buzzmummy

Wood burning stove flue help

buzzmummy
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello all looking for some help and expertise about wood burners please. :)

We are about to do an extension to the rear of our house which will be 8m out from the back wall (filling in a u shape so it is actually protruding about 5.5m from the existing wall) and 5.5m wide. This will be our lounge room and we are having an orangery style with 4.5m bifold doors one side and a lantern roof. We are thinking we want some sort of fire in here both for heat and for a focal point. We have no gas so it has boiled down to a choice between an electric living flame style fire and installing a woodburner. I've attached a couple of houzz pics of the kind of styles we like, we kind of have a mix of transitional and country styles.

Stunning Residential Makeover · More Info

Muswell Hill House · More Info

Russian River Studio · More Info

We are kind of leaning towards a woodburner as we do like real wood fires and have really missed our open fire since we moved.

The question is (and here I am less than clued up about regulations etc;) is what are the options we would have for a flue for a wood burner? We don't really want the view of our lantern roof partly obscured or ruined by a huge flue poking up above the glass. I presume it would depend on placement of the stove? The first idea was to put the stove at the far end of the room between two windows (like third pic above) possibly with a shallow fake wall / chimney built to accommodate it. Or possibly we have it on the existing RH wall next to the bifold doors but I am concerned this might look a bit skew / odd as it wouldn't be central.

Attached mock up picture showing proposed layout of the room.

So... after all that.... what are your thoughts? what are our options? Very much appreciate any help from all you experts out there!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.