mordzy

Home layout dilema after plans approved for extension into barn

Alex
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello. I live in a small 2 bed grade II listed cottage which has finally had planning approved to extend into an existing barn workshop. Planning have been hard work and have not allowed us to extend the cottage and rather create a modest 'link' central to the property between the barn and the house.

However this creates living issues. Since initial submission, we now have two young children and find the existing interior plans only allow for 2 beds in the barn and the existing 2 in the house.

We've thought about adding a downstair master to the barn and so we are next to the kids but this means losing our utility (not a biggie) but also eating into the 'family room'. I know there is a stigma attached to downstairs bedrooms etc but I'm not completely averse to it unless someone tells me otherwise that its an extremely bad idea.

We've considered moving the kitchen to the barn, and making the old kitchen a downstairs cloakroom/boot room storage etc.

We feel no matter how we spin the design we are losing any flow. or seem to find ourselves in a situation where one side of the house would not be used.

Although our architect has helped to a degree we are still stuck. Ideally wed like some help making most of the space before we commence on the build.

Ive attached our current plans to see if anyone has suggestion to 're jig' the interior. Ive also attached my own ideas for a downstairs master to replace the utility and study.

The plans are 1:100scale external ground floor is 12x5.80m

plans picture with additional details

3d image of design

My idea below for ground floor. Ideally id like to lose the cloakroom toilet to make the master bigger but I'm stuck. Any advice would be great.

Comments (28)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.