natalie_isherwood

Refurbing a Tiny One Bedroom Bungalow

Natalie I
6 years ago

At the other end of the spectrum to a big budget renovation, here is mine- renovating a one bedroom bungalow on a small budget!

A couple of aspects of the bungalow's layout that I thought needed addressing to aid resale was only access to garden through the bedroom and no daylight in the bathroom.

Living room After

The bedroom ran the length of the rear of the bungalow so to gain garden access, I stole a third of the bedroom to make a small dining area off the living room, added a door to the garden and double doors to the living room. I staged it as dining room for sale as too narrow to be classified as a bedroom but it gave the impression it could be used as an occasional bedroom. An additional benefit was the enhanced sightline from the front door, through the new room into the garden which helped to increase the feeling of size and light in the living room. New room is on the right of the photo below.

Living Room Before

Two cupboards, one facing into the living room, were removed to provide an opening to the new room.

New Room After

Kitchen Before
The units and oven were in good order (although dirty!). Replacing would have eaten into the budget so kept them, added soft close hinges and changed everything else.
Kitchen After

Replaced flooring, worktops, wall panels (over original tiles) and redecorated. New stainless steel appliances to match the oven. Also replaced single door to living room for panelled double doors. The space behind the bar stool is for a washing machine.

Bedroom Before

Bedroom After

I think the patio doors into the garden are a lovely feature now that they are not the only access into the garden.

Bathroom After

Thinking of target group, replaced bath for large shower. Added a sun tunnel to gain natural light into the windowless room. Never used a sun tunnel before- very impressed. It seems to bring the same amount of light into the room as a window.

Garden After

I was particularly pleased that the new door blended in and didn't look like a new addition! The garden was already graveled so thinking of target group, reluctantly left it.

Layout After

I haven't got a before layout but the main layout change was the addition of the new room providing access to the rear- called "bedroom" here but not called that in the sales particulars. The bungalow is now sold. On to the next project!

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.