moiraford

timber v UPVC a coastal conundrum????

moiraford
6 years ago
Hello Houzzers, I know this is a frequent topic on here and I've read all the related posts , but I can't find a definitive answer to the upvc versus timber windows for an exposed coastal location. We are about to knock down our bungalow and build something New England in style. We want old fashioned sash windows. Are we best to go upvc where there are frequent winter storms and high winds or is timber ok? Any advice welcome

Comments (9)

• Daisy England
    6 years ago
    Hubby (a joiner) says have timber windows but use Accoya. It has a 50 year guarantee not to rot or warp. Costs more but does the job.
    I think timber windows look so much nicer than UPVC ones. They add some character to the property.
  • G Arnold
    6 years ago
    Go for aluminium, less bulky and still low maintenance.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hello Moira,

Please don't ever consider UPVC (or aluminium) wood be my personal recommendation. Also I wood not select multiple materials based on orientation to the elements.. They, the aforementioned might sound like a good idea but they will devalue your house considerably and detract from the character the house deserves.... It's not just about the value of the house of course but..

Good timber, glass and maintenance. Will stand you in good stead.. Your house wood thank you for it ! :))

• moiraford
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Many thanks everyone. Really helpful. No UPVC it is, that's settled that. We will look at your other suggestions.
  • PRO
    Wood Window Alliance
    6 years ago

Fully factory-finished softwood will do well - but make sure the manufacturer knows where the windows are going - they will need to use the best quality stainless. Worth considering Accoya, which will be even better.

• PRO
    Designer-Walls & More
    6 years ago

There is a surface made from Crushed Almonds and resin http://duralmond.com/en/producto/31 beautifully weatherproof, have a look at the site

• PRO
    Designer-Walls & More
    6 years ago

Crushed Almond Shells

• PRO
    Traditional Sash Windows
    6 years ago

I would second Daisy England, Aj interior Styling Ltd & The Wood Window Alliance

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.