6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

So, we’ve had some preliminary
sketches back from our plan drawer for the extension we are planning. Although
each suggestion has its merits there isn’t one plan overall which I think is
the one. Would love your thoughts…

The plan is to retain
the lounge, wc and hall (although at some point this will be extended forward slightly
and the stairs flipped so you go up them where it’s shown as sliced on the
original plan). The remaining space
and new extension we’re hoping for a utility, side entrance/boot room, kitchen/diner/casual
living space (to include TV and log burner) plus snug or music room.

Here are the plans with my comments

Option 1

Concerns: Much of the kitchen worktop is not in a usable space. From upstairs utility can only be accessed through kitchen. Sofa layout blocks view out into garden. Where would tv and log burner go?

Option 2

Like: the configuration of the sofas as maximises view into the garden and the kitchen island.

Do not like: dining room is separate and main part of kitchen is in darkest part of the house. (would be roof lantern, not velux).

This plan also leaves 3 meters of essentially 'dead' space to the right of the house.

Option 3

Our thoughts are to reduce utility by 30cm (or more) and drop
kitchen down to create more work space in the kitchen by the door from the boot room. Create a new door into
the utility so don’t have to take washing through the kitchen. Reduce sizes of
window so they become long and thin and create a wall space, possibly for a wall mounted
TV.

Problem is I can’t visualize the room and am concerned whether there is enough workable worktop as i like to cook.

Also, do you think we need a door from bootroom into the kitchen?
The side entrance is really only for our use when returning from muddy walks

We really want to get this right and make sure we’re making best use of the space we have and are creating. Thanks for any advice you care to throw our way.

Kathryn

Original floor Plan

Comments (31)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.