colourwisedesign

Should we knock through from dining to kitchen?

CWD
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Just bought an Edwardian detached house. Husband wants to knock through from dining (marked Breakfast room in floor plan), but it's a lovely proportioned room for a dining room and I am more tempted to keep it separate from the kitchen. You have to walk through the dining to get to the kitchen and the kitchen isn't really big enough for a table, so the dining room will be used every day for dining. The existing dining room is going to be our guest bedroom, so ignore that on the floor plan.

We are moving the toilet room out of the kitchen and into the space under the stairs, with access from hallway. That opens up the kitchen to a decent size square space. Ideally I'd have large window at garden end of kitchen and cabinets on left and right walls only - see my drawing. But it's a little too wide to be a galley kitchen, but not wide enough to put an island or table in the middle. Plus there's four windows in the kitchen which are a pain to work around - might have to block two up if we did tall cabinets on the right side.

Ideally we'd just put in an efficient, cheap kitchen and not move any windows or doors as we hope to do a proper extension in a few years - once we've figured out what we need it to do.

So, I drew out my plan which I really quite like, but then I realized I didn't include a washing machine - eek! Trying to avoid a U-shaped kitchen, but it might have to be that. OR we knock through into the dining room and have a long room - but then where do I put the kitchen cabinets and appliances?? Could just put a peninsula where the wall currently is and that would give lower cabinets on kitchen side and counter seating on dining side....or is that a bit boring? Should we be focussing on keeping it all open to see through to the garden? Moving the dining area to the garden end??

Any ideas appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.