ben_callis

5m by 3.5m Kitchen design help

Ben

We are in the process of planning our kitchen and would love some feedback and possible suggestions on our current plan.

We live in a 2 bedroom tenement flat in Glasgow (built in 1900). It has very spacious rooms with a ceiling height of 3.2m.

The current kitchen is pretty dated and only fills a small part of the room. We are pretty keen cooks and dine in this kitchen.

The plan is to move the kitchen over to the other wall, box in the boiler and use the alcove in the order for some shelves (it's fairly awkwardly placed to make good use out of it).

We plan to stay in this flat for around 5 years and have a fairly small budget so we are looking at IKEA for the cabinets and doors.

After spending a large amount of time with the 3d planner this is what we have come up with so far.

We would then have a table on the wall opposite the range cooker.

We are leaning towards white cabinet fronts (maybe SAVEDAL?) and likely a wood effect laminae (would go for real wood but the maintenance seems very difficult especially for a kitchen which is used a lot). Most people seem to recommend Duropal worktops and I have received a few samples and can appreciate the quality. However, we feel they clearly look like laminate (no texture, curved edge etc).

After doing a bit more digging it seems Howdens do a squared edged wood effect worktop which looks more realistic but I read fairly bad things about the quality.

https://www.howdens.com/kitchen-collection/kitchen-worktops/bullnose-matt-laminate-38mm-worktops-616mm-deep/oak-block-effect-worktop/

For the walls the plan is to use metro tiles in white or perhaps grey? The floor we may use a dark tile or perhaps some good quality wood laminate/tile.

Floor plan here (we have decided against the wall cupboards due to the constraints that the boiler adds).

Any thoughts/feedback on the current plan would be greatly appreciated.

• tamp75
    Hi, just thought I'd add that B & Q do a wood effect square edge laminate worktop. We installed it in our utility a couple of months ago and I'm pleased with it although can't comment on the durability. However, if you're not planning on staying there too long, I'm sure it would last well enough. In terms of flooring, LVT tiles like Karndean (or many similar options) would probably work better than wood or laminate in a kitchen.
  • Daisy England
    The plan looks ok.
    Regarding worktops Howdens aren't the greatest. Quality isn't the best. Take a look at the Bushboard Options range. The Options range is new and not released until the end of this month but there are some square edges within this range.
    You could always have a 665mm deep worktop and cut back down to a standard 600mm to make it square edged and apply an ABS edging or reapply the edging strip to the square edge that comes with the worktop.

Kitchen Design HELP!

I would consider the cost implications of adding an extension, when, I don't think it's necessary. I do like Jonathan's plan above, but it does involve a lot of knocking about and moving things. I would consider that you don't need an extension at all, just work with what you have and open up the space:- Of course if you still want the extension for more space, then you can use the plan at the top, but the one at the bottom I personally think opens up the space, gives you all you need with minimal fuss and expense. As you say, you're only going to be there 4 or 5 years, so why pay out to add another 7 feet?

Lay out design help for kitchen / diner

❤ has anyone done a similar build they can show me xx

6m x 5.5m kitchen ideas.... Help!

Hi Emma, I noticed you are seeking advice on your kitchen extension, and I would love to know more about how you would use the space. Looking from your basic drawing I personally would have your dining table parallel to your kitchen island so it’s a smoother transition from your living space. You could consider a built-in bespoke banquette seating so it doesn’t take as much space and would look really smart (size and space depending). Hope this advice helps and please contact me if you are seeking any design assistance. Kind regards, Andretti

5m opening - Bifold or Sliding doors

From a 20 year experience in domestic construction industry I would definitely advise 2 panel sliding. The view to the garden will be amazing and easy to operate. From technical point sliding doors have very low maintenance if not at all. On the other hand the bifold doors have higher maintenance due to wear and tear of the byfold-sliding gear. Should you decide to go for bifold then consider to go for high end german brands like Schuco.
  • J A
    We have real wooden countertops; we cook a lot with spices that stain and regularly spill red wine. In the three years we have had them we have done no "maintenance" and the worktops don't look brand new but nor do they raggedy and terrible. (FYI our cabinets are high gloss so if our worktops had gotten very worn it would be very noticeable.)

My point is I wouldn't discount real wood as an option.
    Ben thanked J A
  • Ellie

Apart from wanting an updated kitchen, what else are your priorities? What do you need? Do you need table for 4/6?

Could you try to get one of your tall units eg larder or fridge freezer into that alcove to save floorspace?

I would hide the boiler with a kitchen unit.

• A B

I think you can't beat an Ikea white and wood kitchen when on a budget, always looks more expensive than it is. Just wondering if you have a option to section off the right side of kitchen between alcove and door to make a small utility room and get your laundry out of the kitchen?

• minnie101

Hi. How deep is your boiler? I might have a cabinet that sits on the worktop on the oven wall to hide it. I might also extend the alcove shelves round to the tall unit. After trying and failing to find images earlier I've just looked at this houzz tour which does exactly that! I think aesthetically it would also work better without the larder unit next to the window. Could you perhaps consider a slim depth sideboard type cabinet or maybe a tall larder on the wall opposite the oven and then have a 2'6 table in the middle? I also wouldn't discount real wood. I had walnut in my previous house and it just seemed to get better with age. I also cook a lot and just oiled it every 3 months from memory. Also agree a luxury vinyl tile such as karndean is perfect for a kitchen

https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/kitchen-tour-a-flexible-family-space-with-a-country-aesthetic-stsetivw-vs~84374571

• andrewbooton
    The shelving idea in the alcove wastes a lot of space. If you don't need the units on the door wall, you could instead use the space more efficiently by building a deep larder or laundry in there.
  • shjuly
    Just to second what JA said above, I wouldn't discount real wooden worktops either. They are much more hardwearing and forgiving than people seem to think. I had oak worktops for about 5 years in my old house and in that time they were thoroughly used and abused - hot pans put down without thinking, stuff spilled, edges knocked. In that time we only sanded down and re-oiled once and they looked as good as new. I'm definitely getting wood again when we come to do the kitchen in this house.
  • Ben

Thanks everyone for you comments so far.

We will check out B&Q square worktops thanks for that suggestion.

LVT tiles sound a very good idea. We will request some samples from Karndean.

Bushboard Options range looks good. I have just requested some samples. Can't find many places selling online at the moment (I guess this is because it is new) and the prices seem pretty high for laminate (more than Duropal I think) e.g http://www.worktopcity.com/products/prod_6016806-Bushboard-Options-Warm-Walnut-Block-41mtr-Square-Edged-Curved-Worktop.html

I did make some plans where we put a fridge in the alcove to make better use of it. The problem I was having was that then the far right wall can not really be used for anything (though about putting some slim cupboards along the wall but it may look strange).

There is already a fairly large pantry of the kitchen (main door into kitchen is by the radiator with a door next to it into a 1.5m x 15.m pantry) so I don't really think we need another cupboard

Boiler is around 40cm deep. Main a full length cupboard for it to hide in like that would look much better for sure. The only draw back with it could be opening the bottom part as it will open into the worktop (meaning to get access we would need to move things away from the worktop in from of it). I still feel it is worth it for the limited time we access the boiler. Did you just leave a small gap to avoid it scratching along the worktop when opening?

Regarding dining we would like to be able to have a table that could fit 6 at aa push but would usually set it for just four people.

Worktops-express seem to do really good value real wood worktops so maybe we should still consider them. What do people usually do round the sink area as keeping that water free would be very difficult.

• Jenny

Take a look at http://www.handmadekitchens-direct.co.uk/?gclid=COmHmbubldQCFaEW0wodsVcO1A

they have always got sales on, think about freestanding units as well they have some beautiful larder styles that can be moved with you when you leave. Good luck!

• Ben
    last modified: 4 years ago

It seems I would be able to fit a run of cabinets/cupboards along the far wall into the alcove and still be able to gain access. This makes hiding the boiler easier as it does not open on to any cabinets.

Another alternative could be this:

• J A
    Around the sink area is holding up well. But we have a dishwasher so perhaps less traffic than average.
  • Ben

Another design to throw into the mix:

• Melissa S

Not a professional designer but keep away from that last one - you'd be taking hot trays etc out of the oven and have nowhere to put them and would have to carry them in front of two doorways.

Interested in this as I'm also in a Glasgow tenement with a similar kitchen renovation planned! One of the things I've been doing (we're keen cooks too) is thinking of a couple of things we do all the time (breakfast, mid-week dinner, Sunday roast etc) and drawing a map of how we would have to move around the kitchen to make them. It's good for showing when things are too far apart.

• Ben

Very good point. So I guess its back to near enough the original design with a few tweaks.

1. Better boxed in boiler (thanks to colourhappy)

2. The shelves now span around the corner in the alcove (thanks minnie10)

Do you think it makes sense to put another similar cupboard at the opposite side of the boiler to make it symmetrical in order to try and disguise the fact that that one side is clearly a boiler?

• tamp75
    I don't think the extra cupboard is needed although I'm usually all for symmetry. It's only symmetrical at worktop level and not as an overall view of that wall so personally don't think the extra cupboard works. Plus it's an awkward space to get to over the corner of the worktop, especially to reach the top of the cupboard.
  • Ben

Yeah, I think you are right.

So I could high cabinet there (may be useful for storing glasses at easy reach).

Or just put some drawers and have more workspace.

• Jenny

This last one is much better!! Hate floating wall units, this looks open and bright!

• Jenny

• Jenny

This is lovely

• Ben

That looks very nice. We wouldn't be able to have shelves next to it (only a 10cm gap between boiler and cupboard) but could certainly leave a gap under it for bread etc as above. We could probably make the gap enough to fit in a microwave but i guess it will stick out a bit.

Just to confirm josully you prefer the extra workspace by the window as opposed to the high cabinet?

• minnie101

I like the last plan. I might however opt for another cupboard on the end of the sink run rather than the drawers. Did you also try the boiler cupboard facing this way? If not I might try adding more shelves to the left of the window to balance it out

The Brighton Kitchen by deVOL · More Info

• Ben

minnie101 the way the boiler is facing doing the cupboard the other way would make it very difficult for access (although it definitely would look at lot better I don't feel it would be practical for when the boiler gets serviced).

I feel this seems slightly more balanced

• minnie101

I suppose it would make it trickier. I know how much it costs to move boilers to other rooms but no idea how much it would cost to move it inches if you did prefer the cabinet on that wall. I'm not keen on the tall cabinet personally, it just seems to be crowding the window and taking away the airy feel, if you didn't want more shelves you could add a large piece of art etc instead. It's your kitchen though, not mine :)

• Jenny

Yes much prefer extra workspace by the window, would add shelves to balance, for fresh herbs/ recipe books, I'm very jealous currently pining after side return extension to make my kitchen dining room a similar size! Good luck with it all! Love the last devol pic too

• Ben

I think that will look nice. The only issue is then what to put on the shelves. The kitchen is north facing so growing herbs is very difficult (even in the large window still). Will have a look for some inspiration of what to put on the shelves.

Classic Kitchens Direct
    last year

classic kitchens direct are great value all year around www.classic-kitchens-direct.com

• Charnelle
    last year

Hi Ben,

I like the 2nd last design, the one without the cupboard opposite the boiler. Having a wall unit there breaks the sight line and makes it feel cluttered. I would use the shelves for glasses and cups. I have wood worktops from worktop express. Great quality, just a little wear 3 years on. We opted for an oil finish and need to do the 1st re-oil soon. We have a dishwasher so minimal dishes done but the sink is siliconed under it's rim. Water doesn't seem to be an issue yet.