ben_callis

Accent colour and soft furnishings for grey victorian lounge

Ben
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We have recently had our south facing lounge painted in farrow and ball skimming stone with a slightly lighter grey above the picture rail. All cornicing and ceiling is in a pure white. Since painting we have slowly been buying furniture for the room and are in a state now where we have most to the major furniture items.

We have an original fireplace with red tiles and a cream/green flower.

In the centre of the room we have a very large rug (Safavieh "Kate" Shag Rug, Ivory/Grey, 243 x 304 cm) in the centre of the room and a bespoke wood coffee table.

To the left of the fire we have a Ikea reading armchair and footstool in grey. To the right of the fire we currently don't have much. We are considering putting a small sideboard here and a wood tripod light.

Between the two doors (one is where you enter the other is to a large storage cupboard) we have the TV and speakers (these have to stay :) ).

Our sofa is a very large La-z-boy Ava in Coffee leather (it is kind of a dark tan colour but can look brighter in daylight). We are happy with the sofa it is extremely comfortable but it is definitely a case of comfort over style. We are hoping we can soften it and make it fit in better with additional cushions and perhaps throws but are not sure on what colour to go for? We have considered matching the red in the fireplace but are not overly keen on brown and red. Perhaps green could work (part of the flowers in the fire are green)?

Aside from cushions we need to get some art work on our walls. We are perhaps thinking of a gallery wall behind the sofa but are not really sure what pictures to put in (we don't have kids so probably wouldn't be pictures of people).

We are looking forward to hearing any suggestions you have.

Comments (29)

• Misha M
    6 years ago
    Hello again Ben. What a beautifully proportioned room! Lots of potential here based on your paint colours and grey armchair. Suggestions:

1. Consider building a large shelving unit which holds the TV....with art in all other shelves so the TV doesn't dominate. Your speakers on custom made units could look quite arty!

2. Shelf behind sofa opp fireplace with lots of art (see photo).

3. I would avoid both green and red...your room looks lovely and light and I fear dark green or red would spoil this. I would continue with more conviction what you've already started...black/white/dogtooth pattern. Would you consider metallics...hints of gold on your sofas?

4. To the right of the fireplace, a sideboard...but a stand out piece that sings not blends in and on top of this, a lamp and curated accessories in metallics again?

Pics to illustrate....
  • Misha M
    6 years ago
    Ideas of colours and metallics and art:
  • Related Discussions

Lounge, Diner complete colour change

Q

Comments (1)
    Mustard is a great colour (similar to the brass tacks on the sofa!). I would have suggested it either side of the fireplace but it won't contrast with the wood cabinet the tv stands on. Blue, violet or green will make the wood colour really 'pop'.
    ...See More

victorian living room - what colours? GREEN OR RED?

Q

Comments (19)
    I'm surprised that none of the previous comments have asked about your furnishings and upholstery. Nor have they inquired about your preferred style of furnishing, contemporary, modern or traditional. What is the overall effect you want to achieve? What kind of light does the room get through the day? When is the room used most often and by whom? What activities take place in the room on a day to day basis? What does the furniture look like? Once you establish that, only then can you begin to decide on the colour scheme. Red may be cozy, but, depending on the shade, it can also be stimulating, even raising your heartbeat and body temperature. That's why it's often used in dining rooms and restaurants (to make you eat more). If you want a restful room, think about using a different shade of green or a blue-grey or blue. They will be more relaxing. The images provided by Jen Tindall use gold and will be warm and uplifting either by day or night. At night, the room will be suffused with a lovely mellow glow, especially if your lighting relies on table lamps with soft shades. I recommend reading a book by Angela Wright on colour. You'll find lots of useful information to guide you. It's a lovely room, with wonderful architectural features. My only suggestion is perhaps to add a corbel at each end of the arch if there is space. This will make it look less like a later alteration to what would have most likely been a dividing wall between 2 smaller rooms. Enjoy the process of designing the lounge and don't rush decisions.
    ...See More

Inspiration needed for Victorian Lounge - paint colours

Q

Comments (11)
    Hello Melissa, Oooh Lovely! Lucky you! For colours I'd suggest chalky matt for walls. Either keeping it light with stone and light greys... OR going to darks......For the ceiling Whitening by Little Greene works beautifully... Then pick out all the wood work - This can either be light or it can be dark and contrasting to compliment the wall colours.. Do the section between picture rail and cornice the same as the ceiling and then do a flat eggshell on the woodwork.. I actually mix my own paint to get a flat chalky finish here too on all my woodwork. I have not done the floor like this as it has quite a lot of traffic..and I have moved things round.. Hope you have floorboards underneath.. Would you consider painting these too?... Works beautifully actually and also darker colours to compliment the walls... You could also paint the doors a really fabulous chalky charcoal and add some brassy and glass handles.. Is there a fireplace? Would be lovely to get a look at that too... Then consider some fantastic modern furnishings... A few ideas below... : ))
    ...See More

Teal & Grey Colour Scheme For Lounge Help Needed

Q

Comments (30)
    Just did an on-line search for "grey and teal and living room", and this thread came up. Love your ideas, and the advice you received. How did your room turn out? Can you post some pics? (I'd like to do something similar in our new rear extension which is approaching the fun decoration time).
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago

• PRO
  • PRO
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    Declutter fire place remove all small bits and add art work with a bit of blue and gentle orange in it and do the same for cushions, statement light would do magic for the room. You could use gold accents to make it more glamorous or large white lamps , plant pots, just stay away from lots of small decorations. Go big you have a great room.
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    Some ideas
    Ben thanked KK1000
  • KK1000
    6 years ago
    Some artwork ideas
  • Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Misha M - Thank you for taking the time to reply to this post!

1. I’m sure the would be a good idea in the long run. When/if we change the tv cabinet we will definitely consider this.

2. We have seen a lot of pictures with these art shelves and really like them. How do you think it would work with the picture rail. Could it feel too squashed? Also how far do these used stick out from the wall. The sofa recline so we don’t want to be banging any heads :)

3. Hints of gold would work for me. We were thinking to either get some gold or silver things for the coffee table etc. Do you feel gold would work best in this room. What sort of gold hints could we put on the sofa?

4. Sideboard sounds great. Do you have any examples of stand out pieces that could work well there?

Celerygril - Thanks for taking the time to add things to our pictures. It really help visualise how it would look in the space. If you don’t mind me asking what tool do you use to do this?

We really like the 2 rows of pictures behind the TV. We feel it makes the TV less of a focus. Do you thin trying to get tow rows in will be too cramped, making the pictures quite small? I will measure up this evening.

Also like the example of 2 pictures or large picture behind the sofa. We will see if we can find anything we like in similar colours.

oskuee - The first cushion you shared is lovely. Where is that from? Good point about a statement light. I think a large gold one like you suggest would be amazing.

Could we mix white and gold or would you suggest just going for one?

• KK1000
    6 years ago

I am in Australia so it's hard to advise but try searching by image. Good luck, will have a look again..

• KK1000
    6 years ago

This is a google search page

• Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

I wonder if the strong contrast between the sofa and wall and TV unit and wall is a good thing? If you were to paint these two walls a much stronger darker colour that relates (such as Charleston Gray or London Clay) the sofa and TV would blend in. French Connection do these gorgeous cushions that would tie in with your rug (I have them and can vouch for the quality).

https://www.frenchconnection.com/product/homeware-collection-cushions/8b5d2/woven-skyline-cushion.htm

I paired Skimming Stone with a strong bronze green in my kitchen and it works well. The violet undertone of the Skimming Stone complement colours with a yellow/green bias.

Ben thanked Juliet Docherty
  • twamleyk
    6 years ago

Hi, Looking good. I think those cushions from French connection cushions would definitely work - I was just about to link to them! They don't introduce new colours and work with your rug.

• Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Managed to find the cushions Oskuee found. Seems to be an old John Lewis Fabric. They do it with a citrine or orange shade as above.

Perhaps the citrine colour would go well with other gold or perhaps brass accessories?

Or I can also find the odd few on eBay in the colour you originally showed.

Would these worth with the cushions from french connection? How many cushions would be a good number for the sofa(s)?

I think it may be hard for us to get a large enough piece of artwork to fit above the sofa with our budget so a few framed pictures may be what we have to go for.

• twamleyk
    6 years ago

No, they wouldn't go with the ones from french connection, very different style. I also don't think the yellow citron would go with brass etc, but in general I think they clash too much with what you have - a quite masculine room.

It's difficult to suggest art, I think. Mapiful do really nice maps, which might look nice. I also really like the palm tree prints in French Connection (I swear I don't have shares!), which you can see here:

https://www.frenchconnection.com/category/homeware-collection-wall-art/wall-art.htm

Graham and Green also have some really nice prints and other quirky wall art:

https://www.grahamandgreen.co.uk/prints-wall-art

K

Ben thanked twamleyk
  • Ben
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Any suggestions of what we could pair up with the french connection cushions?

I agree it's currently a masculine room (I guess I have picked out more of the items rather than partner). I'm sure she'd appreciate any suggestions to add some feminine touches to it.

Getting several black and white pictures for a picture rail should be fairly straight forward. Much easier than picking coloured art anyway :)

We quite like some of the word art prints you see maybe we could position one or two of these in the room somewhere?

• twamleyk
    6 years ago

Hi, 'masculine room' doesn't mean women won't like it or that it needs 'femininity' in my opinion. But you could add a vase of flowers, more plants and some coffee table art / flower books. Why have more cushions than the french connection ones anyway? They provide variety already. You might want to replace the chrome floor lamp one with something more traditional looking, in brass or gold? Like this one: http://www.dunelm.com/product/antique-brass-lever-arm-floor-lamp-1000044887

• Misha M
    6 years ago

Hi Ben Cal, sorry, missed your Qs. My thoughts as follows:

2. We have seen a lot of pictures with these art shelves and really like them. How do you think it would work with the picture rail. Could it feel too squashed? Also how far do these used stick out from the wall. The sofa recline so we don’t want to be banging any heads :)

- No, I dont think it will look too squashed, because your ceilings are high and be sure to use a thin shelf not a heavy protruding one so it's your art that is the focus, not the shelf. And maybe just one shelf not two like my pic above w blue sofa.

Re the actual art, if you are no sure what you like yet and for now you want some pops of colour (and I think you said you like word art), consider buying a book of posters by Anthony Burhill. They are simple, funny messages. I have framed mine (see below) and really enjoy them. Then, when you do start to build up an art collection, they still remain fun to intersperse with them. They can look expensive too if you frame well.

3. Hints of gold would work for me. We were thinking to either get some gold or silver things for the coffee table etc. Do you feel gold would work best in this room. What sort of gold hints could we put on the sofa?

Yes to gold, but not sure you need on sofa. A brass or gold coffee table; some fun gold accessories should do it (pics below).

Or - bit more radical, tin effect tiles (stay with me...!) - see below - what do you think?

4. Sideboard sounds great. Do you have any examples of stand out pieces that could work well there?

See pics below of my suggestions.

Posters:

Gold and brass:

Tiles:

Sideboard:

• PRO
    amordesigns
    6 years ago
    Looks fantastic what you have done so far. Love the patterned cushions and different fabrics. I agree a gallery on wall would look fantastic, maybe different frame styles with pictures of places you have visited
    Ben thanked amordesigns
  • PRO
    Saltbox Interiors London
    6 years ago
    Hi, you certainly have a good foundation and the paint is just lovely. I am a big fan of that rug too - Safavieh is always a crowd pleaser.

A gallery wall could be a good way to warm the space - but if pictures aren't your bag consider a mix of pictures (maybe of places you have travelled or local favourites) and other objects to serve as a smart vignette? Ikea has some good short profile shelves that might work without cutting down on head room as you sit. A company called Salt and Printer via Etsy do some really wonderful and fun prints which can be printed at home/copy shop and easily framed in Ikea frames or similar.

Another thing that I noticed right way was the absence of something over your fireplace. A mirror would be a natural choice but some kind of large art works well too.

As for accessories, because your foundation is neutral, you have many choices for accessories. Just remember that the brown sofa and greys are working against each other a little bit so a warm colour is probably best to bridge the gap. Consider griege (grey with brown undertones). What might work really well here is to focus on texture rather colour. Scandinavian inspired accessories such as basket weaves, sheepskins, wool and neutral wood will help to marry the colours together.

Finally, I would consider swapping out your lighting fixture. A large drum pendant might work well to connect the mid/century modern chair with the other pieces in the room, and a shade in white would compliment your lovely paint choices. I would recommend a company called Iberian Lighting for this.

Best of luck with your next steps! Hope this was helpful.
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

Hi. If you want to add colour I'd look at cobalt blue. I like that the colour is also picked up in the art in the first pic. I'd try made.com or rockett st George for art something scandi style as the room looks quite scandustrial. I'd add a round mirror over the fire, this is an antiqued one from notre monde. Unless you need more storage I'd go for a marble console table, I think the frame on this one from French connection goes with the room. If you want to add brass then I'd have that as the predominant metal for warmth. A magazine/book rack next to the sofa will give it a cosy feel (this is from rockett st George and if you search brass they have a lot of great brass bits). If the speakers are staying then I'd personally paint both the doors in the wall colour. Some good faux eucalyptus and brass bowls for the coffee table. I'd also put one plant on the side table and one on the tv unit. If you have a spare space add a really large potted plant

• PRO
    Andrea Sartori Ltd
    6 years ago

Remember the 70-20-10 rule. Main colour - you have chosen grey. What are the other two? A lot of people have suggested metallics, and I agree for the 10 % such as Jewellery accents. Consider your chandelier in spray paint silver, to complement the grey. Then the 20% is only accents such as cushions tiebacks on curtains throws etc. Think seasonal changeables. So don't be scared in choosing a wacky orange cushion or two. It will tie your room together. And when you grow tired of it, you could go lime green, purple or even an elegant navy. Red and grey has been done to death and can look 'out of a catalogue' so because these items are small you can afford to go for a really expensive piece of material that is new up to date and looks top end. You have decided (by your choice of carpet) to go geometric and stark. I don't personally like this choice, but it is yours, so be bold and continue on these lines and choose geometrics and avoid florals. This means that your 'accidental choices' will now become intentional and reinforced by the final touches. Think Georgian meets 70s and you're there. If it was my room, I would have gone full on Georgian, to match the architecture, so you decide and follow through. Do not change your mind half way. And as far as the TV cabinet goes, you say you don't want to lose it. Consider mounting the speakers behind couches along the skirting, so they 'disappear' painting the cabinet the same shade as the wall, and mounting the TV on the wall, as a picture. Is is digital? there are apps one gets of pictures running on it so that it looks like a picture, not a black hole in the wall, think field of flowers or roaring fireplace.

• PRO
    Andrea Sartori Ltd
    6 years ago

Also, you have a lot of 'itty bitty' decor on the mantelpiece. One big well chosen piece is better than 5 tiny ones. I notice that the leather sofa is brown and the others grey. Can you invest in getting a grey cover for the brown to unify the two? Would make a huge difference to the room. Think plain and elegant like grey linen

• Joanna Biddolph
    6 years ago

What I learned some time ago about buying pictures, is to buy what you like. It doesn't matter if it is the most expensive oil painting or a poster of an exhibition or view, if you like it buy it. Even if you are investing in art, buy it because you like it. I also learned that big is better than small (unless you have many and can make a gallery) and having a few pairs, or a trio, is also useful. A small picture on its own seldom adds much and often looks lost. Two spread out looks even sadder. I agree with the comment above about there being too many small things on the mantelpiece. Buy something to go above it first - I prefer having pictures rather than mirrors above fireplaces but it's a personal choice - then arrange a few larger pieces on the mantelpiece; you might even put one of your plants on it. You need height, too, even if it protrudes onto the picture/mirror. Many people on Houzz have talked about the power of three - three pieces (different but complementary sizes or styles) arranged together is very pleasing to the eye. Similarly, three cushions on a sofa (two on one side, one on the other), three things in the same accent colour (not all together but spread around the room). Pairs also look good, of course. It's important not to try too hard but once you get used to the idea of three, it will become second nature. As I've recently discovered! You've got an amazingly handsome room to play with!

• dymmpy
    6 years ago

A picture wall made up of works by the Scottish Colourists would look great. It would be a way of bringing in colour and a theme, that doesn't look like a theme, except to an aficionado. I'd imagine you can buy posters/postcards at Kelvingrove and the Edinburgh art museums. Otherwise you can get them online.

If you don't fancy the colourists, go to your nearest art gallery shop anyway, browse through their posters - it will give you a much better idea of what you want/what will work in the space.

• carolinejackson2a
    6 years ago

Love the idea of one big picture behind the sofa, rather than two. The two rows of pictures above the TV look great too. I recently decorated my room and ran out of budget, I bought my artwork and cushions from "The Range," the picture cost just £20, but looks stunning. Some of my friends have like the pictures so much they have gone and bought their own! Whilst it might be nice to own an original, or limited edition print, it's not necessary. At the price I paid I can afford to change it whenever I want, not that I want to. Not everything in a room has to be "high end" to get the look and having a lovely room within budget verses an unfinished room or a room which has plunged you into debt is the best option. The Range also have some lovely metallic cushions, OK they probably won't last 20 years, but who wants cushions for 20 years anyway! Checkout Dunelm too!

• Michelle Theodorou
    6 years ago
    If your fire is not in use, have you thought about using vinyl tile stickers on top of the tiles you already have on your fireplace? That way you can tailor your scheme to the colours you choose rather than trying to work the scheme too what you already have.
  • Henry Gilbert
    6 years ago
    You could add a number of things to help bring life to the room. You have chosen the perfect muted colour scheme that will complement lots of art work and colours. From your photos I would say you could add a large mirror above the fire place- you could go for something to complement the period of the property and fireplace or something slightly more industrial would work as it looks like you are already mixing contemporary and period with your choices of furniture and finishes. Art will be a huge help as well. Choose some large and smaller pieces to compliment the size of the room- you look like you enjoy your music and media (from the large tv and speakers) maybe some repro or original posters of favourite films? Or framed vinyl covers of you favourite albums. Pick things that you aesthetically connect with. Art is personal and should be something you enjoy every time you look at it, so pick pieces because you like them. It doesn’t need to be expensive. You could also think about a statement clock in the room as well. Lots of options I would say. Do not feel limited by a particular colour scheme with the art- go with things you enjoy looking at.
    For the sofa -with throws-mimic nature- stick to earthy tones grey browns you can pick up lots of cosy throws in these colours or animal Hyde type colours or actual Hyde’s...and once you have chosen your art- find cushions that are different sizes and textures (not leather) to help soften the look of the sofa and draw the eye away from its shape and on to the cushions! Or go with the nature theme and embrace the animal Hyde’s colours and it will all tie in with the leather.
    Of course these suggestions depend on personal preference but there are lots of ideas on houzz and pictures that can help with inspiration...hope my suggestions are of use!!
United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.