jobridgwater

Advice on kitchen floor - clean and seal travertine(how?) or replace?

jobridgwater
6 years ago

kitchen (and cloakroom) in my new house (1870, solid construction) have been floored with travertine which is quite textured and I think hasn't been sealed.
Problems to solve:
1: keeping it clean - not great for hygiene as it can't be mopped thoroughly - will get a lot of (maybe muddy) traffic too, as door opens straight from garden - so can I clean it? How? And seal it? with what?
2. Is it unsuitable anyway? It looks great but doesn't fully extend to walls under the units (may change layout) - plus, I cook a lot and would prefer not to stand on stone.
3. If replacing it, should I float an (eg wood or perhaps lino) floor over it? Or will it have to come out?
4 Also, issues re breathability of floor and effect on solid walls
Any thoughts welcome! Budget is tight (lots to spend on rectifying wall problems (in-render, re-render in lime).

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.