lucylu_5000

I think I've made a big mistake..... please help!

lucylu_5000
6 years ago

I've recently painted my living room Farrow & ball dayroom yellow. I was going for a certain theme of colours but it doesn't seem to have worked in reality. My wall paper is a duck egg with matching curtains & lampshade follwed by great floor and sofa. I was think of using accents of teal? Maybe changing the wallpaper? And adding a chair.

Advise would be greatly appreciated.☺

Thanks in advance.

Comments (36)

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi

• I think repositioning your TV unit would make a difference and putting an armchair where the TV is currently with the floor lamp next to it - creating a reading nook.
    • Also you need longer curtains to give it a more elegant look. If budget allows put up shutters.
    • Remove the shelf behind the sofa - doesn't work at all.
    • Put a rug down that ties in the colours - the one you have at the moment just gets lost with the wood.
    • A large painting/mirror behind the sofa - the small mirror seems a bit lost.
    • A few more cushions with the colours you are looking for to tie in and brighten the sofa area

Rug ideas

Cushion ideas

Curtains ideas

Mirror ideas

Armchair idea - add extra texture with a blanket/sheepskin snug

Overall idea

Hope this helps

Shannon

lucylu_5000 thanked Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

You can change lots of things but in my honest opinion the problem is with the colour of the yellow walls. If you look at the photos the floor looks very sophisticated, but it doesn't go with the wall colour. I would paint it another colour, perhaps a warm deep grey/brown. The shelves and mirrors behind sofa looks a little, fussy, could you move the mirror elsewhere and replace with one large piece? Buy some test pots, paint them onto large pieces of paper and tape them to the walls and then decide. I don't think yellow sits well with blonde or bleached wood.

lucylu_5000 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Related Discussions

I'm lost! Please help with my kitchen.

Q

Comments (544)
    Hello Amanda, : )) Do you mean in the kitchen? Yes a nice idea. I like flat plate too, but really plain. Well the best way to describe how I feel about certain alterations is to tell you about someone I knew who "did up" her flat to such a degree that she literally took away all that was characterful about it.. Sometimes it's best to leave things as their patina develops over time and results in something quite special. Restoration is one thing but you can also restore the life out of something and thus diminish in certain contexts the value- and so it's good to know when to stop.. So yes, I'm firmly in the camp suggesting leave them, but of course it's entirely your choice. : ))
    ...See More

I've inherited an Overgrown Garden...PLEASE HELP!!

Q

Comments (26)
    I love trees with great Autumn colour and have taken my Acers with me everytime I've moved. This month I've added some Hydrangas since the fading deep pink/red flowers will hopefully look great with the Acers once the leaves get their brilliant colour. However I've never grown Hydrangas before so I'm not sure if the flower colour will be the same next year since it's affected by soil ph. Anyhow, think you've done a fab job and I'm sure it will continue to get better since gardens are never ever finished!
    ...See More

Please help I think I have made a big mistake with this design

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi, I don't think it will dominate the space once the unit is painted/tiled. At the moment, the reason it seems to stick out is due to the colour contrast between the green and plaster. If you tile it/ paint it a similar shade to the tiles, it will blend in and look a part. And ofcourse, it will serve as great storage which is always a requirement.
    ...See More

Layout Mistake - Help Needed

Q

Comments (14)
    How about a gateleg or a Pembroke table? Most of the time it could be against the wall with only one flap up, then when you need to seat eight you could just pull it away from the wall and put up the second flap.They’re very traditional and might not suit your style but even so it might be worth a think? Can’t see your plan while writing this but an alternative could be putting your rectangular table against the wall, dress it well with a nice bowl of fruit or flowers and only pull it out into your current position when you need to seat eight. I think if you alter your utility room wall the resultant nib will be even more annoying than your current layout.
    ...See More
  • Ellie
    6 years ago

I think if you replace the curtains with white or ivory/long length and change the lightshade to something modern and bright it would make a big difference and the paint 'might' work then

lucylu_5000 thanked Ellie
  • Daisy England
    6 years ago
    I too don't think the shade of yellow is right. It's too bright and dark.
    The shelf behind the sofa is pointless so I'd get rid of that.
    I'd also swap the centre ceiling light shade for a chandelier of some sort to add some bling.
    lucylu_5000 thanked Daisy England
  • PRO
    Harris Interiors Ltd
    6 years ago

I would look into changing your paint colour, for example, if you were to change your wallpaper many other elements would have to be adjusted also. Whereas you could find a paint that fits better with the other parts of the room such as furniture, curtains and wallpaper etc... and use elements of the yellow in different aspects of the room such as cushion covers, lamp shades or a rug. Hope this helps, good luck!

lucylu_5000 thanked Harris Interiors Ltd
  • lucylu_5000
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thankful for all your comments I agree the yellow has to go! I'd still like to keep the duck egg theme...any suggestions on paint colours that would compliment the wallpaper?

Thanks in advance!

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

Could you possibly put on a close up of the wall paper. It would be good to see what the background colour is.

• lucylu_5000
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• kikiamack
    6 years ago
    One of the contributors on Houzz has previously mentioned a rule of thumb when using different colours in a room. It's something like 60% main colour, 30% second colour, 10% third colour. So, you might not need to abandon your colour scheme altogether, just dial down the yellow to a couple of cushions and maybe a picture. I like the colour palette you have chosen in the Benjamin Moore inspiration picture, you just haven't achieved the same overall balance of colours yet.
    lucylu_5000 thanked kikiamack
  • maccabee7
    6 years ago
    I agree more with the first comments. The yellow is good, but your wallpaper doesn't have the punch that your inspiration picture has. I would definitely:
    -Mix up the sofa cushions with some pattern and colour
    -Get a rug that doesn't disappear
    -Swap the small wall shelves for one larger piece or bigger pictures. Maybe some other mirrors to add light?
    -Move the tv opposite the sofa, it looks awkward where it is, and put your lamp and maybe a chair in the corner.
    -Add longer curtains or put up a blind

If you can't splash out on different wallpaper maybe paint that wall white, or light greyand add some colour in accessories.

The other thing that may be worth considering instead is painting the window wall white, as this would break up the yellow and the wallpaper, and maybe with some brighter accessories this would bring it together. Your radiator and skirting boards are small, so a white wall here would stop the wall looking bitty and brighten the room.

Good luck whatever you decide!
    lucylu_5000 thanked maccabee7
  • obobble
    6 years ago
    A strong sunflower yellow can be a lovely accent for duck egg and teal, but not good in large amounts. You could repaint in a light or dark duck egg ( depending on the brightness of your room) or an ivory. I think solid colour curtains can look very stark almost clumsy in some schemes and yours definitely look too short and insufficiently full for the space. I agree a chandelier would help give that luxury vibe.
    lucylu_5000 thanked obobble
  • ledgebaby
    6 years ago

There is too much yellow. Keep it as an accent colour to 'ping out' of the teal. With the right proportions, it is a sophisticated palette combination. Yellow cushions and rugs would work well. I would repaint the walls with a colour that complements the wallpaper rather than change the paper.

The curtains are not the right length. I agree with previous comment - longer floor length ones or shutters would be more elegant. Worth noting that you have a radiator under the window so heavy curtains will block the heat once they are closed. Blinds can also work well.

The shelves look too bitty - just go for one larger statement feature on the wall - either some art or a bigger mirror.

Swap out the grey lampshade for something more modern and bright.

lucylu_5000 thanked ledgebaby
  • PRO
    Rise Art
    6 years ago

Hmmm I think that maybe if you added some artwork that incorporated grey and yellow, that might help to link the walls a bit better and bring the room together. Something like this print by Bruce McLean or one of Charlotte Whiston's prints.

lucylu_5000 thanked Rise Art
  • PRO
    Sara Levy Designs
    6 years ago

I love your ideas and I think you're nearly there. In addition to changing the yellow paint I would suggest a much larger mirror behind the sofa, a wider lamp shade, (removing the shelves so you don't hit your head when sitting), and perhaps painting the radiator the same colour as the wall so it doesn't look so obvious. Or you can put a radiator cover on top but it does reduce the heat. Longer curtains would make it more luxurious but it depends on your budget. I would prioritise the paint and the larger mirror or piece of art behind the sofa.

lucylu_5000 thanked Sara Levy Designs
  • adrianlowery
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I think any colour in the walls at all, with the wallpaper and other colours, will mean there's too much going on. I would go for a neutral / grey-white that has a tiny bit of green or blue pigment in it. Like F&B Strong White or Skimming Stone.

lucylu_5000 thanked adrianlowery
  • PRO
    Sara Levy Designs
    6 years ago

gorgeous!

lucylu_5000 thanked Sara Levy Designs
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

As the room isn't that big, and the floor is lovely I would focus on texture rather than colour. I would replace the lampshade for a large bamboo one (try ikea), Dunelm Mill sell some fabulous slubby linen eyelet curtains in a natural linen colour - floor length of course, and paint the walls a sympathetic colour. Skimming stone has been suggested. I have used this in my kitchen and bathroom and it should work with the floor and rug. Then, if it needs a bit more depth you could paint the wall behind the sofa dove tail, or charleston grey as they will work with the skimming stone. Cranking up the texture (sheepskins, wood, wicker) will help. Good luck.

lucylu_5000 thanked Juliet Docherty
  • PRO
    Art Decor Designs
    6 years ago

Hi

I think looking at your pictures that the room is looking very gloomy at the moment.

Although you have yellow walls it looks like you need more yellow as an accent colour in the accessories to lift it. E.g., you have too much grey on the sofa with the cushions being grey as well. The curtains would be better if they were grey but with yellow in also again to lift it.

Also rather than having the small mirror and two shelves which looks bitty in this smaller room I would go for a very large mirror behind the sofa to give more light and also to make the room look bigger.

I would paint the radiator yellow under the window too so this does not jump out and will recede into the background especially as it is so close to the TV cabinet and it draws your eye and again looks bitty.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Jean, Art Decor Designs

lucylu_5000 thanked Art Decor Designs
  • rachelmidlands
    6 years ago
    Hi there, just looked at your previous post and realized it was probably my suggestion to go for the yellow. I'll apologize now (sorry) but I do think that particular yellow is too dark. I still think it could work but I had something much paler in mind (see pics), Dulux lunar falls or morning light or something similar. I think it would probably be better on just the sofa wall as well and keep the the other two walls neutral. I also like the other suggestions for a pale blueish grey with yellow and white accessories.
    lucylu_5000 thanked rachelmidlands
  • headers13
    6 years ago

I would re do the yellow to a pale blue or pale grey & use accents of yellow if you want yellow. Longer curtains for sure. Bigger pendant light something more dramatic. Re-position the tv unit. Loose shelf above sofa. Bigger mirror & pictures.

lucylu_5000 thanked headers13
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Curtains are not right length. Make them to the floor and move rug under the sofa .

lucylu_5000 thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • tezz4
    6 years ago

Your damask wallpaper should be the starting point. It is a very classical design which has been incorporated into contemporary as well as eclectic design sets forever. The yellow is far too bold and quite frankly any yellow is annoying after some time so l would lean toward a very delicate duck egg blue (not green). Go simple with the curtains in order to not collide with the damask design, maybe an aqua in linen. The best solution in this case because of the radiator would be roman blinds - check out blinds2go. The tv unit needs to fit flat against the wall; it doesn't look good at an angle; and all the shelves behind the sofa make a mess of the wall. The tall lamp may look better in the corner where the tv is. You could add yellows and teal by way of accessories to boost the colour after losing the yellow paintwork.

lucylu_5000 thanked tezz4
  • PRO
  • karencarter44
    6 years ago

Sorry, but I didn't like the yellow either. Also yellow is, surprisingly, not a colour to produce a calm atmosphere. I like the wallpaper, and the teal is lovely, I should work from that basis. Play around with a piece of the wallpaper and stick samples on, paint colours, cut out bids from magazines, you'll probably be surprised what you come up with. I assume you are on a budget, but the curtains look a bit lost, you could try pulling them towards the centre a bit more and draping them over some type of hook at the sides and put up a plain roman blind for night time. Bizarrely, if you put the damask wallpaper in the alcove and round the door it just might tie the room together and will stop the curtains look looking out of place.

lucylu_5000 thanked karencarter44
  • PRO
  • lucylu_5000
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions. I have now repainted it in Laura Ashley creamware and it's looking so much better!

• PRO
    Couch Potato Company
    6 years ago

Perhaps a rocking chair could work well here - you could try with this one, with a sheepskin cover: https://www.couchpotatocompany.com/products/shaggy-rocker

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Could you post some updates please? Some photos ?

• भावना कुमारी
    6 years ago

the wall should be grey and with subtle touch of yellow furnishing. sorry but yellow wall is big let down as its too bright. should have been lighter shade of yellow !!!

• A S
    6 years ago
    Do you have any updated images, it'd be lovely to see the difference.
  • bagpuss2
    6 years ago
    Yellow was very popular in the late 1980s - often paired with royal blue or duck egg. As a colour it stimulates brain activity so it's sometimes used in school classrooms. If you must use it, use a F&B wallpaper for your feature wall which includes the yellow. Or scrap the existing feature wall and have the entire room yellow and go shopping for textiles that go with it
  • Ludo Gallagher
    6 years ago

Before you go changing expensive things, change the paint. It will be the cheaper change and most effective. Don't go for yellow. Yellow is fine for accessories but not walls. Because we don't want to change your wallpaper ideally, I would go for a soft grey wall.

• soozmacrae
    6 years ago

Sorry, but your curtains are one of my pet hates. They are ok for a bedroom, if you must, but replace them with floor length. Also your ceiling light is too plain. Something with a bit more oomph required. I'm glad you changed out the yellow.

• teenytinyhouse
    6 years ago

Take a sample of the wallpaper to B&Q and get some paint mixed to colour match it. Then replace the yellow and, as people have said above, accent with accessories. The curtains will then fit better into the colour pallet. You could use yellow tie backs, for a little pop?

• Lynnette Barry
    6 years ago

I am not sure if any one else has mentioned it, but also I would paint the radiator the same colour as the wall. You do not need special radiator paint. I use normal emulsion or eggshell on mine and it is fine.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.