Your shopping basket is empty.

Help 70's exterior

12 May, 2017
last modified: 12 May, 2017

Really dislike the upvc cladding under the Windows. Would love to render the whole house but can't afford to at the moment. The one on the ground floor is covering an area where a big window (down to the floor) once was. We believe that it isn't brick behind it so wouldn't be able to just remove it to expose the brick. Does anyone have any other ideas on what we could do?
I wondered about rendering the two panels where the the cladding is in a nice light grey or somthing. I've seen similar on other properties in the area but don't want it to look silly.
Thank you

Comments (6)

  • PRO
    Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

    Have a look on Marley's website, as you say it's not brick behind the cladding, therefore, it will have to be cladding or tiles or one type or another. Marley Facades

    The Cedral Lap weatherboard comes in a miriad of colours and is probably the kind of look that you'll like.

  • PRO
    Bathroom Eleven


    How about changing the white PVC cladding with natural timber cladding and also doing the same with the door surround to tie the two together?


    cc0412 thanked Bathroom Eleven
  • cc0412

    Thank you for your suggestions. I'm not sure why but I feel put off having any type of cladding at all! When we bought the house I never really considered the cladding but now we are in and have installed vertical blinds at the windows it all just feels so stripey.

    A house on the culdesac has sort of covered where the cladding was with stones which looks a bit dated. But others seem to have just rendered the sections below the windows. I didn't know whether this was somthing we could do if there wasn't any brick below. I'm not sure exactly what is behind the cladding or how neatly the edges of where the window once was meets the rest of the wall. It feels sort of hollow when you tap below it but I'm assuming there must be somthing under the cladding before the plasterboard. Although maybe not?

  • Fiona Davenport-White
    You can paint UPVC - maybe paint it grey or even black with a new matching front door?
    cc0412 thanked Fiona Davenport-White
  • PRO
    Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman

    Cladding doesn't have to be just UPVC planks any more. You can have plain cement panels installed, as I said earlier check out Marley's Website to see the innovative methods now used. Or Colour bond what you've got. Your cladding is most likely on Battens with insulation a waterproof membrane etc, so, no it's not a solid wall. That's not to say that you couldn't remove the windows, brick or block up and then put the windows back. However, you would need to take advice from a builder and get the necessary building regs.

    If you go with the Cement panels for instance from Marley or any other company that supplies that type of facade, then you could render the remainder of the building for a more contemporary look.

    cc0412 thanked Man About The House - The DIY & Odd Job Handyman
  • PRO
    Lariko Architects
    There are so many options for alternative cladding but you can also alter the size and shape of your Windows if this is something you wished to do. This could mean floor to ceiling glazing. You would have to check the planning policies in your area but this will not generally require planning approval. Otherwise you can pretty much install anything such as textured brick (slips if necessary) metal shingles, charred timber or shou sougi ban. You can even have the upvc spray painted if cost is an issue.
    cc0412 thanked Lariko Architects

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us on 0808 164 9310 (8am - 5pm GMT excluding weekends)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.