raldesign

Before & After: Tired Oxfordshire Garden is Transformed

Rory Andrews Landscape Design
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

The brief from the client was to transform this garden in Goring-on-Thames into a contemporary space that can be enjoyed in all seasons. A south-facing garden room was a must, and serves as both office and a retreat.

BEFORE:

Goring-on-Thames - Before · More Info

Goring-on-Thames - during · More Info

Goring-on-Thames - Perspective Sketch · More Info

A main terrace for entertaining was added, as well as a small terrace for the office. A bench area was included opposite the office as a focal point and an extra place to relax and enjoy a different viewpoint.

AFTER:

Goring-on-Thames - After planting April 2017 · More Info

The clients wished for a circular lawn, which unfortunately did not fit the dimensions and propositions of the garden, hence the oval lawn – however we think it actually turned out very well!

In contrast to the fad for ‘low-maintenance’, the clients are plants-people and were happy to maintain the garden themselves, so they requested large borders to satisfy their love for plants. The clients also wished to have a predominantly white and blue colour palette for planting.

Some small trees (with blossom and autumn colour), hedging and shrubs were included to add height and structure to the scheme.

Climbing plants on the fencing soften the boundaries without the need for hedging, which would have taken space from the relatively small plot, and a gravel path was requested for access around the garden in all weather/seasons.

Check back in two months to see how the plants have grown! You may be very surprised at the transformation...

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.