ben_callis

Oak and white Kitchen wall and floor help

Ben
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have been planning our kitchen on and off for the last several weeks and we have finally nailed down the layout, worktops and cupboards. We are now thinking about wall tiles, flooring and also wall paint colour.

The layout of the kitchen will be as below. We have decided on a oak butcher block worktop and white Savedal doors from IKEA (ignore the grey fronts in the design we are waiting for updated 3D renderings).

Savedal Ikea door fronts:

We like white metro tiles from the wall and splash back but feel white cabinet fronts and tiles may be a bit plain (too much white perhaps?) and have started exploring other colour options. We have been considering grey (again maybe a bit boring?) or perhaps a more bold colour such as these glass green tiles:

Regarding flooring we were initially thinking of a dark grey/black slate effect ceramic tile or LVT. However, a lot of kitchen with wood countertops tend to go for a wooden floor so we are open to this idea if it generally goes better. We have requested a sample in this ceramic wood tile:

The kitchen is north facing so does not get direct sunlight. It is a tenement flat built around 1900 with 3.1m high ceilings and very tall windows so it still gets a fair amount of light considering there is just one north facing window.

In the hallway we have exposed original wood floorboards stained with a walnut colour stain. We were initially concerned that going from real wood flooring in the hall to a ceramic wood tile or LVT may be very noticeable.

For wall colour we are thinking something fairly natural to try and keep the room light. Perhaps white or a warm light grey (e.g Farrow and Ball Elephants breath).

For more information about how the kitchen currently looks and the design planning process see [https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/5m-by-35m-kitchen-design-help-dsvw-vd~4664342[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/5m-by-35m-kitchen-design-help-dsvw-vd~4664342)

Any help on tiles, flooring and wall colour would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (30)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.