sally_harrison68

Wall colour to go with light grey units

LTS
Hi. Am trying to find a wall colour to go with our light grey kitchen units. The left colour is Ammonite & the right is Strong White. The latter gives more of a contrast but do you think it is too similar a colour to the units? It's so hard when the colours change so much in different lights. The worktop will be white quartz (maybe marbly). Any help much appreciated as decorator starting tomorrow! BTW in the pics with 3 colour the right is Blackened which I'm not keen on. Thanks.

• LTS
    .
    MERRICK DESIGNS

from the above choice I would go with Strong White with your units. What colour is your unit? You could also try Cornforth White, or Skimming Stone, Purbeck Stone but not sure what colour your unit is so little tricky to give options without this colour

• Tani H-S
    Def strong white out of those as more contrast.
    I have strong white on a few walls and against white - it's not a huge difference, just softer.

Cornforth had more lilac tones in it (I have it on my doors) but I think it will just be too much. The paper the better with your units or, a much darker rich colour if it was against a feature wall ie charcoal.
  • LTS
    Hi I tried Cornforth white on the walls in the playroom. Cornforth is left, Ammonite middle & blackened right. Then I tried strong white as thought I needed a lighter colour. I do have a purbeck stone tester but wonder if it will be too dark as it was when I tried it before. The cabinets are a standard light grey from DIY kitchens.
  • minnie101

Hi LTS. Which way does the room face? What are the colours in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th pic from left to right? To me (on my screen) the unit colour seems to have a blue undertone and blackened works well (or in some lights anyway!)

• LTS
    The room is West facing, Minnie.

In the pics where there are 3 colours: L-R Ammonite, Strong White & Blackened.

Pics with 2 colours: L-R are Ammonite & String White.

Pic posted at 10:19: L-R is Cornforth White, Ammonite & Blackened.

The units looks quite greige in the room.
  • minnie101

I'm not keen on cornforth with the units and purbeck will be too dark. I must admit I can't see any pics with just 2 colours in?! I think a couple of the pics show blackened as working better and the others strong white! Both should work in your room. If you don't like blackened then strong white should work with both your worktop and floor (it is better to test against samples of everything but I guess you don't have that luxury). Plus if the units are greige (not with a blue undertones!) it will work really well. Why don't you try painting much bigger samples in different areas just to be sure. I'd probably go with 3 coats

• jacksplash

I think strong white could look nice with your units.

Studio Vie

Strong White certainly looks best from the photographs. However, we have used Ammonite in a grey kitchen that looks a similar colour to yours and it was beautiful. See our website (www.studioviedesign.com) or the Project called "Comtemporary-styled grey shaker kitchen" in our Houzz profile.

I would strongly recommend painting a sample on something that you can move around the room (e.g. a large piece of white card) as colours can change considerably in different locations.

Post a picture of the finished result. Good luck!

Rebecca

• Daisy England
    First picture and first colour. I too have dove grey doors and have grey on my walls with the exception of a feature wall.
    The second swatch in the first picture has green undertones.
  • LTS
    Just been told the Decorator has been to Johnsons to colour match Strong White so tomorrow I will be able to see properly if it goes well!! If. It will use it in the hall, stairs & landing & will try another colour! Thanks everyone for your fab help :)
  • minnie101

The kitchen is looking great! I'm glad you've finally got light too :)

OnePlan
    Yay !!! Lovely to see this coming together at last!
    It's going to look awesome !!! ;-)
  • LTS
    Thanks Karen! I really appreciate how patient you have been with me :) I can't wait until it's finished....
  • Carolina
    Beautiful looking kitchen :-) Good luck with finding the right wall colour.
  • Daisy England
    Johnstones paint is the best in my opinion. Great coverage and price. Wouldn't use anything else.
  • LTS
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Monica

Hi LTS, I came across this old thread and wondered what did you decide on in the end please? I am weighing up exactly the same dilemma and would love to hear from your experience. If you would have some photos as well, that would be the cherry on the top. Thank you :)

• LTS
    Hi Monica, I remember well the dilemma on paint colours! We went with strong white colour matched to Johnstones paint, it’s a nice calming colour that changes with the light...looks more grey in the mornings & lighter in the afternoons when the sun is at the back. Just an easy neutral!
  • Monica

LTS that's perfect thank you so much. Kitchen looks gorgeous <3

Annoyingly I just found out that they do not offer Light Grey anymore :(. Which is a pain as I picked up a sample of it last week from their showroom, but apparently it was a carcass sample and the light grey option is still there for those.

So I have now paid for some full doors samples, so I can make a better decision. Many thanks once again :)

• LTS
    last modified: 3 years ago

That is annoying! I read somewhere that the names have changed but the colours haven't. I’m sure the samples will arrive soon & then you can crack on with your kitchen. Very exciting!

• helen1131

Hi LTS - your kitchen looks gorgeous! Does your island have an L shaped contrasting wood bar? It’s something I’m considering and would hugely appreciate if you could please tell, or show, me how it’s ‘attached’?

• LTS
    Hi Helen yes the wood is glued on top of the quartz and then screws were screwed upwards from the tops of the cabinets underneath. Hope this pic helps but if not just ask :)
  • LTS
    Think Houzz is acting weird as it is not showing the correct photo but if you click on it it does!
  • helen1131

Thank you very much, that’s really helpful. So there must be a small change in height from the quartz to the wood? - I‘m thinking of doing mine that way but reckon it needs to be min. 45cms deep so crockery/glasses don’t get tipped off the back!

• LTS
    Yes the wood is 4cm thick. Good luck!
  • Jemma Smith
    last year

I am also considering the wall colour. kitchen units will be installed in 3 weeks or so and they will be pale grey with a navy blue island. builders also recommending Johnstone’s paint but I wanted something other that white everywhere so thinking strong white walls and plain white ceilings. do you have a finished photo? Thank you

phots attached are current empty room and CAD drawing of the ‘to be‘ design

• Jemma Smith
    last year

Can I also ask what colour goes on the woodwork such a skirting and door frames?

• LTS
    last year

Hi Jemma if you scroll up I posted a few photos to Monica. Here’s one of them. Good luck!

• Jemma Smith
    last year

Oh thank you so much

• LTS
    last year

No problem at all! It’s head banging stuff decongest wall colours!! I do really like the strong white...am thinking of using it in our en-suite. We colour matched it to Johnsons paint.

• LTS
    last year
    • deciding not decongest