jscott001

What colour paint

jscott001
6 years ago
I painted this living room in a fairly neutral colour but it looks pretty bland. Can anyone advise what colour might bring the room to life. The sofa is red and gold and the floor terracotta tiles. The fireplace dominates the room and is grey stone. There are two windows so receives quite a bit of light and it has two wooden ceiling beams.

Comments (21)

• Mandy Ross
    6 years ago
    Is the rug staying because it looks like there's a lovely greeny blue colour in there that may work?
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Dulux do a colour called DH slate. It looks like a green with a grey quality and goes really well with brick, old wood and anything red. In my opinion this would make the room warm and sophisticated and I have used it in two different houses and love it
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm not sure about keeping rug as it looks a bit old fashioned might buy a sisal rug instead although open to suggestions. The room gets a lot of sun during the day.
  • Mandy Ross
    6 years ago
    I think the rug goes quite well with the style and fabric of the sofa
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Would you use the DH slate on all the walls?
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Yes - DH slate on every wall.
    But I would paint the ceiling, window recesses and the niche to the left of the fireplace in a soft white. I would also break up the walls with mirrors and pictures- gilt goes really well with this colour.
    I would also:-
    Seal the floor with Linseed oil and wax or a professional quality sealer.
    I would probably change the skirting boards for something deeper or add additional trim above it to give the illusion of deeper skirting.
    I would add a large, low hanging light fitting.
    I also think you need a bit more furniture- rich woods like mahogany, cherry and antique walnut will look great in this room as will anything with a taupe/grey painted finish.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow you are brilliant Jonathan, good job I've got a spare gift mirror and there are two upright chairs next to the sofa, these are a horrible rust colour but I was going to cover them once I knew what colour to paint the walls.
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

I agree with Jonathan. You have warm tiles, warm sofa, you should have some contrast in the walls with an undertone of green grey. I haven't tried DH slate but there are lots of colours that would work. I have used Farrow and Ball Shaded white and Mouses Back in my lounge with all woodwork Shadow white. There is also Portland Stone from Little Greene that goes well with these colours. I much prefer the idea of a sisal rug and you can of course get these in cool green/grey tones too. I would use natural linen at the windows and wrought iron poles. Gorgeous room.

• londoncottage
    6 years ago
    Definitely agree with a green grey type of colour - maybe try F&B Ball Green?
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Jonathan
    As you suggested a fabulous paint colour for my living room to continue a theme into my ante-room what colour would you use in there. I dislike the dark wood cupboards so will paint them. Also probably between the beams. Again there us the terracotta floor.
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Hmmm. Not sure. Can you show us more of the room please.
    I suspect that there are lots of doors and not much light. You have said that you are going to paint the cupboards but are the doors and beams staying wood?
    I am also a fan of a cohesive look so I would be interested if nearby rooms will influence choices in this room.
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Also - is there any chance the cupboards could be reworked? The top cupboards obscure the ceiling beams which is in my opinion the major feature of the room
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The room has one door leading to the outside, and the other into the room you suggested the slate paint colour. I can easily take down the cornice part of the cupboards they're rotten with woodworm anyway. The doors will stay the dark wood colour as we have them through the house, worse luck, me I would paint them white but I'm not allowed! And the terracotta floor has to stay.
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    Since this room has a heavily beamed ceiling and a smaller window I think it needs a lighter shade than the DH slate. Farrow and Ball have All White and Old white these have a green quality and look good with the wood and the floor. Both colours can be colour matched if you can't source F&B near you.
    Personally I would remove the top doors to the cabinets so that you are left with just the base doors and some shelves above. This will help see the beams and also help the room seem taller.
    If you can get it past the OH I would paint the beams or have them sand blasted and then paint the cupboards too.
    I would use the lighter colour on the ceiling between the beams and behind the shelves in the alcoves. I would probably paint the radiator and skirtings in the wall colour to make the room seem taller.
    Since it is probably not an original fire surround I would probably paint this in the ceiling colour- you could also paint the inside of the chimney recess in the DH slate.
    This is another room that needs a rug and a mirror- a round mirror above the fireplace would look fab- alternatively a floor standing mirror opposite the fireplace would be good as all the features are currently on one side of the room and this mirror would reflect them.
    Furniture wise a long cabinet or settle on the wall opposite the door will help the room seem wider.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Jonathan I need you here haha!Luckily I've got plenty of All White as I've painted one of the bedrooms in this colour. I tend to buy all my paint in the UK and bring it over, the same with wallpaper. Your DH Slate is on its way.
    Just remind me not to buy another house with dark floors, doors and ceilings etc.
    Thank you for all your help, I've just painted a sideboard which was originally dark wood so I'll hunt for something similar when I go to our local Emmaus.
  • jscott001
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m renovating a bungalow and replacing the white window frames with grey and installing large sliding doors. Can anyone recommend an exterior paint colour which will complement the windows. Thinking an off white. The front door will be a medium oak. I’m basing my ideas on this photo..
  • HU-976933525
    2 years ago

I am in the process of painting my room DH slate and I'm so glad I've come across this post ...as I'm midway painting and thinking what have I done .I defo need to up the game with some gilt !

• eleanorbob47
    last year

Sage green woukd look nice

• eleanorbob47
    last year

Or green smoke farrow and ball

• User
    last year

5 years late!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.