ben_callis

5m by 3.5m Kitchen design help

Ben
6 years ago

We are in the process of planning our kitchen and would love some feedback and possible suggestions on our current plan.

We live in a 2 bedroom tenement flat in Glasgow (built in 1900). It has very spacious rooms with a ceiling height of 3.2m.

The current kitchen is pretty dated and only fills a small part of the room. We are pretty keen cooks and dine in this kitchen.

The plan is to move the kitchen over to the other wall, box in the boiler and use the alcove in the order for some shelves (it's fairly awkwardly placed to make good use out of it).

We plan to stay in this flat for around 5 years and have a fairly small budget so we are looking at IKEA for the cabinets and doors.

After spending a large amount of time with the 3d planner this is what we have come up with so far.

We would then have a table on the wall opposite the range cooker.

We are leaning towards white cabinet fronts (maybe SAVEDAL?) and likely a wood effect laminae (would go for real wood but the maintenance seems very difficult especially for a kitchen which is used a lot). Most people seem to recommend Duropal worktops and I have received a few samples and can appreciate the quality. However, we feel they clearly look like laminate (no texture, curved edge etc).

After doing a bit more digging it seems Howdens do a squared edged wood effect worktop which looks more realistic but I read fairly bad things about the quality.

https://www.howdens.com/kitchen-collection/kitchen-worktops/bullnose-matt-laminate-38mm-worktops-616mm-deep/oak-block-effect-worktop/

For the walls the plan is to use metro tiles in white or perhaps grey? The floor we may use a dark tile or perhaps some good quality wood laminate/tile.

Floor plan here (we have decided against the wall cupboards due to the constraints that the boiler adds).

Any thoughts/feedback on the current plan would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (29)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.