fortune_ncomanzi

indoor swimming pool..HELP!

Fortune N
6 years ago

I would like to install an indoor swimming pool. I don't have a crazy budget but appreciate an outdoor pool i won't get much use of. i would love to hear from people who have done such an undertaking and any advice they might have on cutting costs. also anyone imported their pool from within europe? help! budget is 80-90k max. i must make it work

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Jo Chrobak Invent Design Create Ltd
    6 years ago

Hi Fortune,

Even the simplest pools that I have worked on professionally, we have always hired a pool company / expert to work alongside with, so definitely do your research to find a good one you like (Or search some here). From a professional perspective I can give you the following guidance having designed and worked on a around five indoor pools, some super lux and others just normal.

1. Get clear on your design and don't change your mind - this will cost you probably quite a lot especially if they have started work already (don't forget that most things you see with pools are hidden).

2. Don't cut costs on heating (water & room), drainage, pool systems, tanking, filters and pumps. You WILL have to fix it over and over and it will always be a thorn in your side. And always listen to the requests for access panels (undoubtedly you WILL eventually need access to absolutely everything).

3. You will most probably need to hire a M&E consultant or a ventilation company separately to deal with the air inside if your pool company doesn't already cover this.

4. Try to cut costs and save money on the external structure and finishes. There are an unlimited number of ways to design a nice pool enclosure - don't get stuck on one way, especially if you are on a budget. Get clear on one idea (fireplace at the end or pitched roof, or glazed end and see that through - your costs will explode if you start believing you need everything. One feature will work - make it special, and if you cant live without the others, put in provisions but save for them later). Don't forget tiling and finishes will need to have slip ratings.

5. Don't forget that glass (and mirrors) if not heated will fog up, spoiling your view out of windows.

6. Don't forget to think about the lighting (and maintenance of it - especially if it is above the pool).

7. Keep all of your warranties in tact and in a safe place - (You will most probably need them).

This is the end of my professional guidance! (Change of voice with an Aussie twang)

------The below should not be taken as professional advice or guidance in any way----

Now as an Aussie having worked on way too many pools that I think wasted a lot of money for absolutely nothing and having spent 28 years of my life swimming in millions of different pools, this is what I actually wanted to write to you!

1. I would totally explore European and Eastern European pools. Just like I would trust an Aussie company (but still use your brain, there are always duds amongst the good ones).

2. Never underestimate how strong the smell of chlorine is - you will smell it at least 10 metres away, behind air lock doors and even outside of the building (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise).

3. Salt water pools are superior and worth the investment. (My humble Aussie opinion).

4. Don't choose any plastic finishes for drains that are visible, they look cheap and tacky. There are some fantastic better quality ones (from Australia of course) - check out Aqua Bocci for drainage - its available here too.

5. Also, don't choose plastic edging strips for anything, not sure why these even exist on earth, no matter how expensive everything else is, it will look cheap and its one of the things you will always see. Think about the details and search online for how tiles are finished - there is always a way.

6. Consider an outdoor pool with a roof that closes and opens. Teamed with a good pool cover (electric of course) it could possibly be a much better solution depending on the location. I have always wanted to use Umbris, but haven't had a chance on a project yet!

I hope this gave you a head start!

P.S, I checked your idea board - your ideas for your pool are absolutely divine! I hope this helped because it would be a pity for such wonderful ideas not to become real!

Jo

and some pretty pics below, just because...

• PRO
    DRIPOOL Ltd
    6 years ago

Of course as our Aussie friend suggested, you will need a cover to control the smell and humidity from your indoor pool.

we have been designing and installing covers indoor or outdoor for 30 + years so when you are considering your pool build keep us in mind.

All the best, Ian from DRIPOOL Ltd.

• PRO
    Blue Cube Pools
    6 years ago

Hi Fortune, have you designed and built your pool, it would be great to see how you got on? Did you go with any added features such as swimjets or massage station? If you haven't checked out swimspas they are a great item which can be submerged, you can swim for long distances without needing the space and they often comes with massage jets etc. Naomi

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.