0
Your shopping basket is empty.

What should I do with the ugly UPVC windows??

Lori Taylor Arnold
15 May, 2017

We are looking to buy a masionette flat in an early large 4 storey victorian terrace and the previous owners have removed all the shash windows at the back and replaced them with very wide UPVC windows *shock* There is no way to put in sashes but does anyoe have any suggestions of what would work? I initially thought crittal style as they can be super wide but not sure it would fit the area? Sigh. Or just go with contemprary and try and style it out? HELP!

Traditional Sash Windows

Hi Lori

There's nothing stopping you from having timber casements or double box sash windows reinstalled. If you require further help please drop me a PM.

Regards

Graham

Lori Taylor Arnold thanked Traditional Sash Windows
    French and Westcott

I agree with Graham. You wouldn't believe the difference that reinstating the original windows will have. If the building is Victorian it will have been designed with traditional casement or sash windows. You can now get timber windows with double glazed units so they look traditional but have the thermal and acoustic qualities of a modern window. They have also come down in price a lot.

Lori Taylor Arnold thanked French and Westcott
  • Lori Taylor Arnold

Yes the original had sash windows throughout so it might be worth it, the only thing the estate agent said is that the removed the timber frames as they were exposed to south facing sun all day so the cost of reparis were large? hmmm.

Traditional Sash Windows

A well maintained timber window, regardless of their position, will have a far greater lifespan than any UPVC product.

French and Westcott

Exterior paints and finishes have come a long way in the last few years and last a lot longer than they used to. We provide all our windows and doors finished in 3 coats of micro-porous paint and offer an 8 year guarantee on it.

Timber sash windows are more expensive than UPVC but they also add a lot of value to your property and increase it's desirability for re-sale.

You need to check with the freeholder that you can change these.
    Lori Taylor Arnold thanked Jonathan
  • Lori Taylor Arnold

thanks and yeah i thought that might be the case and it's with the upstairs maisionette who have the same windows so they might say no. It wouldn't be a deal breaker though if not

• headers13

It's a real shame when people replace wooden sash windows with upvc. As Jonathan says check with the freeholder & if budget permits replace with wooden sashes.

Lori Taylor Arnold thanked headers13
    V.I.P Walls Ltd
    100% install shutters

They will give a more traditional feel again
    Lori Taylor Arnold thanked V.I.P Walls Ltd