sbcbc

corner fireplace - free standing or built in?

Suzanne C
6 years ago

This is our extension (single storey) we are currently building. I am not sure whether to have a freestanding corner log burner or to have something built in like an inset fireplace. The flue has to go up the corner of the room on the left as there will be large windows above the extension on the main house and so the flue would need to go to the side.

There are large windows that have an amazing view of the garden that are south facing. We have put a TV in the opposite corner as there is a natural shadow there. We plan to run a stud wall at the back to fit in pocket doors, so could play with space to have an inset fire.

Any ideas on the fireplace? As it is open plan, I don't want it to dominate the room, but yet still have a wow factor and be snug in the winter. (We may have curtains so need to make room for a fireplace and curtains for a safety factor).

We also have roof light/windows above so the zoning of the rooms is centred around those.

What would you do?

Comments (20)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.