shelleyuk

Emergency home office help needed!! All hands on deck!

shelleyuk
10 years ago
Right, as of 5pm last night I became the owner of my own law firm. Not quite as grand as it sounds but you have to start somewhere!

Having always worked in a flash office building this is going to be a bit of a shock to the system. But this is the space I have to work with at the moment. It was once upon a time a child's playroom/occasional use office in the garden. We moved in and didn't need the space so have literally dumped junk in here for the past three years.

I will need to work from here all day every day so want it to be comfortable. For the short term at least I will need to keep the pistachio green and beech veneered office furniture that can be seen in some of the photos. There is also a chocolate brown (very boxy) sectional hidden in amongst the junk which I could probably use.

I am unlikely to have clients here (I will go to their premises) but might occasionally have my assistant here.

I'm also thinking about maybe a woodburner on the wall where the bookshelves are since we live in a wood and have a free wood supply. (Clearly this is a longer term thing)

Need to be doing this quickly since I am already swamped with work for this month (two big trials on) and if I work from the kitchen table I will end up losing stuff or finding a picture of buzz light year doodled on the back of client paperwork.

Help - clearly the bright paint splats and flowers need to go! Once I move the office equipment in and start working my husband will lose the motivation to help me decorate!

I need colour and other ideas.

Comments (64)

• apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    @ASVInteriors: Thanks, Antoinette. That makes a lot of sense. Responding to the needs of the client is key.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Progress being made!
  • Related Discussions

Fitting all my requirements into a single side extension! Help!

Q

Comments (20)
    Hello Jodie, Most welcome, I hope you saw my extension visuals too which give you a range of ideas and I like the transparency and style of the frames which lend to a feeling of open space.... The day beds are really gr8 in a room where it needs to be versatile so gr8 minds!.. The cream daybed is from ikea.. if you mean the second whiteish one with bolsters.. Something similar can be found at Loaf.. I do really like the Ikea one though as it's woven which is very nice texturally and has a really good aesthetic. and the last one which is my other favourite.. .. I think it would be rather good to have a shower element and so if not the wet room idea, you can still have something fantastic as a shower enclosure if you choose the enclosure wisely. Also you may be able to incorporate the architecture of the space in that you may be able to add a screen or something if the size fits for a walk in or other enclosed shower with single screen.. With regard to the extension you have.. you may be able to adapt it architecturally but if you like the idea of more glass then it might be better to replace altogether but of course dependent on what you choose and decide on an architectural level with the plans etc.. Budget a consideration etc.. You could though take out the existing windows and replace them with doors or bifold or sliding panels.. The arches internally are quite easy to convert to a squared off finish ie where they are situated such as the windows and doorways.. : ))
    ...See More

Help! House layout dilemma

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi Jophilip I've been pondering this all evening and this morning! I think to maximise the space and light you have to move the services (utility, wc) to the left hand side of the house. I would change the current downstairs bathroom to a cloakroom for all your storage needs. I would block off the wall in the sitting room to make this a more formal space to escape to in the evening. I think you would need to get rid of the wall on the right hand side and incorporate that narrow space into the kitchen. Then you can get the light into the middle of the house with velux windows. I'm just not sure with moving all that plumbing and the wall it would come within budget. Hopefully a pro will give some input, apologies for the crude drawing!
    ...See More

Help me decide on my internal layout once & for all!!

Q

Comments (64)
    Hi OnePlan hope you're well! I think the table needs to be centred to the doors. In our current dining room we have a sideboard just under a meter behind the dining table and I find it a pain getting past to go to the utility. At least in the Plan A that wouldn't be a problem though. The table we have is extendable so can be 132 x 92, 165 x 92 or 198 x 92. If we had just one leaf in 165 x 92 do you think it looks odd against the big island? 132 x 92 looks ridiculous. LOL.
    ...See More

home office inspo

Q

Comments (12)
    Currently planning my new home office (grown up child moved out & I've converted the bedroom so it can't come back!). It is 2.1 m x 2.3m & has to accommodate existing office furniture that we currently use elsewhere as budget is non-existent! I've used an offcut from the lounge carpet (green check with a cream & a red stripe) though you won't see much of that after furniture is in place & leftover paint from the hall in a particularly decadent red (matches the carpet) on the biggest free wall - I'm hoping it will inspire creativity & passion for my work! I will have a corner desk (1m x 1m on the right angle & 60cm 'depth') to hold a dual monitor & tower set up but also a straight extension off one edge of that (60cm deep x 1m long) which is in front of the window for when I use my laptop. I'm not in yet but hoping that covers all the options. The risk is to stuff it full cos I 'need' storage but I kept some large high-up wall cupboards from the bedroom suite & they take lots of stuff without taking up valuable floor space. In the space between the bottom of the cupboards & the desk is whiteboard & pin boards made to fit. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    So cute! love your little and not so little helpers!
  • kamilen
    10 years ago
    Hi Shelleyuk, congrats on your new venture!

Fully agree with @asv color advice and @apple_pie_order about removing everything you won't use. I would personally rather be 100% sure that what little I had in the office was representing me well, rather than facing nagging doubts about if something was up to scratch. It's only my opinion, but I often think of "dressing for the job you want instead of the one you have". Well, decorating for the office you want in this case!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    First coat of paint is on. Unfortunately even with decent paint I think it will take three coats because of the bright colours.

My three helpers have abandoned me for a cricket break. My five year old was naked painting at one point. Best builders bum you've ever seen!!!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Hi Shelley ! How exciting for you ! Congrats ! Big step ! Amongst the essentials might be an idea for a kettle, fridge and microwave ?! As if you intend to stay focused then a trip into the kitchen for a cuppa may end up loading the washing or unloading the dishwasher etc ! But if you go to your office to work and stay there - complete with your pack lunch or pot noodle (yuck!) you know what I mean - you are less likely to be distracted !
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Shelley, Congrats! New adventures! :)
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Rent a space in a storage facility and stash the excess for now. You have some good office essentials, and paint will be your best friend, but the sectional, big oak cabinet and the large dark boxy armoire need to go.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We failed. It all needs yet another coat. The green and blue in particular are so difficult to cover. So for tomorrow I shall be working from my dining room!!

It is getting there though and looks much much better already. Hopefully by Wednesday I will be ready to move in.

Thoughts on these? Too bland with the cream?
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Bright colored paint often needs a couple coats of primer and top coats, too. C'est la vie.

The white upholstery is not really compatible with visiting small children helping in the office. People often find lower arms are more comfortable on a chair; these require very tall visitors or people who scrunch their own arms in.

Try a somewhat patterned upholstery or slipcovered chairs instead. An Ikea Pong chair could be a good complement to your leather one if you choose a washable printed cover instead of a plain one. Or the dark leather ones are fine, too.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It would be a good compliment since the leather one we have is an Ikea poang chair too! There are actually two more in the boys playroom but they have plain green covers. They were left by the previous owners and so it is very possible that they were bought to match the pistachio office furniture.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Probably an Ektorp at IKEA in cream might work better for you - a little nicer and you can stretch out for a nap when it is all too much (or for important thinking time)

I say cream because you can use this as a very neutral base and then add throws and cushions for colour. Keep the base as simple as possible.
  • norris720
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    How about a large table for planning and files that you can lay flat on the table. Color will be a warm earth tone.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Nap time is a very important consideration Antoinette!! And I will need somewhere comfy to sit when I'm eating my pot noodle (yuck!)
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Now that the junk is out and the walls are (patchy) antique cream the room looks massive so I need to fill the space. The desk end will stay the same in terms of layout but the other end is now empty. I'm too cosy to go back out now and measure it but its about four metres square.
  • PRO
    Ingrid Porter Interiors, LLC
    10 years ago
    Congratulations on your big adventure! I work from my home and love it. The first thing I did was remove all items that are cluttering my mind on my big vision. Then I made a list of the positives. In your case the floors, the location, the size of the room and the view. Place your desk in a place that enables you to take advantage of the incredible view. Place the organizational pieces close to your desk, you will need them at a fingers touch. Add a large piece of art that inspires you. If you find a great piece of art, or have one already, draw the color for the walls from there. Lighting is essential to working into the night, which it sounds like you will be doing soon.
    Add a comfortable chair and a place for someone to join you for a chat if needed. That way you can divide the room into 2 sections and have a place to read. I also love to have a large table in the room to spread out.
    Paint the beams in white, all the trim in white like White Dove, throw down a pattered rug, cool toss pillows on the sofa and off to work you go.
  • kaymbeckett
    10 years ago
    Hi -I just did my own home office and I love it. I started with an inspiration- a picture of my grandad at his writing desk and the things flowed from there. i also sort of did some feng sheish sort of vibe-thinking about the comfort and energy flow from the client. I got nice energy efficient blinds and halogen track a a picture of my beloved dog and viola...it is my sanctuary! but maybe try an idea board like so many of the professionals say--and if you are on a budget then you can move towards you dream in bits
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rug?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Actually scrap that rug I don't even like it myself
  • joyful_lady
    10 years ago
    Save yourself a trip to the dump and put the brown sofa on either Craig's List free (at the curb) listing or Freecycle. Someone will want it.

It sounds like you have little ones at home. I worked from home as a single parent beginning when they were 4 & 5 and again from Jr high - high school and again now that they are out of college or finishing up college but still at home.

I will tell you from experience that teaching the little ones not to disturb you when working unless someone is "bleeding, unconscious or dead" is a must if you don't want continual interruptions. Everyone has to be trained. The kids but also neighbors and family who may assume that being home means "available."

I did take a 15 minute break in the afternoons when the kids came home from school when they were older, sort of a de-brief and also to learn if a teacher had sprung any last minute surprises on us that would require a trip to the store.

Create clear lines between your work and non-work times. It is really easy to work 14 hour days 7 days a week when working from home if you don't set your own boundaries. Trust me. There are more important things than working that much. The old song, "Cats in the craddle can serve as a good reminder."

Make your space comfortable. Make it feel the way you want it to. Buy or grow flowers for your desk (if you like flowers). I like to be warm so I put a beautiful electric fireplace in my home office.

Best of luck to you and congratulations.

Oh, and music. I find that being able to play relaxing music (like classical) low in the background is both calming and helps me think with greater clarity--to see subtlies that I miss when I am more wound up--and that it makes it easier for me to think of solutions.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. Keep them coming! I am definitely using the bleeding unconscious or dying line!

I am buying a mini fridge (so that I don't keep nipping into the kitchen for diet coke) and have a kettle /toaster etc. Will pinch a CD player and radio from the playroom. TV? Will it just be too big a distraction? I will pick up a couple of orchids today too.

I am definitely going to get a woodburner installed on the wall with the pine shelves. I'm working in the house today and its freezing so I'm kind of glad I'm not in the office yet. There are electric heaters in there but they are expensive to run and our wood supply is free (although there is of course the initial outlay for the woodburner itself). I think it should be about £1500 to install a burner.

I have started on the client work! I am allowing myself a short ten minute break every hour or so and so if you see me on here more frequently than that please shout at me and remind me that we cant live on beans on toast and love.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    Wow, amazing view! A TV is ok, just make sure you can hide it if a client visits.
    Suburban Jewel - Tones That Is! · More Info
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    I think I want to come and work in your office !!! How far away from Dorset are you ?! I could commute !!! Lovely breathtaking and totally distracting view ! I'm amazed you ever watch tv !!!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not sure the commute from Dorset to Sherwood forest would be much fun Oneplan. But I have a spare desk and so you're welcome to try it!

It's a lovely view but mowing the lawn is a mammoth task!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Evening sunshine is coming in through the office windows now. Lovely but showing up the patchy paintwork. I'm in court tomorrow and so working for another few hours at least tonight. Im not sure that too much painting is going to get done. Husband has come home and locked himself away to work too.

I knew this would happen. I'm going to have to have another blitz at the weekend. I am going shopping for supplies though tomorrow on my way back home so I will hopefully feel like some progress has been made.

Assuming I'm going to have to keep the beech and pistachio office furniture for now can anyone help with rug ideas? My natural tendency is to go neutral and boring.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    If everything is cream, go for texture like a silky shag pile carpet, so you can walk barefoot and still fel cosy. If you don't see something you love, go for cream. You will have a good base to introduce coloured accents later. Hi ho off to work you go!
  • onthefence
    10 years ago
    Congratulations on your new venture! A few thoughts from a fellow home office dweller...

TV - unless you're a GREAT multitasker, no. I do have a radio and have Pandora on a lot - but no TV for me.

Rug - for me, it needs to be anything that will disguise the occasional coffee slosh ;-)

Mini-fridge, kettle, toaster, etc - my own personal preference would be no. I NEED to get up and go to the kitchen/walk around periodically. IMO, when your office is too self contained it's too easy to spend more time in there at one stretch than you really should. At least that has been true for me. When I think about what it was like working in a separate office with others, I got up from time to time to go get coffee, go check in with a co-worker or some other quickie errand. I think of it as hitting the reset button on my brain.

Gotta love the world of business in bunny slippers!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Rug?

Two days in and I'm not keen on this self employed lark. I have no time left to Houzz!!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    love it - I can imagine lying on it with a hot chocolate and some legal briefs!
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Congrats on flying solo, Shelley of Sherwood!

My home office is my favorite spot in the house, in my case often with an actual bunny keeping my feet warm. (Although there probably won't be house rabbits here again for a while as my most recent Great Pyrenees rescue is abnormally dangerous.)

I'm incredulous at what you've accomplished in a few days. Surround yourself with inspiration. Enjoy the view, the dress code, and the possibilities!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Update pictures. We are not there yet but getting there. For the moment the brown sofa and cabinet are staying. Very unreasonably my husband is insisting I earn some money before I spend it!!
  • kamilen
    10 years ago
    Looks great @shelleyuk! Thanks for posting the progress & enjoy your new space!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Being in there this evening I have realised the lighting is really bad. I also need some roman blinds. Any suggestions on lighting and blinds (or anything else) are welcomed! I've got the neutral base and now I need to add the detail to make it look good.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    The home office looks fabulous. Good space, nicely arranged, good paint job. The sofa and rug will be good for visiting small fry.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Given that it looks pretty officey with the "not very nice but perfectly functional so its going to have to stay for now" office furniture, do you think I'm better going officey with the lighting etc or will it still work if I try to make it more homely?
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I anticipate I'm going to be spending a lot of time in here!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    hi ! I'd be tempted to add some green - purely because of your stunning location ?! scatter cushions and maybe picture frames ?!? nothing too bright - more olive green ish ?! Arty accessories too ? I find if I scour the likes of Ikea and Dwell I can usually find some bits I like - and if the colour isn't right - I grab some spray paint !! also helps disguise things too !! I think you know the basics - ie groups of odd numbers and not hanging pictures too high etc etc ?! it's looking good so far ! what a difference from the fun playroom before !!! very grown up now !!!
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've never heard of dwell Oneplan but have just quickly googled their website and there's one in Nottingham it appears so goodness knows how I've missed that. We also have ikea on 15 minutes away so definitely need a trip there. I think green would be good since the circular table and some of the cupboard fronts are a very pale green (not sure it shows too well on the photos ). My immediate thought was to then add a couple of bright pink splashes too but wondering whether that's too girlie. I maybe need a more sophisticated accent colour.
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also thinking of using this for the large wall behind the desk since its currently doing nothing in the attic and so is free!

Thoughts?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    Free is good will look interesting with a focus light on it too maybe ?!?! I echo your thoughts on the pink ... Maybe one cushion, on your chair only !! As you are a girl !! Dwell is full of interesting bits and bobs ! Think you'll enjoy a visit !!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    Good progress Shelley - yes, I think hanging this above your wall (pointing to all the various directions the law can lead you!)
    I would add grey (perhaps a green grey) to the room to anchor things down - you can go all textural with grey felt cushions, a grey wooly throw on the sofa.
    For the blinds - do you need them at night or in the day or both. You could always do panel curtains but would avoid roller or venetian blinds as it will be too office-y.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10702/

You have the advantage of the cross beam along which to run electric cables and hang some good pendant lights but as it is an office you might want to go cosy and add more table and floor lights instead.
  • PRO
    sinofaucet
    10 years ago
    Congratulations on your new law firm. your office's window could get much light. I think if you add a curtain across it, it'll be good. Here you'll find more ideas. Good luck.
    http://www.houzz.com/projects/42692/Kitchen-Tier---Cafe-Curtains
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Having sat here all day I have realised I definitely need art. The walls are looking very bare
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Hi shelley, missed you of late. Congratulations on your new enterprise, I hope it goes well for you. Just my tuppenceworth, I would bring the green from outside into the room (the fact that green is my fave colour has nothing to do with it) with a pale soft green on the walls. Rather than pink/pink, I love green with a plum or aubergine colour, what I call adult pinks. I think a neutral rug would really be more appropriate for the room, I was going to suggest a flokati but I really like the one you found above.

I very much agree with onthefence and keeping kitchen items and a TV out - although I would probably trade a mini bar for a mini fridge :). Taking those little breaks is important to clear the head and refresh yourself and if you are going to attend to a load of washing at the same time, well that is a benefit of working from home, you will probably have it on your mind anyway.

You have made a great start on the room, just painting the walls and tidying the clutter has done wonders. Sit back now, put a few naughty people where they belong and let the rest of the room "happen".
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 years ago
    Love the medallion for the wall behind you at the desk. (Of course I love it; I have one too.)
  • shelleyuk
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No new pictures to post since my husband has gone off to Dublin for the weekend to see the rugby but I am all moved in, files in place, new computer monitor.

Am going to ikea tomorrow to look for another cabinet, cushions and blind fabric.
  • Tim Price
    9 years ago
    I too work from home. The change took some to adjust to. Early on it was novel and I was smug that my 'commute' was only 15 seconds - bedroom to office. Over time I found I was not working so well as I was in an 'at home' frame of mind. I combated that to some extent as follows:
    1. Paint it to look and feel like an office - if not you gradually feel to much like you are at home and work suffers.
    2. Layout has to be practical first, looks count second. I see your desk and I think you are like me. Filing can be an issue. It is easy to end up with a desk buried under a foot of papers and that impacts your work and your mind. Have plenty of filing space - cabinets and/or shelving and ensure a fair amount of it is within a pace of your desk. Working from home means you will need to do most of the taking out and putting away, even if you do have an occasional assistant. Being able to do that within a simple turn from your chair means you can keep doing it. Once it is a chore to do, then suddenly it all piles up.
    3. Going to work in the morning - get up, walk out and then come back in to the office. It may sound strange but as a habit you then feel you are at work. I used to stumble down the stairs and into the office and then work didn't really happen properly - I wasn't in an 'at work' frame of mind. Commuting to work is a pain but it actually makes that distinction - I am now at work. For me, making sure I am dressed suitably to go to the gate and back helps with that frame of mind.
    4. Lighting - again, make it like at office - bright enough and no shadows.
    5. IT equipment. Make sure it has enough space. There is nothing as infuriating as fighting with a printer in a tight shelving unit when the inevitable paper jam/toner change crops up as you are rushing to complete something. Again, working from home means you will be in charge of all this too, so get it all installed correctly so that it all works without too much effort from you. Your time is better spent in your primary role, so IT needs to be there for you, not you for it.
    6. Drinks etc. For me I keep all that in the kitchen. This saves space and also makes me get up and stretch my legs from time to time. I don't have any young children anymore so there is no problem going and getting a drink - no break in the 'at work' mode. If you have young children at home this point may not work for you.
    7. Make sure family and friends understand that you are at work and not simply at home. There is a tendency for them to think you are at home and that they can thus disturb you any time. Working at home means flexibility but also lost time from distractions if not done carefully.
    Good luck with your new venture. Onwards and upwards!
  • Tim Price
    9 years ago
    The new office looks great and the view... Well, hard to work with such a view - who needs a TV with that outside the window? I would probably stare out of the window far too long everyday. Lovely. (Incidentally, don't fall foul of any TV licence rules - I'm hazy on the details but it looks like a separate building and is an office...). The white keeps it professional as well as being light and airy, making the place look bigger and fresh. The only thing I noted was that I didn't see much in the way of storage and I have noted that every legal office I have ever visited was bursting at the seams with files that have to be kept for many years for legal reasons. Some were very dreary as a result of files stacked high on tables, cabinets, even the floor all over. If you let it get cluttered with stacks of files you will soon feel like doing anything but working.
  • Jane Jones
    9 years ago
    I absolutely love your working space and so lucky to have it already in your garden. It's exactly what I need to run my business from which I currently have to do from my spare room with constant interruptions and having to clear paperwork away when someone comes round comes to stay!

Well done to you and the helpers, big and small and best of luck.
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.