tammy_canavan_soldaat

How can I bring this living room to life?

Tammy
6 years ago

I'm renting a house in France for 1 year+, it is the owners' summer home and came completely furnished. The furniture is a bit dated (old wooden sofa, etc) but comfortable and functional. It's all a bit beige for me. As we are saving to buy a house, and aren't sure WHERE we will eventually buy, I would rather work with this furniture and not buy things like sofa sets now as I don't know what my future living room will be like.

So, I'd rather not take anything away, as such, but what can I ADD to it to bring it a little more up to date? I've tried covering the sofa, but then it looks desperate. There's no hiding the fact that it's an old printed sofa. So I'd rather work with it, maybe with pillows or a plain rug or something. I'm happy to replace curtains, rugs, or other decorative stuff, but just would rather not go for big ticket items as we may only end up here 1-2 years. I also can't do anything like paint the wood, as this stuff isn't mine.

I think there is too much print, between the curtains, sofa and rug, and it's all too beige, but I just am at a complete loss as to what colours to use or how I can make this a little more modern. Help!

One more question. Why do short curtains bother me so much? I think it's because the radiators are under the window, so it makes sense... wouldn't make sense to replace them with longer, would it?

The owners are lovely, just... we have different tastes.

Lots of wood with the fire surround, furniture, window and door frames etc.

A lot of beige and a lot of print.

Sofa print

Curtain print

Rug print (and my lovely boot, fell down some stairs and injured my ankle)

Thanks for any inspiration / tips!

Comments (40)

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    For me it's the old fashioned sofa, rug and coffee table that stand out. Could you add a jazzy rug and feature coffee table to start off?
    Tammy thanked Daisy England
  • Related Discussions

Lighting up and bringing to life and old chapel conversion

Q

Comments (3)
    What an amazing property!! Whichever type of lights you do decide on you can give it a lot of dimension by adding some very basic smart lighting control. We suggest a few low cost and almost invisible multi-function sensors that monitor light level, motion, temperature and even weather, the lighting can dim gently up or down, on or off to give this beautiful building a living breathing mood adapting constantly to it's surroundings. I'd love to see it! Let me know if you'd like to discuss it.
    ...See More

How to bring this plain room to life??

Q

Comments (17)
    Hello. Measure the room. Think furniture layout. Buy new sofa - not black( more functional and to room scale).First of all I would get rid of both sofas. They are not suitable for this type of space. Neither colour nor material. They are huge and taking space and looking cold. Window treatments should be mounted a high as possible and wall to wall, ceiling to floor length ( makes huge difference) add some accent colour ( accessories- cushions, throw, wall art). do not forget greenery and once again WALL ART. TV in front of the window is a big "NO". Looking at the picture I do not see any focal point apart of this black TV and black huge sofas. My suggestion: Light up the space and add some accent colour in accessories ( you can change the colour easily when it gets boring for you. Get some plant in and change the light fixtures. Apart of sofa cost, spend around 200-300 and will make you love this room.
    ...See More

Rug and Coffee Table Help

Q

Comments (28)
    The dining chairs are really strangely shaped, that's why there is nothing on them at the moment. They are really wide at the front and narrower at the back of the seat. So any square or regular shaped dining table cushion fits really strangely. I would -like- a beige rug, but I know myself and our lifestyle here enough to know better. The bottom of the house is open all summer with us and the dog going in and out. I'd be setting myself up for frustration trying to keep it clean. I would consider jute, my husband doesn't like the idea of it but I don't mind it. Is it really rough on bare feet? I just measured and I think the widest I could go for a coffee table would be about 1 meter wide.
    ...See More

How can I place furniture in this living room?

Q

Comments (4)
    Congratulations on your new home. Is this the estate agent photo or is this your furniture? It would be useful to know that to see what you are working with or whether you're purchasing new furniture. Also, how many people do you need seating for and do you intend to have a TV in the too? It would also be useful to see a photo of the other end of the room and get an idea of what kind of colours and styles you like. Are you want to stay traditional or would you like to give the space a more contemporary look?
    ...See More
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think changing the rug is key, as well as adding some plain elements. I'm not sure about replacing the coffee table, I don't mind it so much. I love what you've put together, Carolina! The nearest Ikea is about 2.5 hours from here but I'm sure I can find something similar in other shops. This is a great start!

The sisal / jute rug... how are they for keeping clean? I have one small dog and she's not terribly sheddy but is it a fabric that grabs everything?

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    Vacuuming would be enough, but if you spill something, this list might be useful https://www.sisalcarpet.com/viewcategory.php?tag=cleaning-tips
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Are they softer than they look? I imagine it feeling a bit like walking on twine in your bare feet. Trying to remember if I've ever walked on one, but I'm not sure!

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    Jute ones are softer than sisal, but they aren't plush soft.
  • ctw6261
    6 years ago
    Just live with it .The short time you will be there will soon pass .Absorb the culture of a different country
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We will be here for a minimum of 1 year but probably longer. It has nothing to do with culture, just personal taste. I lived in the Netherlands for 17 years before living here and didn't wear clogs, it's ok to not like something and want to make a place feel more like home to you, I think. I don't hate it, just wanted to add a bit of colour and freshness to it. :)

• Sonia
    6 years ago
    I love the curtains. I've got short curtains in my bedroom. I know what you mean but, yes, there is a radiator below the window so long curtains just wouldn't do. I'd prefer to stay warm in winter than worry decor with bright cheerful cushions. How about a burnt orange colour to match the curtains? Maybe a simple rug in burnt orange too. I had a jute rug but found it very hard on bare feet. It also used to shed dust. I used to hoover it but it still shed. Good luck with your project.
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    Sorry lost some of the text above! I meant to suggest you can add colour to a beige scheme by adding colourful cushions in, say, burnt orange which will tie in with the curtains.
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So, I've removed the rug and it's better without the two prints fighting each other. I do like the curtains so I will probably leave them. My husband weighed in and he doesn't like jute rugs and says he prefers something softer / warmer.

What are some colours of rugs that would warm things up and go with this set? Would dark grey work or would that be too heavy? I'd go lighter, like a light beige but I worry as we're the ones that would drop wine on it the 2nd night we have it haha (Not that we're drunkards or anything, but this IS France! :P )

Thank so much for your help and tips, so glad I found this place. It's a big house (180m2) and I'll have a lot of questions about decorating as I'm completely useless.

• jenniimatthews
    6 years ago
    I think if you could be staying there for 2 years you need to buy a sofa that is more your style....A trip to IKEA would be a good idea, you can buy comfy reasonably prices sofas plus all those little thing that can make it feel like home...Good Luck on your new venture....
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I thought about it but then when we buy something, or move somewhere else, we don't know if whatever sofa we buy will suit the room there. Also, then we'd have to store this set somewhere, which would be a hassle. I'd rather try to work with it. They are extremely comfortable, just not super attractive as it stands now. I'm hoping with a few accessories I can make them look prettier or like they work better. :)

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi. I liked Carolina's idea but if sisal is out I'd pick up the muted red for a rug. First pic is similar to your room to show how it could look. I would also add solid grey cushions and a textured throw. Perhaps look at square grey ones and then add a small burnt orange rectangular cushion just in front of one. I'd store the 2nd coffee table and for the main one add a pile of books and then an old looking terracotta vase/pot for a plant, some lavender could work! I would add the large plant to the left of the tv, there are a lot of these sea grass baskets around which add more texture (the two tone ones are nice). I might also add a floor lamp behind the sofa, anything fairly classic would work. Personally I'd clear the fireplace of all ornaments except the fire tools and move the log basket a bit closer to the burner. I'd also add accessories to the side tables as they looks a bit lost.

Tammy thanked minnie101
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    Okay, so sisal or jute are out. I suggested them because they work with everything and are very reasonably priced for large sizes. But if you shop around you can probably find very good priced, softer rugs. Nylon ones should be inexpensive. Just look for a larger one than the owner's rug. If all else fails, two smaller rugs could also be an option.
    Usually I wholeheartedly agree with Minnie's suggestions, but this time I'd say: look for a medium grey rug.
    And yes to everything else she said :-)
  • Carolina
    6 years ago
    And yes, muted red would work too, but I'm thinking it might be too dominant? I can try and photoshop some examples in the room, later today.
  • S L
    6 years ago

I would add some stronger colour in maybe orange in the form of a throw, some cushions and a rug. You could put the current rug away and put it back when you leave

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Lol, thanks Carolina! I agree it needs to be sufficiently muted if red :) As the chairs are a shade of olive I thought it could work well or just go neutral if you want to take it with you. Personally I'd go with the sisal, as Carolina said they fit well with so many schemes plus modern but also complements the existing scheme

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

So many great suggestions! I may still be able to talk my husband into jute but I think it will require us going to buy in person, rather than online, so it will have to wait until I am able to walk enough to go shopping. I love the look of the red carpet. I assume I should go with something with as minimal print as possible?

I'm not sure I will be able to put a plant on the TV stand as we are buying a TV tomorrow and going with a larger one, but I do know what you mean. The side tables are sort of small and piddly, Not really big enough for much more than a coffee cup and a book maybe. There are a lot of tables in here, I must say.

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm not even sure where to start with the fireplace surround... I've removed their family crest but I don't want to leave the shelves bare, but am not sure what to put on them either. It'd just be clutter. It's a bit of an odd thing.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

So, I mocked up some different ideas for you. See what you think: beige rug, grey rug and because I'm stubborn a jute rug too ;-) I'll post some layered options in a next comment.

• Carolina
    6 years ago

Layered...

Tammy thanked Carolina
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oooh that's great, it makes it so much easier to visualize!

I like the top three better than layered, but which of those three, I have no idea! What do you think?

• Carolina
    6 years ago

See what you can find. Grey or cream will both look good I think. And both colours are neutral, so can very possibly work with whatever sofa you decide to buy when you move on to another home.

• minnie101
    6 years ago

If you go for the muted red rug then yes little or no pattern. I meant for the plant to go on the floor as Carolina has put it. Maybe add a round mirror or one in the shape of the shelves over the fire. Maybe you've got a good flea market near you and you can pick up a cheap vintage one? You can then add a couple of things on the actual mantle to create more of a focal point. I'd try that and then see if you need anything else.

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The prob with the spot above the fire is that it's tilted backwards. It doesn't go straight up. I could put a mirror over it but it would be sort of aimed at the ceiling, if that makes any sense.

• rachelmidlands
    6 years ago
    Hi Tammy, I definitely think a large area rug will have the biggest impact for your room. I'd go for a bolder colour to bring some life into the space. I like the previous suggestions of a burnt orange colour and I also think a deep green will work well with the existing fabrics. I've picked out a couple of rugs with a subtle retro pattern to tie in with the furniture as well. Orange one is from Nourison, Enhance range in paprika. Green one is from Esprit, Palmia range. You could try eBay to source something similar.
  • Sarah
    6 years ago
    If you cover the sofas with large cream throws it'll really neutralise and warm up the space. Then your coloured cushions and new rug will really stand out and stylish pieces. If you could get a larger, lower coffee table which you could put some of your own things on (plant, books, candles) it'll feel more cosy and warm
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi all :) Thanks so much for the advice. After looking at rug / accessory options and thinking about things, we've (against our earlier opinion) decided we are going to get a new sofa. We figure we are spending money to spruce up something just to make us hate it less and after living on them for the past week or two, they aren't really as comfy as we thought. Great for sitting on for a chat but not something you curl up in together, by any means.

So, now I am looking at an Ikea Kivik, either a 2 seater or 3 seater with a chaise attached. I'm a bit unsure of which colour. I like the anthracite but it's very much like our dark blue karlstad we owned previously.

I didn't originally like the look of the Borred Gray Green until I looked it up in some google images for "in use" photos. My husband is against the light beige as we have enough beige in here.

Judging from the photos I've shared (and imagining the old wooden sofas have disappeared) what do you think about the kivik option, in the gray green in particular. Would something darker and with more punch (anthracite or the blue) be better?

Thanks again, sorry for wasting your time with the wooden sofas, but we had to try to make them work... it's just not happening, though, unfortunately!

• Carolina
    6 years ago

I actually think that you're making a good decision here. But I wouldn't choose the chaise option. I'd rather get the matching footstool. It will give you more flexibility, should you move to another house that has a less spacious living room. And I prefer the beige colour, because it's such a lovely natural, light colour that goes with everything.

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We were going for the 3 seater + the chaise, so it'd be wide. Then the footstool as well so when it's just us two we can create 2 chaises for ultimate comfort. We considered a 3 seater + 2 seater but the room is awkwardly shaped / laid out for that. We wanted something large enough for multiple people to sit on if we have visitors. The 3 seater on its own with the footstool would make for smaller width as you'd lose the + chaise seat, know what I mean? Unless we did a 3 seater plus a chair. With the TV in one corner and the wood stove in the other, I can't figure out how to place two sofas without one of them being back / side on to something or blocking it.

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    Have you looked at the Vimmle modular sofa?
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No, I've not actually sat on the Kivik either. Our nearest Ikea is 2 hrs away so we're going to drive over sometime soon to check them out and likely pay some absurd amount to have it delivered. We're looking at Ikea because it seems like most of the local shops that sell sofas all have the same look, like some strange sofa from the lounge of the starship on an old episode of Star Trek. Weird shapes, rounded and bendy bits. What happend to good, comfy sofas? :P Maybe it's just France, I don't know...

• Carolina
    6 years ago
    Haha... could be. I'm in the Netherlands and I know we're pretty spoiled, furniture-wise. When you go to IKEA, make sure you know the dimensions of your room.
  • Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yeah we used the sofa and chairs here to move around and get an idea of what we want sizewise in any direction. We just moved from Rotterdam to the countryside in the Correze in France. I'm used to having an Ikea 5 mins away, as well as the woonboulevard in Barendrecht. There are furniture stores in the nearest city, Limoges, but they all seem to carry the same styles and I don't seem to like any of them.

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hey all! So, we made the 2 hour trek to Ikea to look at their sofas and decided we really liked the kivik in grey green. The colour is nicer than on the website photos. We decided on the 2 seater plus chaise... and I was looking at a rug and wondering if it may go well, or if it'd be too busy with the print in the curtains etc. Maybe something plan is still in order. What do you all think?

• Tammy
    Original Author
    6 years ago

This is the colour in the shop

• Carolina
    6 years ago

See how you can't rely on on screen colours? Sofa looks totally different in your photo than it looks in the photo from the site. I'm not sure about the rug either. It's an amazing price for a good sized rug though. Not sure if that's reason enough to buy it.

I think I'd prefer a safer option.

Maybe...

• Nathalie Martin
    6 years ago

Little bit late to the party, but great choice of sofa! My first reaction to the images, is that the wood is too dark for everything else in the room. It makes it looks a little dated. The first thing I would do here is paint all the wood work brilliant white and then reassess.

• jacksplash
    6 years ago

I think any of Carolinas rugs will look great as they are mostly muted colours,so will blend in, then if you wish you could add pops of colour with cushions etc.

Good luck.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.