assia_i

***Please Help - House ground floor layout change***

Assia Ivanova
6 years ago

Hello,

I am a first time homeowner of a 38+35 sq. m. house in upcoming Royal Docks, London. I have a major renovation and redesign project on my hands and would love some creative advice on how to best exploit the potential space in the house.

The house is a relatively standard 3 bedroom fully detached family house + garden + detached garage. I would like to live on the ground floor and have two ensuite studio rooms for parents and family upstairs. I need to have my privacy downstairs, so I am looking to initially create a bedroom and bathroom downstairs and have open space kitchen/dining/cosy living initially. Later on I will add a 4mx7.5m extension to make another guest ensuite bedroom and expand the living space.

My biggest challenge is that I cannot visualise the future ground floor layout.....

I would love to hear your tips on how to make the best use of the space I currently have in light of a future extension.

The current layout is kitchen, dining, living downstairs and 2.5 bedrooms + 1 bathroom upstairs. The house entrance and front windows are facing west and the back of the house has 2 entry points into a 7.7m wide and 10.5m deep garden. The garden starts to get shadow at around 2pm. Light and sun is of major importance to me :) At the end of the garden there is a a detached garage. I do not drive, but I work from home occassionaly and love to have brunch with open french windows on weekends, weather in the UK permitting! The garden and the garage both have entry from the side street, so no neigbours there. The other side of the garden borders with the neighbour's house wall (no windows) and their garden (houses are in cascade order).

The stairs split the rectangular house in half. I considered changing the stairs and decided I don't want to as the costs for 2nd floor layout change will rocket. Hence, I need to think if my bedroom goes to the south or north side, subject to where I would better have the guest bedroom and extended living later on. Also, the kitchen is currently on the south side of the house with the waste pipe being on the east wall. I have considered splitting the toilet and have open plan shower and double sink in the bedroom with a foldable screen.

I would love to hear your creative ideas on how to make the best of the current footage considering a future extension. Happy to knock some walls and put more windows where possible.

I have included original floorplan and some photos (decor is from previous owners). Please ask if you need any more info.

Many Thanks,

Assia :)

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.