whirlligig

Anyone installed their own stair runner?

Lauren
I'm nearing the end stages of decorating our hallway after 2 years of it looking awful!

I'd like to get a stair runner to reduce the noise factor as well as to add traction to the slippery wooden steps. It seems quite expensive to get a dedicated stair runner made and installed and I've seen blogs where people have done it themselves (though mostly US blogs).

I would probably be quite confident in this except my stairs turn 90 degrees over 3 angled steps at the top and I'm not sure how to install a runner successfully here.

Anyone else done it themselves? Any advice on underlay/material/methods? Should I just pay someone to do it? (Running out of money due to my wedding coming up so would like to save where I can!)

I've included an unfinished pic of the stairs and the now mostly finished hall. Will probably go for a natural/beige herringbone flatweave runner so as not to complete with the parquet floors and kilim runner in the hall.

Any advice gratefully received!