personalplantshopper

Combining cultivation with aesthetics

Bob Mattei
6 years ago

A popular way of having an area to grow vegetables which also looks attractive is the creation of a potager. This will combine edible vegetable plants with ornamental varities as well as cut flowers. This works particularly well if you only have a small garden and you want to grow your own but want something pretty to look at.

In this garden in Beaconsfield, we incorporated vegetable plants like runner beans (which also look attractive!) , cabbages, courgettes and a covered area to keep the birds off. We surrounded the vegetable patch with Box and Lavender to give it a neat border (we now recommend Ilex crenata instead of Box due to current Buxus blight problems)

This garden also has a stylish glasshouse for propogating and starting off some vegetable plants. We set off its design and subtle colour with borders of white and green, featuring David Austin standard and floribunda roses and Lavender in front of this Alitex greenhouse.

In summary, potagers are a great way to have a garden which is both practical and beautiful. Plus if the summer continues like it has been, you will also be able to enjoy eating the fruits of your labour al fresco, like under the pergola in this garden.

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.