marieearl77

To have an island or not?

Ellie
6 years ago

Planning my new kitchen/diner which we will create by knocking through wall between kitchen and dining room.

It is a 6 x 5 m almost rectangular room, see below of a quick sketch up I created - the furniture has only been drawn in as examples.

House · More Info
The door into the kitchen/diner is on the bottom left of pic, this is the door in from the hallway.

Along the 5m wall at top of pic we plan around 3.5m sliding doors onto garden (south facing)

Along the right wall is a bay window, depth 40cm (built-in window seat an option?)

On the wall at bottom of screen is stairs going up to bedrooms, with the bottom of the stair starting near the bay window side. With the stair going upwards, there will be understairs storage that could be used for pantry/fridge freezer.

What I want..... a dining table enough to seat 6. We are a family of 4 - 2 children ages 5 and 7. We sit down at the dining table every night for dinner and eat breakfast at the table too.

I am not sure of layout, open to options.

Island - never had one so not sure how well it woudl/could be used or if it would just get in the way?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.