BORA induction hob with down draft

goetzi
18 July, 2017
last modified: 18 July, 2017

I am about to order the BORA basic induction hob with downdraft extractor. The basic comes in a cheaper, slightly smaller version with 4 separate cooking fields or the more expensive (+£1000!!!) and a bit wider surface induction where 2 cooking fields can be linked. Does anybody have experience ? Is it worth 1k to opt for the surface induction version?

many thanks

• melpotter95

Our kitchen extension is just being finished and the units are being fitted w/c 11 June so will let you know then

• Neto Sá
    Thanks a lot! :)
  • woocake
    @melpotter I’m really interested in the AEG one too but there’s not a lot of info for them even in the AEG brochure - unless I’m looking in the wrong place! Do you know if the one you’ve bought has the bridging zones function? Thanks.
  • melpotter95

Ours is eventually being fitted this week so will be able to give feedback at the weekend. I think it has a single bridging zone between 1 & 2 but if you send me your email address I will send you a PDF file with the users manual. I haven't read it yet as I prefer to work through it when I have the article in front of me.

• E D

Melpotter, can you say something about where the 'ducting' runs?

• woocake
    Thanks @melpotter. I have found the manuals on aeg website which I think are their latest. I was trying to work out what the difference between the two versions are. One which seems to be around £600 more expensive but looking at the details appears to do nothing different as far as I can tell. Would be great to hear your experience when fitted and also details on ducting. I was looking at buying from Germany - did you get yours from www-kuechen-centrum-de on ebay? Sorry for all the extra questions!!
  • melpotter95

The name on the receipt is Bielmeier Hausgeräte GmbH. There are a few on ebay at varying prices. The two different ones we looked at were the vented which we got and the recirculating one which is more expensive as it filters and recirculates the air back into the kitchen (designed more for an island) The hob comes with only a single piece of venting and you have to purchase more from AEG which is not cheep and will depend on where you are venting to. Ours cost an additional £120 but we were venting it out via a wall approx. 3 metres away

• melpotter95

The ducting can run anywhere you want it to. If you look on the AEG website they sell the ducting and there are many different options. The user manual also gives you some fitting options. Ours will go down the wall behind the unit to the floor. turn 90 degrees to run along under the floorboards, turn back up at 90 degrees to bring it back up from under the floor then 90 degrees and through the wall to the outside. Hope the makes sense?

PS The duct is about the size of a house brick and fairly stiff plastic.

• E D

Thanks for that melpotter!

Is anything known about possible reduction in venting power when needing more ducting length?

• James Smith

Hey all, if I am planning on putting the AEG hob in an island should I be looking at the recirculating one? Anyone got a model number for it? Thanks!

• melpotter95

My AEG hob was fitted yesterday and tried it out for the first time tonight. Works great and I think looks just as good.

I went for the vented outside option and even on half power it's more than enough and very quiet. The hob senses automatically what setting the downdraft should be on. The recirculating one designed for an island is only slightly more expensive. I can't fault it and at 1400 euros including shipping a lot cheaper than the Bora.

• melpotter95

Just teamed the hob up with these ovens which I can also highly recommend.

Still getting used to them but a fabulous bit of kit

• woocake
    Thanks for the feedback Mel, think I’m going to brave it and order the AEG hob too, fingers crossed!
  • melpotter95

Hope you are as fortunate as we were. Let me know how you get on.

PS As extra assurance we used PayPal to buy the hob then paid our PayPal with AMEX card.

When you get to the installation stage let me know and I can give you some advice on how to save money on the ducting kit.

• James Smith

Just bought one from Bielmeier, looking forward to installing it. Like the Zenith Caldera worktops as well Mel, we're looking at the Rouille ;-)

• melpotter95

You will find that the hob comes with one 90 degree duct but if you use the AEG stuff which you can purchase online from them it will cost you about £25 -£30 per piece. If you take that to a company near you that does ducting you will find that the Mega Duct kit is the same. The Mega duct won't fit on the piece supplied but will fit onto the hob itself and will cost less than half the price. Each piece of duct has to be sealed with silicone and tape.

I am very very happy with mine and so easy to use.

The work tops are great and have been well admired. Not easy for kitchen fitters to cut but well worth the effort

• dave hackett
    Hi Mel.
    So another few weeks later...you still happy with how it's performing. Both in terms of effective extraction of fumes smells and the induction side of things?
    Have you tried a large pan of any kind on it yet?
    Thanks.
  • melpotter95

Still working perfectly. Yes the bridge is on the left side of the hob and works perfectly also.

Cooked a kedgeree a week or so back using smoked haddock, with having an external exhaust it did smell fishy outside but not much if at all in the kitchen.

The fan settings are 1 - 9 and when on auto I haven't noticed it being set above 8 and even then only when you have two of the hobs on full blast and at least one other pan in use also. Usually 5 or 6 at most and it's quite quiet

Don't understand how, when you don't use a lid the fan is on one speed then you put the lid on and the fan level reduces automatically as I haven't seen any type of sensor for it to do that but it does.

• woocake
    Really good to hear all working well, sounds fab. Unfortunately I ordered from same place as you Mel and mine came damaged, it had a funny swirly mark in the glass of the hob area. They have dealt with well and just received refund today ☹️ At the time daren’t order a replacement but think I might try again in a few weeks - the cost saving is just too much to ignore especially when it works so well. Wish me luck!
  • melpotter95

Things do go wrong as in your case but I always think it's how the company deal with it that counts. Next time may be luckier but the Euro isn't quite as good as when we bought ours.

• HU-270809613190
    Hi.
    Apologies but I am new to this.
    I see the Bora today in a show kitchen and was impressed. Have you found somewhere online to import it from?

I will having my own team install it so looking for the cheapest price.
    Thanks
  • melpotter95

Not the Bora its too expensive.

I purchased the AEG version from a company in Germany (There are several on eBay) at almost half the cost of a Bora.

Luke BORA ASM London

HU - if you would like some advice or have some questions on BORA please drop me a message.

Luke BORA ASM London

Just following up on this. BORA are exhibiting at Grand Designs Live Birmingham Oct 10-14th 2019. We will have all of our systems on display & live - so you can see them in action & ask us all the questions you want. If anyone would like free tickets please message me.

.

• HU-969584555

Luke, I live near Edinburgh and looking to install Bora in my new kitchen planned for early 2019. I’m struggling to find stockists and a demonstration in my area. Can you help? Not sure whether to go for classic or professional 2.

Luke BORA ASM London

Hi HU - we have a dealer in Glasgow who has a Professinal 2.0 on display & a dealer in Edinburgh who has a Classic on display. If you send me a message I will reply with the contact details. Hope thats ok.

• ben_jf_thomas

Hi there- I bought a Bora Basic about 6 months ago. Not long after I got it I found a small chip on one side. I assumed that one of my children had dropped something heavy on it. But then two months ago I knocked over a vinegar bottle which hit the edge and it chipped again, this time much worse- about one cm square. So I then contacted Bora's customer service. They helpfully said that the 'local technical team' would be in touch to help. Nobody got in touch. So I went back to them. Over the last two months I have contacted them four times- they have responded quickly each time to say that someone will be in touch. And then nobody has. If you are looking for durability and customer service then I would strongly recommend not going for a Bora Basic. Particularly given that it is an expensive product- we really expected better.

Luke BORA ASM London

Hi Ben, please can you message me your contact details and I will get this resolved asap. Thanks.

• ben_jf_thomas

Thanks Luke. All sorted now and downdraft is very good. Ben

• ukdmshaw

Hi Luke, thanks for the link. Any truth in the classic getting a refresh in 2019?

Luke BORA ASM London

Hi ukdmshaw - can you drop me a message or email @ l.salter@bora.com

• Annabel Bacon
    Hi Luke, I really like the look and sound of the BORA hob, but need to see one demo'd asap to convince my husband before we buy neff/aeg etc instead. is there anywhere west of London that has them working so we can see? Thanks
  • no thanks

Hi,

can someone please tell me what happens if a pan boils over ( happens to us all, especially as induction hobs heat up so quickly! ) and the contents pour into the down-draught/pop up extractor? This really worries me, as these items are very expensive, and the thought of boiling water/hot oil/molten caramel etc etc, boiling over and pouring into it really put me off getting one.

• samanthathomas003
    Hello - I have a bora - if you’re not careful a pan will boil over and the water runs off the edge (and over the edge of the work surface) but I think this is the same for all the sleek induction hobs. I’ve got a separate plug in induction single hob (from ikea) which I use for messy jobs like caramel as I read that boiling sugar could damage the glass surface. I don’t do a lot of that kind of thing so not a big problem for me, but I’d think twice if I did because they aren’t cheap! I also wipe it down immediately if anything boils over - just in case. On the whole, I love it though. It’s incredibly quick to heat up so you just have to keep an eye on it.
  • samanthathomas003
    If water does get inside the extractor it sits in a plastic bit inside which you can wipe out once you turned it off and lifted the top off - only happened once in 6 months though.
    Luke BORA ASM London

no thanks - its no issue .....Up to 250 ml of liquid can collect in the cooktop extractor, where it can be easily wiped off. If more liquid runs into the cooktop extractor, this will not harm the electronics, as the airflow is directed outside of the electronics.

With BORA Basic, larger quantities of up to 3 litres of liquid can collect. The housing base can be removed for simple cleaning.

• no thanks

Hi, I have had an induction hob since 2007, so for 11 years now, and wouldn't have anything else, but even with all my induction experience, I can still get caught out and have something boil over. My concern is with the pop up or built in downdraught extractors and what would happen to it if hot liquid boiled over from a pan and poured into the extractor. Thanks for explaining that any water would sit in a plastic bit, but what if it where hot oil which would melt the plastic? I have had this conversation with sales staff in kitchen showrooms, and have had a demo of the items, but no one could answer my question sufficiently enough to make me consider buying one, love the idea and look of it, but still concerned it could be easily destroyed with just one boil over accident.

Luke BORA ASM London

Its absolutely no issue. We have been selling our systems for 11 years now & we have no problems what so ever. Infact all the systems I designed to deal with this exact scenario.

• E D

Luke, would the warranty cover an issue as described by @no thanks?

Luke BORA ASM London

E D -- Food , liquid, oils etc wont melt the plastic part of the extractor. However if it did - then yes the warranty will cover this -- but please be rest assured that the systems are designed to cope with any cooking spillage.

• no thanks

Thanks Luke, will definitely have a serious re think now following your assurance.

• Em Co
    Hi, what is the best UK branded cleaning spray for my BORA induction hob that we have just purchased.....?
    Luke BORA ASM London

Hi Em Co - start with fairy liquid & then use a glass cleaner (astonish is good brand) & wipe off using a micro fibre cloth. Astonish Pro Hob Shine and Sparkle is also very good.

• Annabel Bacon
    I just went to the London showroom last week to have a demo and understand the differences in induction hobs BORA sell, I definitely recommend going if you can, and if you have time for the full demo they also cook for you too! It was a great experience; Luke was friendly, approachable, knowledgeable and above all, not at all a pushy salesman, which is probably easy as the products sell themselves. I'm now convincing my husband we need to get one when we put our new kitchen in early next year and it's less about if we'll go for a BORA and more just deciding which one...I can't wait! :-)
  • Sam K

I went to the London showroom in December 2017 and was really impressed with the products. I also enjoyed a cooking demo as my main concern was cooking smells lingering in the open plan kitchen/ dining area. We have just finished our building project a month ago and I have had my bora basic installed on the island. I have to say I am really pleased with my choice. The extractor is so powerful that the smells just disappear. We opted to have the hob ducted out and not the recirculating system. This was definitely the right decision. Claudius and Luke were great and I would

recommend visiting them to get the specialist advice The best things about this product are no cooking hood to clean or obstruct your view when looking across the kitchen, easy to clean and very responsive in terms of increasing or decreasing the heat and a powerful extractor thats also easy to clean. Love it!

• Sam K

Also went for the flexi induction to zone two cooking surfaces together

• Hiral Patel
    Hey all, can anyone advise on the novy one? Is it good? Better then bora?
  • dave hackett
    @melpotter
    Thanks very much for your advice a few months back.
    My AEG hob arrived from Germany today.
    Differently to yourself, I've opted for the recirculating version.
    But had it bought and delivered from the same company that you used for an absolute bargain of €1474.90.

Won't actually be in use for several weeks yet, but jeez it's a gorgeous looking thing.
    I will have to pursue the ducting a little though as my duct plan is to veer it off to one side so that it doesn't blow out on my toes as the air exits the unit.
    Would you mind telling me a bit more about the mega duct stuff you mentioned before?
    Thanks a mill.
    Dave.
    Luke BORA ASM London

Hi , we have just released two brand new products. The BORA Pure https://www.bora.com/int/en/cooktop-extractor/bora-pure/ & the BORA Classic 2.0 https://www.bora.com/int/en/cooktop-extractor/bora-classic-20/ - use the links to have a look on our website. If you have any questions. Please message or drop me an email l.salter@bora.com