louisesnaps23

RSJ disaster in kitchen extension plan

louisesnaps23
6 years ago

So we are halfway (hopefully!!) through a side return extension and internal remodelling project. All going well, until we get home on Friday and I realise there's a whacking great big RSJ ploughing through the middle of what I had expected to be a lovely open corner vaulted ceiling space (poorly explained but basically the back and the side of the house with vaulted ceilings and the middle of the room with its standard lowered ceiling).

Looking at the plans now, whilst the roof has been designed to be vaulted (as opposed to flat), it appears the architect has assumed (!?) that the ceiling itself would be at one level with the rest of the room, instead of using the height of the new roof. Having discussed it verbally, it just appears that this isn't specified one way or another into the plans. The plans do however specify velux windows on another side....so it appears to factored in for one part of the room and not another.

My question is - what can we do with this RSJ? It can't be moved - it's literally the supporting steel for the back of the house - but I don't want a dropped ceiling and 5ft of lovely wasted eaves sitting there doing nothing when they could be helping our kitchen be brighter and lighter.

I'm considering:

a) doing two separate pitched ceilings - one to the side of the room, which will stop at the RSJ, and another to the back of the room, again stopping at the RSJ, with a square of lowered ceiling in the corner of the room, or

b) boxing the RSJ in but leaving the box otherwise exposed/running through the open space on its own. It would mean the corner vaulted ceiling would have the RSJ running through it, which we could potentially make a feature....perhaps have lights fitted into the boxing, or painting it a different colour.

Sorry if I'm not explaining this very well...the first picture shows the RSJ in situ, in red near the top left of the picture. Where daylight currently shows is where the ceilings are meant to be vaulted. The second picture shows approximate dimensions and where the beam would sit where it to be exposed.

Any ideas, thoughts?

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.