steph_au

I need advice re sharing build costs with neighbours

Steph Au
6 years ago

Hi all

I own a lower ground flat in a Victorian terrace house in London and have decided to apply for a rear extension.

My neighbour also then decided he wanted to extend and we were advised to submit a joint planning application for both extensions, which is in process. We have also submitted a single story extension application for the basement as a backup.

Should we be successful we need to go about working out how to divide labour and materials costs for the extension.

Is there any precedence or 'best practice' for something like this in terms of splitting the costs? e.g.

* Are foundation costs generally split 50/50?

* Do we split the costs of the materials (bricks/cement etc) used for the whole extension or do we literally break this down to what is used for lower ground vs raised ground floor

* I assume we will cover things like our own external doors and windows

Any and all help appreciated

Thanks!

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.