cripps
    6 years ago

I am in the process of having my kitchen doubled in size and am looking forward to having lots more space and new appliances to complete the transformation.

The 14th June is best for me .

• jesspayne1983
    6 years ago
    I've just bought my first flat, it's all extremely exciting, I'm on a serious budget but my first plan is to pull down the wall between the kitchen and lounge and replace the kitchen, I've been glued to houzz over the last couple of months trying to soak up all of your tips and tricks - I probably need all the help I can get! 15th June is best - fingers crossed!
  • vv0123
    6 years ago

We are going to do a full refurbishment of our dated kitchen. Ideally, I would change the layout, the current one is not ergonomic at all. 14th June is best but any other date would do too.

• Eva
    6 years ago
    We are trying to design our new kitchen and we really would like a professional advice as we are overwhelmed with all the ideas published on Houzz. We plan to extend our house according to the kitchen/dining room design.
    Tue, 13th June would be the best but the other 2 days would be fine as well. Thank you, Eva
  • Al H
    6 years ago
    Just moved into a house where a DIY bodger lived. What wouldn't I change! Rewiring is first on the list...
    Work surfaces are chipped composit and too high on one run and too low on another. Cabinets are de-laminated and far to many of them to replace with my current budget (I have taken out 6 floor and 6 wall to make way for a table and still have 18 double 18 double wall).
    Lay out does not work as there is no room for a bin or recycling so at present these are in the hall.
    Thank goodness I love the light and have (now) plenty of room for my perfect table!
  • J Brown
    6 years ago

Change absolutely EVERYTHING!

• Chris Wilks
    6 years ago
    I'd like to change most things. We've moved in to a house with a 30yr old kitchen and it's amazing how much a kitchen has moved on in that space of time. The lack of plug sockets alone is amazing.
  • Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great to see so much engagement - I can promise you that you're in for a very fun day if your name is picked! The competition closes tomorrow, so get your entries in before then :)

• Ginette Trenchfield
    6 years ago
    We are planning a new kitchen in a wide but shallow extension to a Victorian cottage. I am struggling to visualise a space that will cater for my love of cooking as well as my hopefully growing family. Whatever happens I just don't want to have to store my mixer in the wardrobe anymore!
  • PRO
    ndb arc
    6 years ago
    We have an open plan kitchen. It would be good if it tidies itself (Self cleaning ovens are there, why not the rest?) Have to design at least 4 kitchens shortly. New ideas and technology is always good
  • Eileen Odonoghue
    6 years ago

Moving to a lovely old farmhouse that needs much T.L.C? And would to love your inspiration for a grand kitchen/diner. Any day would suit. Here's hoping!

• Kitty & B
    6 years ago

I just moved house with my son and we have a compact kitchen that I'd love to make more functional in terms of storage and also toddler proof - without losing the style! Please tell me it's possible!

• janel93
    6 years ago
    We have a new build which has an uninspiring dine in kitchen with a budget worktop. We bought when it was near to completion so we didn't get to customise it as we would have ordinarily done. However the design has a lot of inefficiencies and its missing an island and some space to make it suitable for entertaining whilst we're cooking.

I've been getting inspiration from Houzz for how we might be able to add in an island and a breakfast nook.
  • Savvy P
    6 years ago
    I would like some clever storage units in my cupboard and replace our single oven with a double eye-height oven :)
  • Gemma B
    6 years ago
    Everything! I have been living in a Victorian terrace renovation project for the past 3yrs... literally everything needs attention!

We both love to cook, but currently working with in a tiny miss-matched 1970 kitchen with no oven!

What I would give for a working oven and modern day appliances, it seems like a distance dream right now!
  • errai
    6 years ago

We want to cover up a swimming pool in the kitchen floor (yes, an actual tiled swimming pool... long story) and fully renovate the space into a proper kitchen with dining and lounge areas.

• chillijamx
    6 years ago

we are about to change about our kitchen from its current location into the living room so that it opens up onto the garden into an open plan living dining cooking area. So we will be changing all appliances and cupboards, this is exciting but dauting to get it right and not make expensive mistakes. our youngest has just qualified as a chef and has moved back home! this means the kitchen appliances and worksurfaces need also to work for an experiementing new chef!

We have lived in our current house for 5 years and not done anything whilst we decided what would be the right improvements to make it work for us. Iam so excited and pouring over kitchen appliances and designs eeek! We saw Miele appliances at Grand designs show was impressed, and I would love a steam combination oven and a warming drawer but which ones and what else???

what day you would like to attend

14th June,

• 28colytonroad
    6 years ago

We have taken the back off the house and have built a large open area with extensive glass walls, we are planning a kitchen for part of the area and are looking for extraction, steam oven, grill/microwave etc. Also we will need a new vacuum cleaner. Any ideas?

Love to attend 15th June

Simon

• Holly Cooke
    6 years ago

I've recently bought my first flat which is great but had to do a lot of work on it and the kitchen was usable so we used our money on the rest of it (except the floor!)

I would love to be able to have a new kitchen which enhances the light more and gives me space to work in. Am a keen baker.

I would love to attend the 15th June

• Sarah Bp
    6 years ago
    Hi

I recently visited Grand Designs Live and one of the kitchen experts mentioned this opportunity so it is quite the coincidence that I have stumbled across it!

We have a small, narrow and dark, galley kitchen that we inherited when we moved house. It is completely impractical with three children under 5 as they come careering through and either trip over the open dishwasher door or nearly take me out when I am holding baking hot trays from the oven!

Our builders start knocking down walls this week so it is time to start thinking about what I want to do with the kitchen which needs to be installed in Sept. I would love to try out a steam oven particularly as these were on display at the show and have intrigued me!

Either 13th or 15th June would be fantastic please
  • Ian Annand
    6 years ago

15 June - would love a kitchen with more work surfaces and a pantry to hide things and lock away so kids cant get to them.

• Sujal Shah
    6 years ago
    As a keen cook and baker, I am very excited to be planning a kitchen renovation and extension to create a showstopper family cooking, dining and entertaining area. 13/14 June are best for me.
  • Julie Singleton
    6 years ago
    I currently saving like mad to change the 60s time capsule to a modern industrial style kitchen with more cupboard and worktop space and room for my cooking gadgets! I can be free on any of the days and would love the opportunity to see how I can improve my home. I've attached pictures of what I'm "dealing" with now!
  • Sean Trent
    6 years ago

Rest of house is done and now we have a decent budget at last for kitchen. Knocking through kitchen/dining room. Need plenty of storage for all my kitchen gadgets! Would welcome the inspiration of a day with Miele team. 13th JUNE good for me. Thanks :)

• lgentle2002
    6 years ago
    Our kitchen is relocating and I'd love someone to suggest a desgin. It's too easy to follow the herd and put things where the 'ought' to go. I'd like to explore an alternative! Thanks
  • fzfarru17
    6 years ago
    I have an old 70's style galley kitchen n utility, updating by changing, wall n floor tiles n keeping cupboards and ancient non Meile appliances - could really do with help with kitchen design as I need lots of storage space and having new appliances would be a dream as my dishwasher is on its last legs and no space currently for a fridge- this project has been going on since last Summer with builders letting us down we are still waiting for new builders to start -if I were to win a place to come to your appliance day it would be fab and if you need a kitchen to create your magic in , it would be a dream come true .
    I will be fasting throughout June as it will be Ramadan but I wanted to enter even though I wouldn't be able to eat anything because the experience is too good an opportunity for me to miss so any day would be ok as I am desperate to get help especially as my budget is so limited .
    Thank you for considering me . I believe in serendipity and feel fortunate to have come across this just in time as today is 16th!
    Have I said enough to get me a place I wonder ? Lol!
  • miss j
    6 years ago
    I love to get all white kitchen and white appliances for my new kitchen
  • Wendy Wells
    6 years ago

we are in the middle of building a new extension for a kitchen/utility and I need help to plan and get the 'wow' factor. is it where to put the appliances? the colour? the lighting?

• Sarah Bp
    6 years ago
    When our winners confirmed?
  • Emmeline Westin
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Sarah, we'll be in touch with the winners shortly! I'll also make an announcement here.

• PRO
    Miele GB
    6 years ago

Thank you to everyone for entering our compeition!

We have now contacted all of the winners, via email, over the past week so please be sure to check your emails and confirm your space in advance of next week.

We look forward to welcoming the lucky winners next Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Have a lovely day!

• cjc77
    6 years ago
    We have a good size kitchen/dining room with a conservatory off to the side. We are planning on making the conservatory into a permanent part of house and knocking through the kitchen to give an L shape open plan living / dining / cooking area, BUT I don't quite understand how the new kitchen will work with how I would like the whole feel and look to be, especially since the gas and water outlets are in a particular place. I adore cooking and want the whole kitchen space to be used to maximum efficiency
  • Zoey Hanford
    6 years ago

I can't decide which Miele appliances to buy. Do I buy a steam combination microwave or a steam combination oven. I can't fins a Miele concealed ( behind a door) washing machine. I know I want a warming drawer but Miele make so many just as I think I have chosen my appliances I find different models. I need help!

• PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory
    6 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! Then do you need solid surface tub for your bathroom?

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.