briarproperty

Changes to a rental house

briarproperty
6 years ago

We are in the process of buying this 4 bedroom house to rent out, the house itself is in good condition with a fairly new kitchen, we are just going to do the usual changes, paint the rooms, new carpets, new bathroom suite. The bathroom is a fairly big room, would you suggest putting a shower and a bath in or keep it as a bath with a shower over the top, what standard of bathroom suite would you expect?

would you also keep the house layout the same? I was considering putting a stud wall in the sitting/dining room to create a hallway to the stairs.

Any suggestions welcome

Comments (29)

• A S
    6 years ago
    Hi,

As it is a rental property, I'm not sure what changes you can make and whether your landlord will allow such things...Here are a few ideas you could consider (or ignore,if not viable):

Make the current living room or sitting/dining room... this ensures ease of flow as it doesn't require you carrying pots/plates/glasses etc to the front of the house... You'd also get a nice view to what I presume would be your back yard through the double doors.

If you can make structural changes,maybe knocking the wall between the kitchen and living (check if stud or load bearing) to create a more open, sociable place...but you may want a more private kitchen in which case this idea wouldnt be suitable.

is the small space in the upstairs bathroom used for storage? This could be an ideal place for a shower if you are consider installing one.

However, if this space houses something else, I'm not sure you have enough room fora shower unless you swap the bathtub for s shorter tub which I dont think is comfortable.

You have 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor and no washroom/shower room. I'd find it about of a trek especially in the night to come down to use the bathroom. As it's a four bedroom property, I'd consider, If possible, having a small washroom/shower room.

It needn't be large, a space as small as 1.5m*1.8m is large enough for enough shower space and walk room.

These are just a few suggestions you can consider.

All the best
    briarproperty thanked A S
  • briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi A S, we are buying the property so we are the landlords, The layout of the bathroom doesn't have to stay the same, the cupboard in the bathroom currently houses the cyclinder for the heating, this is getting removed so will have a look at making this a shower, I was thinking about putting a bathroom on the second floor but wasn't sure where about it could go.

Thankyou for your comments

• Related Discussions

POLL: Do you change your home according to the seasons?

Q

Comments (44)
    Yes, absolutely. It's great to add small changes in your home, even if it is changing the flowers in the room to daffodils for the spring time or putting a pop of colour with cushions for the sofa, a small change can make the difference in any room. Decorating for the seasonal festive i.e. Halloween or Christmas is also a big part of showing your unique style in how you decorate.
    ...See More

Help to change the front of my ugly 80's (infill) house?

Q

Comments (31)
    Hi Malley. Thank you for asking my advice! For what it's worth here goes; I agree with you that no extension of the front window is needed, the oak framed porch with A frame exposed, extending further out as per celery girls input with wisteria and box plants looks great. Regarding colour, I'm afraid I disagree about the brown windows, to me they scream 80's developer taste and are very dating and clash with the red. If you are going to go to the expense of replacing the windows to enlarge the apertures I would consider grey or grey/green grey/blue, these will all tone nicely with the red brick, white would be too harsh. Love the idea of the juliette window BTW. Do a search in Houzz for red bricks and grey windows, you will get a lot of images to think about. I'm not sure I agree that adding solar panels to the roof will be an improvement, yes they will break up those tiles, but they are not a thing of beauty are they, could they be on the rear instead? If budget did allow, after you have done your extension, windows etc I would look into the cost of replacing those roof tiles with slate as again I think they are dating, but agree with Daisy that it would probably be expensive and would not increase value on the house. Best of luck!
    ...See More

i want draft for rental house

Q

Comments (1)
    Sounds like you need an architect. Have a look at the Find a Pro section here on Houzz for architects in your area.
    ...See More

Investment in Home Rental Space

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi there, an easy maintenance carpet is best when renting to ensure you’re not renewing every time a tenant leaves/moves in. Cormar offers an easy clean collection of carpets – including Apollo Elite, Apollo Plus, the Primo range (Primo Plus, Primo Choice and Primo Ultra) and the super luxurious Sensation range (Sensation Original, Sensation New Feeling, Sensation Heathers and Sensation Twist) – all of which are dirt and stain resistant and bleach cleanable. Perfect for young couples, families or pet-friendly homes, they are made with an easy clean polypropylene fibre and come in a wide range of fashionable colours to suit various decorating schemes. See more at https://www.cormarcarpets.co.uk/ranges/inspiration/
    ...See More
  • A S
    6 years ago
    Silly me, didn't even read the first sentence properly.

A separate shower is always nice. There's no measurements on the plan, so can't tell, but it should be big enough if it housed a cylinder. You at least want an 800 wide shower.

With regards to a shower on the upper level, what's the space like between the two rooms, behind the stairs. it's not an ideal location but atleast there's one there, even if it only serves as an ensuite.
  • A S
    6 years ago
    The windows in each of the bedroom are fairly large so I wouldn't know where else an ideal position could be, I'm sure a pro will be be able to offer a more appropriate suggestion
  • briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm afraid we dont have the keys at the moment so I'm just working off the estate agents plans and memory, I believe there will be enough room between the 2 rooms on the second floor, could possibly do a jack and jill ensuite, Thank you for your time and comments

• Jonathan
    6 years ago
    You need to get the advice of a local rental agent about how much extra the improvements will add to the expected income.
    I would imagine that an extra WC is important in a 4 bedroomed house but I suspect it doesn't have to be on the top floor and it may be easier and cheaper to have it next to your existing bathroom. Before you spend any money on a rental house you must ask yourself if you will see a return on it.
    An example is changing the layout of the bathroom- it is cheaper to leave everything in the existing position and put a shower over the bath. For the same reason you shouldn't take out the cylinder cupboard- perhaps put the washing machine in there.
    A friend of mine has all existing carpets cleaned and often concludes a replacement is not necessary. I also don't think that the hallway hear the front door is necessary either.
    I think by reigning in ambition you can save money.... I suspect these suggestions will save £2k which is probably a few months worth of rent.
    briarproperty thanked Jonathan
  • briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Jonathan, I have spoken to our local rental and they have suggested an extra bathroom would help with gaining a higher rent, its just where to put it (Thank you for the drawing)

The carpets are beyond the cleaning stage-some are not even fastened down the rooms.

• Misha M
    6 years ago
    Hi briarproperty,

Agree w AS comment on swapping sitting and dining room.

Also think your suggestion of creating a hallway downstairs is spot on. Walking straight into a room from the front door is not great and lets out heat.
    briarproperty thanked Misha M
  • Jonathan
    6 years ago
    The corridor is unnecessary expense and will make the front room smaller. There are lots of houses like this and people live very happily in them without a hallway. The only reason to separate this room is if you are considering making this a HMO in which case you would likely make different decisions about bathrooms likely building one behind the kitchen and putting an ensuite into at least one of the bedrooms.
    briarproperty thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    Jon Clayton MCIAT
    6 years ago

Hi. As this is going to be a rental property I'd suggest focusing on this property being low maintenance and don't go too high spec on the finish (unless advised otherwise by a local letting agent who knows the local rental market). I wouldn't bother installing the stud wall downstairs, it seems unnecessary. I'd stick with a good quality but simple white 3-piece bathroom suite with a shower over the bath (shower trays can easily overflow if the plug get's blocked up and flow is restricted). Worth considering an electric shower over the bath with it being a rental property. This way if there is every a problem with the boiler your tenant can still get a warm shower whilst they await the repair. Fit the bathroom fittings in the same locations to keep plumbing work/cost to a minimum. Regarding the addition of a 2nd bathroom or ensuite; I'd suggest asking your agent how much extra rent could realistically be achieved. You can then compare the cost of the bathroom installation against the increased rental yield and work out how long it will take to get a return on the investment and decide if its worthwhile. Also ask local estate agents if it would add any value to the property. If the property is being purchased via a mortgage and you add value you may be able to recover the money spent on the renovation work via a remortgage in the future, assuming value has been added. You'd need to speak to a mortgage broker about this though.

briarproperty thanked Jon Clayton MCIAT
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

We own one similar in layout. Obviously dimensions would help a lot. You have two choices downstairs, open out or swap the rooms over, plus build a porch.

The kitchen and dining room are usually together. The living room is usually at the front.

Yes, I agree the extra bathroom is necessary with four beds.

We did this with ours and built a porch, but you could keep the wall up between lounge and dining room The dining room looks large, so maybe a coat cupboard under the stairs?.:-

briarproperty thanked User
  • A B
    6 years ago

Who are likely to live in the property? Assuming a family I would be tempted to turn the kitchen into a utility room/shower room. Thus also giving them a downstairs WC which is a huge bonus. Move the kitchen into the back sitting room to make it a kitchen diner. Also a big plus. Beware of electric showers in rental properties- they are great, but very expensive to fix and break frequently!

briarproperty thanked A B
  • briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the comments, there is a lot to think about.

Once we get the keys we will look at the layouts in more details with dimensions. We don't want to turn the building into a HMO as there isnt the need for it where the property is so we are haoping a family will move in.

We were going to paint the walls either white/magnolia or a grey colour and tell the tenants they can decorate the rooms aslong as they put it put when they move out, but after speaking to some people they have told us not to even paint the rooms. I am concious that the front room is bright blue, the back room is bright purple, the bathroom is purple and green , one of the bedrooms is bright red etc and worried people won't be able to see past this when viewing it.

any advice is welcome!

• minnie101
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I would definitely paint everywhere, many people find it hard to visualise how a house could look and if the decor is tired it may suggest an unmaintained house. We used neutrals so the lease doesn't allow for the tenants to paint without permission. I'd probably avoid magnolia as it's a bit of a marmite colour and typically associated with rentals but choose a limited palette based on the rooms orientation and just use one colour for ceilings and one for woodwork. Opt for scrubbable paint too. Personally I might consider luxury vinyl tile (wood effect) for downstairs, they're a bit dearer however great for spillages and fairly bullet proof which may be good if you have tenants who aren't quite as careful. We spent about 5k on a bathroom which included installation (£1900?) but it doesn't have a shower. We also kept the existing layout. We opted for metro tiles ( as few as possible to limit costs) as they're inoffensive to most. I wouldn't scrimp on taps too much, cheap ones never last in my experience. I wouldn't put up the hall wall and like Jonathan's suggestion for a shower room

briarproperty thanked minnie101
  • nessyquinche
    6 years ago
    Do you have any possibility of tucking a little toilet and washbasin in under the stairs on the ground floor?
    I would't spend too much money on a rental for layout improvements (stud wall). Instead focus on decent and hard wearing fittings and appliances. The people renting from you will thank you for it. I rented for many years and there is nothing more frustrating than kitchen appliances that fall apart, bathroom tiles that fall off walls etc. (and landlords that never send someone around to fix things...)
  • briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Minnie,

I was hoping someone would back me up with wanting to paint the house, there are a few feature walls downstairs which i was thinking of keeping as they are a fairly nice flower wallpaper. I agree with the magnolia, I personally don't like it.

Luckily the previous owners had a new wood effect flooring through the ground floor and in the one of the bedrooms, would you go for Tiles for the bathroom floor? or vinyl?

• briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi nessyquinche i believe we have got the headroom under the stairs, I hadn't thought about putting a toilet there, will look if it is possible, thank you

• minnie101
    6 years ago

This shouldn't be relevant for you but check the lease agreement carefully. I had a real battle with the managing agent to only allow tenants to put up wall fittings with our permission (they deemed this unreasonable) . However I'm so glad I persisted as the tenants put up a shower rail and used the non-shower bath with just a foot of metro tiles as a shower. As you can imagine the painted wall hasn't fared that well and as it's a breach of the agreement they're responsible

briarproperty thanked minnie101
  • A S
    6 years ago
    Hi,

I'd paint everything in a light grey, it's a lovely colour to work with as it co-ordinates well with other colours more so than creams I. my opinion and doesn't look as stark and cold as brilliant white.

I'd go for vinyl in the bathroom as well, just make sure it's fitted properly to ensure water doesn't seep through and uplift the flooring. If you want something on a roll which is extremely hard wearing consider polyflor. It's pricy but its resiliant and lasts a long time so.long it's fitted correctly.
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

Perhaps post pictures of the feature walls for general comment? We left a wallpaper wall in one of the bedrooms as it wasn't offensive. I also added a very inoffensive wallpaper at the top of the stairs as it was narrow like yours to draw the eye up rather than focus on the walls. Good news on the wood floor! We went for vinyl wood effect on the bathroom floor as it was cheap to buy and install.

• briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I will bear this in mind Minnie101, thank you.

I will start looking at differnt vinyl flooring.

Thank you everyone!

• briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

These are off the estate agents website, so not very clear

• PRO
    Cormar Carpets
    6 years ago

Hi
    there, for the carpet we’d suggest you opt for an easy maintenance carpet to
    ensure you’re not renewing every time a tenant leaves/moves in. We offer a
    collection of easy-clean carpets that are all dirt and stain resistant and
    bleach cleanable. Perfect for young couples or families, they’re made with an
    easy clean polypropylene fibre and come in a wide range of fashionable greys
    and neutrals and start from a reasonable £17 per sq m. You can see the
    collection here http://www.cormarcarpets.co.uk/types_easy_clean.php.

• briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Some slightly bigger pictures

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Dulux Dusted Moss 3 ia a great colour. It goes nice with wooden floors it's kind of on the grey scale, very muted with almost a touch of sage green. Being Dulux of course you can buy Matt, Satin, Satinwood, Gloss etc for all your needs, and have everything the same as Minnie suggested.

Don't bother with feature walls, it's a waste of time and money and plain's better for tenants. After all, if you're happy for them to decorate ( which I personally would not advise ), then why bother.

All our rentals have plain colour schemes throughout. No painting, no wallpapering, no afixing anything to walls etc. - If you allow decorating, be prepared for some possible horrors. Our Tenancies say, 'ask first'.

• Rosie G
    6 years ago
    I'm both a landlord and a renter. Our recitals are both painted in neutral colours and our home is a nice neutral creamy colour - it makes it easy for us to touch up walls if we need to.

Be careful allowing tenants to paint bedrooms. It's absolutely fine to say yes to that once you've got some idea of them as tenants - but we once had a tenant allow her teenage son paint his bedroom black!!! To be fair, she did put it right at the end of the tenancy, but stil....
    briarproperty thanked Rosie G
  • briarproperty
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you all. I was thinking of just keeping the feature walls that are all ready there. which are the pictures above.
    I will add something in the agreement that they have to ask first before painting.
    it's all going to be unfinished apart from the washer machine that the previous owners have left us.
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

I'd say wallpaper goes ( i'd be getting rid of the fake brick too, but that's just me ).

Not amending stuff etc should be in a standard tenancy. Always get that done and the vetting professionally - just don't go for their collecting the rent and overseeing it etc - We use estate agents to find our tenants, then collect the rents and do the maintenance ourselves.

Far more important than a wallpaper issue. let's face it.,

briarproperty thanked User
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.