sally_harrison68

Which window style would you choose

LTS
6 years ago
Hi
We are choosing windows to go either side of 4m bifolds. We like the look of 2 panes of glass that both open (first photo) but are wondering if we will miss having a small envelope window for ease & security. I know that you can securely open a full window a tiny bit but not as much as an envelope window. I hope that makes sense! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Comments (24)

• LTS
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It seems the photos haven't uploaded in the correct order! We like the second photo the best.
  • wendy jenny
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The smaller windows looks better. They complements the exterior walls the larger windows draws attention to itself: bit don't mesh properly the walls already have a simple beauty.

• Related Discussions

• Justin Eames
    6 years ago
    The full height windows (2nd pic) look best and are more symmetrical imo.

For the 4m opening; have you considered swing and slide? We just had these fitted and are very pleased with them.
  • tamp75
    6 years ago
    I agree that photo 2 looks best but photo 3 is also ok. I'm presuming that this is for the back of the house? Is security a major factor - i.e. is there public access to the back of the house? Presumably you wouldn't leave the windows open if you weren't in anyway in which case photo 2 would be best.
  • LTS
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone...lovely to wake up to so many replies whilst on holiday in Devon :)

It's a rear single storey extension but we need to replace the rear top windows too. We had narrowed it down to Origin windows but welcome suggestions. Also want integrated blinds in the extension but those are working out at £4K (£2k for the bifolds & £1k per window) so quite pricey. We like how you can slat them & still see out & nothing flaps about when open...no idea how/if they'd work with an envelope window? I'm not a fan of heat hence no roof openings but we will have air con.

We prefer the look of the 2nd photo but find having a little top window to open is handy in our current set up. Security should be ok as the garden is secure. I mocked up this one before bed last night to see what 5 doors looked like.

How big are your doors Justin? They look lovely! Could you give me a rough idea of price? We've had two quotes of £4.4k for 4m Origin bifolds.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated as always :)
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

If you had said you were on holiday, then nobody would have answered !!!! Alright for some.

• minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi LTS. Hope you're enjoying your holiday! I'm with Hugh on this, I much prefer no 1 and no 4 if you wanted the envelope windows for security. I must admit we don't have windows open downstairs unless we're in but the smaller windows may be useful In colder months. I think the blind is fitted between the glass so it won't affect window opening. Having said that I might worry how the blinds would look in case they don't line up exactly, plus would it look odd with the window frame in between? (have tried looking for an image of similar windows but can't find one). I've copied a link re pros and cons of the blinds

https://modernize.com/home-ideas/29878/windows-with-integral-blinds-worth-it-or-not

• Ellie
    6 years ago

Definitely number 1. Perfect symmetry, blend in well with the doors. Others are a bit mis-matched.

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    I would have the small opening lights all the way across the small windows as opposed to half way.
  • LTS
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks everyone!!

Sorry MATH! Have had a lovely day at Woolacombe beach...bit burnt now though, unfortunately!

Hi Minnie, we are having a great time thanks. Weather is being kind to us & it is not too hot...just how I like it :) Thanks for the link to the integral blinds - I have read mixed reviews about them but can't see any other ways of dressing the windows where we can see out & the doors aren't obstructed when in use. I'm not a huge fan of voile & we don't have enough space either side of the doors for curtains. Another option is to have a roller blind hidden behind a cassette but when it is lowered it would obstruct the doors. Ugh!

Back to window styles...these are the Origin windows. I still prefer the flush larger windows, I think....
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    6 years ago
    Am wel jel ! Oh, to get the chance to sit on a beach !!!

I prefer the look of the two full panes too - think you can get security feature to limit opening on those can't you ??
    Have an ice cream for me !!!
  • LTS
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes the windows can open securely a little bit for a gap of air flow.

Mixed weather today but the sun is out again now! :)
  • PRO
    McCann Moore Architects
    6 years ago
    the good old burnt toast window! always a good idea.
    my preference would be option 1 - simple and elegant. these will also look good with blinds.
    given that you are opting for a quite clean, crisp and modern elevation I the window design should reflect this
    good luck with the project
  • tezz4
    6 years ago

My preference is option 1. Another look l like is flipping the vertical to horizontal and having the upper half opening outward and the lower half fixed.

The favourite with me is one whole pane opening in three directions, that is outward sideways, flipped out at the bottom, and flipped out at the top.

About the integrated blinds, they look nice large windows and doors. But what if they go wrong...?

• LTS
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you McCann Moore Architects and tezz4 - is it this option you prefer?
  • Justin Eames
    6 years ago
    Hey LTS, sorry I didn't see your question sooner... we bought our doors as a bundle with 4 small windows, a 2.1m french (Juliet balcony) with 2x0.5m openers and 2x0.8m fixed above, along with a new rear door for the utility... this was 7k all in, so I would expect comparative to the price you have.

The nice thing about swing and slide is no hinged linkage to bother with. You can also elect to have only a select number of panels open if you wish. Worth a look if you haven't placed an order yet :)
  • Monique
    6 years ago
    Definitely photo 1. Nice clean lines. You could always have trickle vents to aid ventilation.
  • PRO
    Clever And Simple
    6 years ago

Hi LTS, are you changing the top windows in the existing house to match the windows in the extension? Personally, I don't like the small fan windows as the thickness of the frames blocks out the view too much. Your 1st picture with the symmetrical larger panes looks the best in my eyes (time stamped 22:23). As you've said, the larger frames still have both trickle vents and locking positions so the windows can be locked with a small air gap for circulation. We nearly went with these windows on our house, but decided to go for a single full opening window instead. we are very pleased with ours. I can upload a picture if you're interested.

For the integrated blinds, do you mean the blinds that are inside the window/door glass? I looked at the too but didn't like them for the following reasons:

• The blinds take up a large amount of the window when they are stacked open.
    • When the are lowered down but still open, the amount of light blocked was still quite high.
    • The speed of movement of the blinds in the glass was quite slow.

We will be using electric roller binds in the window reveal instead. It is possible to get blinds integrated into the folding door frames too. These are really neat but can be quite expensive as they are part of the folding door.

www.centor.com

I hope that all helps,

Peter

• tezz4
    6 years ago

The simpler the better for me.

• LTS
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Justin I will have a look at the swing & slide doors.
    Clever and Simple I need to have a think about the upstairs windows as I like the idea of matching to the extension but may want a fan window with young children. Yes I meant the blinds inside the glass...will check out your suggestion of electric roller blinds in the reveal. Thanks!
  • LTS
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Actually i think we do need fan windows upstairs with the extension being part flat roofed. That way we can leave a small window open overnight in warm weather & gain more air flow than having a large window locked open a small gap.
  • Lee Paladin
    2 years ago

Hoping that this home improvement worked out just perfectly and the windows offered all you wanted and needed. Almost everyone loves the efficiency that comes with new windows.

Empire Window Company

• LTS
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Lee it did :)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.