rachelmidlands

Pressure treated shed, treatment?

rachelmidlands
6 years ago
Hi all! First time I think I've posted a question on here but this has has got me really puzzled.

Ok so I've just bought a new shed (see pic) which is pressure treated. I would like to change the colour of it with either stain or paint and would like to do this before it gets built (building it ourselves) as when it does get built we won't be able to access the back with it going against a wall.
I've been scouring online for advice but it all seems to be conflicting. Some say leave it for 6-12 months as the timber will need to weather. Some say treat with sealer to protect from uv and water damage. I then look at sealers which are all clear which I don't want and are not specific regarding pressure treated timber or are for anti rot/mould/ fungus which I'm assuming a pressure treated timber is already treated for. So now I'm really confused.

Anyone have any ideas on how to treat new pressure treated wood preferably a stain or dark colour? Water based or oil based product?

Best product I've found so far is Seasonite by Owatrol which will protect the wood as it weathers for a year and can then be stained or painted, the problem is access.

I've also put the question out to 3 main brands for outdoor wood applications and I'm awaiting responses. Although I'm guessing they'll only recommend their own brand.

So if anyone has some impartial advice or experience I think myself and many others would really appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.