mrsclairenicholson

UFH and flooring dilema at top of stairs / third floor!

Claire Nicholson
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello! After a little bit of help and advice with underfloor heating and flooring on the third floor of our house please; it's part of a whole house renovation that we're currently tackling! We decided to take the top floor as our master suite, which was previously two double bedrooms and a small bathroom inbetween, which you can see on the original floor plan below.

We will have our bedroom as the room on the left and the room on the right is being turned into a bathroom, along with getting ready space. The stairs come up between the two rooms and are now open plan to the space between and connecting the two rooms. The top of the stairs has had the old bathroom ripped out and we are making a window seat as there are beautiful views out over the front and back. We have have put in matching double doors on the left and right at the top of the stairs so that both the bedroom and bathroom can be closed off if needed for privacy but for 90% of the time, it feels like one large master suite. I have marked the new door positions as the blue lines on the pic below

(What will be the new bathroom looking from bedroom)...

(Looking from new bathroom back towards bedroom)...

(As you look across the house from new bathroom to bedroom)...

(Top of the stairs, excuse my hubby, they're the only pics I have on my phone!!)...

Our dilema is flooring and heating on this floor! We really want the space to feel as one, so want one continuous flooring across the two rooms and top of the stairs! This limits our options as the flooring therefore needs to be suitable for a bathroom! We we were thinking Karndean (or similar) but would also like UFH to avoid the need for radiators. Our dilema is if we install UFH it will increase the floor height as we'll need to screed it in. How would that work work with the top of the stairs? What would you do at the top step where the floor height is increased? Can you just make the step a bit higher? We will of course ask our builder but I wanted to get a bit of advice on options before discussing with him, so we're a bit more knowledgeable. Thanks in advance for any help. Claire

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.