paula_evans9008

to tile or not to tile...

Paula Evans
6 years ago
Hi, we've just had our kitchen refurb done, just deciding on final details... Want cream metro tiles behind hob but not sure whether to continue them across the two walls to the window.. And if so what height should I go and where to finish? Or maybe I should forget tiles and go with upstands and a glass panel instead? I'm thinking of painting walls cream or sage.... Any help would be gratefully received xx

Comments (43)

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Personally I don't like tiles on the wall in the kitchen. That's just me. I'd opt for upstands and a splashback in front of the hob.
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you daisy xx
  • Related Discussions

Smart tiles/Peel and stick tiles

Q

Comments (7)
    Do you mean you want to replace your tiles or just cover up the 'feature' ones you have? I know you can buy tile stickers that will can effectively update feature tiles but probably wouldn't look good on a whole wall. Painting would be better for that - just make sure you really scrub and clean them first and use a quality primer and paint. http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/mibo/product/sample-tile-tattoos
    ...See More

Cover vinyl tiles with existing ceramic tiles

Q

Comments (3)
    I don’t feel a prospective buyer would worry about one cracked/broken tile to be honest. Nowadays people usually update a new home to their own taste. I would remove the tape unless it is a trip hazard as that will only make it look worse.
    ...See More

tiling question! matched tile?

Q

Comments (0)
    We're doing a total ground floor renovation on a late Victorian townhouse in London and I'm attracted to the idea of using tile in the entry hallway - maybe something light and/or colourful to lighten up the space, which will be dark. I also want to tile the walkway up to the house at some point in the future (when we have recovered financially from the renovation!) Thinking ahead, should the tiles match? I like traditional Victorian encaustic tiles for the outside (e.g the Lambeth pattern in beiges and blues), but I was thinking of something more modern/maybe in gray and white for the hallway. Should they match?
    ...See More

Where can I purchase white floor tiles and black floor tiles?

Q

Comments (3)
    Walls and Floors have these https://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/white-tiles-white-floor-tiles-15072 https://www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/matt-black-white-floor-tiles-black-floor-tiles-15071
    ...See More
  • Sunny
    6 years ago
    Lovely kitchen! I think the decision depends on the amount of full on cooking you do, I found it difficult to keep the tiles and the grout looking good behind the hob in my previous home, so a glass or stainless steel splashback is a more practical choice in my opinion. Also I prefer to have tiled walls (at least half height) over the worktops, that's because I love to cook and experiment and you never know when you end up opening a juicer a tad early!!
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you sunny, I'm not a big cook but I know what you mean... I was dishing out some homemade tomato soup today and I got a few spots up the wall somehow... So it does worry me about not tiling... But then tiles issues too... It's so difficult, I'm really pleased with the kitchen and I'm worried about spoiling it by choosing badly.... Xx
  • Sunny
    6 years ago
    Yes it's always difficult! but cream metro tiles would blend in and give you more peace of mind! Good luck deciding :-)
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Many thanks
  • A S
    6 years ago
    Hi,
    I personally dislike tiles in the kitchen and think they look too busy and it's difficult to maintain clean grout.
    I'd consider glass splashback (toughened glass for behind the hob), which is easy to clean and looks very clean.
    Alternatively, an upstand with scrubbable paint works well.
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    I think glass metro tiles would look lovely in pale Aqua/duck egg. Whenever I see this done I always think it looks stunning. Glass makes them look more on trend. I noticed you've got a few green or duck egg accessories and it would finish it off nicely. I would tile up to the wall units. I didn't and I ended up with splash marks on the paint which is annoying! I would then paint the walls white or off white so walls don't clash with tiles. Beautiful kitchen by the way!
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you A. S. for your suggestions, really appreciate them, I like the idea of scrubbable paint, never thought of that xx
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you forza Italia, I also love duck egg and sage tiles but the samples I got all looked grey as there isn't lots of light coming in the kitchen.. I must have another look at pale aqua glass tiles, that's a good idea xx
  • Sven
    6 years ago

I can see you like colour by the accessories but seem scared of it - I would go for either a stainless steel and pink splashback or pink around where splashes are likely like this photo:

• Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi sven, yes you're right I am scared of bright colours, but I do love green and blues... The pink is certainly a striking but a bit bold for me... I prefer more pastel colours, sage, lavender, duck eggs etc xx
  • Sven
    6 years ago

You can certainly get splashbacks in pastels - I saw duck egg blue the other day. If you have underlighting under the wall units it really sets that off.

• Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes we do have lighting under the cupboards, that's a good point... I might go online to see what is available. Many thanks Xx
  • PRO
    Peden & Pringle Ltd
    6 years ago
    Hello. We would recommend a glass backsplash, colour matched to your wall colour which will help keep the feel you currently have. Best, P&P
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ooh thank you celerygirl that's really helpful xx
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you peden & pringle .. I really do like the look I have now, I don't want anything too modern as I'm going for the shabby chic look... I'd always thought glass splashbacks were too modern, but in the same wall colour, that could work too xx
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

Or you can go with splashback only below cabinets.

The Hither Green Shaker Kitchen by deVOL · More Info

• Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes that's nice too Xx thank you celerygirl
  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Cream metro tile with cream walls

Sage walls

• Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oh wow! That's brilliant! Thanks celerygirl, which one do you prefer? Sage or cream? Xx
  • PRO
  • PRO
    6 years ago

marble herringbone tile with gray walls

• PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    6 years ago
    Hi Paula

Your kitchen looks great and there are some good suggestions on here for you.

If you do decide to tile, we sell a brilliant grout called Fugabella Eco which gives a very strong finish and is resistant to staining and water.
    We also have some nice tiles too
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    Hi Paula, found some nice images of glass metro tiles in Aqua. Laura Ashley also do a lovely iridescent metro tile in a soft mix of colours which looks very country style. By the way I have mosaic tiles as a splash-back and there is a lot of grouting but it still looks good after seven years and not difficult to clean. The first pic is my kitchen, but I've recently repainted the walls duck egg blue.
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    The photos did not download in the right order! The second picture is my kitchen.
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi forza Italia! Thanks for the photos! I love your kitchen and your tiles are beautiful! Where did you get them from? Xx
  • Sonia
    6 years ago
    Hi Paula, the mosaic tiles were from Topps Tiles but it was seven years ago. Here's another closer photo with new wall colour. You should have a mooch around tile retailers and see what catches your eye. The choice is amazing. I usually visit them several times until I find something that catches my eye. DIY stores have a very limited choice. I think we have similar tastes don't we? You have a beautiful country kitchen which is just up my street! Good luck.
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Lovely! Yes we have similar tastes... Will have to keep looking! Thanks or should I say grazie mile forzaitalia!
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

I agree with forzaitalia I think metro tiles will really suit your kitchen/style in eau de nil, duck egg or sage. You could tile as per pic or or up to the cupboards etc. How deep is the window reveal as that may be better tiled as you don't really want the tiles to finish with an edge. Handmade metro tiles are nice giving added texture etc. Or Laura Ashley do some artisan ones which may be the ones forzaitalia is referring to. We removed tiles recently which we understand to be 25 years old and the grout was in perfect condition so I assume it had been sealed. Some of the expoxy grouts are meant to be stain, waterproof etc which sound the same as the grout reed harris tiles mentioned somits wirth looking into

• Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Minnie101 I have saved that exact same picture on pintrest, I love it... I just haven't found the right tiles... I have got a massive sample selection of greens, creams and duck eggs... I do like the rustic artisan tiles but I like things to look even and symmetrical and I think the uneven finish and the way the light hits them making them almost 'wet' looking will play havoc with my OCD
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Oops got my knees in the pic! Lol
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

Lol! If I do a google search for that image it comes up with eBay London metro celery green gloss brick wall tiles 10x20. Those are no longer available with that seller but if you do that search on eBay there are a few sellers who seem to be stocking the same ones. It doesn't sound as if handmade ones are for you! I do like some of the samples you have too

• Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ooh thanks for that Minnie101 I'll check them out! Do you think cream metro will look too bland with the cream cupboards? I'm not sure whether to make a contrast or get everything to blend in and have the green as an accent colour in the accessories? Xx
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

I don't think it will be bland if you go for a lighter/darker shade of the cream if you're not sure on the green/blue. Maybe add more blue /green with a Roman blind, a pattern might be good for a shabby chic look and could include pink/lavender. You could hang it outside of the recess at the same height as the units. The window is a fair distance from the hob so hopefully it would survive well! I like your canisters but maybe change those to add colour?

• GardenFairyGodmother GFG
    6 years ago
    Hi Paula, love your new kitchen. We are starting something similar but white shaker units and walnut worktop. We were going to do white metro and grey grout but have decided on matching walnut upstands and a glass splash back behind hob. It was going to be white walls but now have decided on duck egg blue walls. Love the idea of glass metro tiles in duck egg blue for your kitchen. It would suit your cream units and table cloth.
  • PRO
    6 years ago

I m crazy about light gray walls and gray splash back. :-)))

• k8_barton
    6 years ago
    I've just had upstands and washable kitchen paint in my last 4 houses! At first this was due to lack of funds, but found it was so much easier, you can change the colour if you want, easy to wipe down, and tiles can date kitchen. Those kitchens saw me cooking for 3 little boys through to adulthood so had to be tough! Your kitchen looks lovely.
  • Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks guys for all your tips and suggestions, I really appreciate them! Xx
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Paula! Keep us updated please!

• Paula Evans
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I will celerygirl!
  • PRO
    Topps Tiles
    6 years ago

Hi Paula,

A light coloured metro tile or similar would really finish your kitchen off and is a great way to add a subtle hint of colour. Duck egg blue or mint, like others have mentioned, would work really well here. Or alternatively, if you're worried about getting tired of the colour, cream is always a classic and you can then add colour in using accessories and change this up as you wish.

Our Diamante tiles come in a range of soft pastels and cream too - https://www.houzz.co.uk/projects/2526025/diamante

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.