granddesigns101

Living room transformation

My practice has just completed a project in Northwood for which the 'before and after' photographs are attached. Its not the biggest project we've ever worked on, but one of the most satisfying. The brief was simply to modernise and breath new life into a traditional living room that had a rear 1980's conservatory tacked onto the back. The client was very open-minded about what should be done, and the main changes were:

- To widen the living room (by taking some space from a sub-optimal dining room next door)

- Increase the natural light levels

- Make better use of the conservatory space, which had the usual problem of being too hot in summer and too cold in winter (the solution was to demolish it and extend into the space freed up by doing this)

- Generally give the space a more contemporary feel.

One of the main decisions was to cut out the corners of the room to make two large 'picture windows' at either side with a slate wall in-between. This arrangement has the advantage of making the most of the oblique views across the garden, and not a face-on view of the (ugly) garage side door beyond.

The work outside is not finished yet, and I have suggested to the client that the short views to the garden beyond the window to the right would look great if the garden were given a Japanese-style treatment with soft planting such as acers and water features such as bamboo pipe spouts dripping into raised reflection bowls.

Before

After

Comments (15)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.